pups

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

M'N'R kennels

pups

Post by M'N'R kennels »

I just had a litter of pups today about 2 and its 7 hours later and the gyp isnt producing milk. what do i need to do. i dont want to loose these pups any help would be appreciated.

johns03272008

Re: pups

Post by johns03272008 »

Was she producing before the pups where here? Also go to a farm fleet store get calf milk replacer or try to find a female that just a litter and is still producing milk as a seragant mother
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

LET THE DOGS DO THE TALKING
www.bornagainkennels.weebly.com

M'N'R kennels

Post by M'N'R kennels »

No she wasnt producing before the pups and this is her first litter she is 4 years old and im going to buy some replacer milk thanks for the info

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Go ahead and let the puppies nurse on her, it will stimulate the milk to drop, they need the colostrum of the first milk for immune anti-bodies .
Eblac puppy milk replacer or goats milk will do to keep them going.
Good luck with the pups..

iowabeagler

Post by iowabeagler »

Have you tried milking it out of her? Sometimes it gets plugged. Manually milking could get it to come out.

M'N'R kennels

Post by M'N'R kennels »

I left the pups with the mom every time i check on them i pupt them on the tit. but i will try to milk her. if it doesnt work by this evening i will have to feed them the replacer milk. and thanks for advice

beagleman23

Post by beagleman23 »

they dont produce milk untill a day or two later after pups keep trying to nurse.

Newt

Post by Newt »

Are the pups restles and trying to nurse? If they are laying contented they are probably getting enough.

M'N'R kennels

Post by M'N'R kennels »

I havent checked on them in a while but dad has and he said they were all sucking so im guessing she is producing but i bought some pup formula at southern states. going to give them all a few oz in the morning thanks for advice and input

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

beagleman23 wrote:they dont produce milk untill a day or two later after pups keep trying to nurse.
Do what?????? The female should be full of milk before the pups are even born!!
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

LET THE DOGS DO THE TALKING
www.bornagainkennels.weebly.com

hawkeyee

Post by hawkeyee »

Oxytocin helps to stimulate milk release after delivery. talk to your vet. this will help her release the milk for the pups you better do it soon pups need to feed .

M'N'R kennels

Post by M'N'R kennels »

this is her first litter maybe thats why she didnt start producing milk. but she is now. but im going to feed them all a bottle each morning for the next week or two. the pups seem fine there are 5 strong ones and the runt died i figured he would he didnt look sharp when he came out