beagle speed

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

lebro

beagle speed

Post by lebro »

how do you rate speed? do you do it by how fast they are while running a rabbit or by how fast they circle a rabbit. not looking to find out what you think is the best way and how you personally do it. my dogs run a 7.37 and i like to judge on the whole race.
broad ridge blaze,critter, delta, everstrong

MaineDogs

Re: beagle speed

Post by MaineDogs »

track speed, the speed that the hound pushes the rabbit. Differnt rabbits circle in differnt sizes so that would be a hard way to judge.

7.37? is that the speed you see on your garmin?

walkerdogman85

Post by walkerdogman85 »

I asked that same question the other day at at hunt and the answer I got was what you may call a 7 may be what I would call a 5. I am new to this and wonder the same thing but I understand what they told me as to everyone has different opinions on speed. But I sure would like to hear some more opinions on this to help me along
Michael West
1-740-502-8956
http://www.simmonsrunbeagles.com/

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

I tell you what i done 25 years ago.I started buying dogs from hunters who said they would not keep up with there fast dogs.Got some good dogs doing this too.I could get the slower dogs and let me tell you.They could flat out run a rabbit.just the other day a man stop at the running pen and gave a good looking dog away for not keeping up.The other man has hunted over the dog and said money cannot buy the dog.To me I would buy one faster when they say Can t keep up,than one saying he to fast.From med speed on up.because your med might be different than mind.I didnot used the 1 to 10 number.When you say can t keep up.I wanted to look.

PREACHERS KENNEL

Post by PREACHERS KENNEL »

brace dog you can walk beside it while it is running a rabbit, SLOW

MEDIUM- speed dogs have to trot at times to keep up

uppermedium your not keeping up good at all if they are at full cry //full run if you dont mind getting cutup can keep you close.

FAST- just sit and listen they are buring it up lol. you cant run full speed and keep up but its fun to try
ACTS 2:38=repent,baptised in the name of jesus christ,receive the holy ghost!

lebro

Post by lebro »

The speed was a joke on the 7.5 thing. I was just wondering if people with fast dogs take the down time into consideration or if they only judge dogs between checks.
broad ridge blaze,critter, delta, everstrong

Rabbithoundjb

Post by Rabbithoundjb »

Lebro I think you have hit on it. I have seen a lot of dogs fast from A to B that where not much from A to Z. Different people see speed in different ways. I like a fast dog but I don't like many long break downs and I don't want a bunch of short ones either. Running conditions also play a part but a rough dog is a rough dog and hole in the ground blower is a hole in the ground blower regardless of conditions.

MaineDogs

Post by MaineDogs »

To me, time in a check has nothing to do with judging the dogs track speed, it has to do with the quality of your dog. Obviously if he spends too much time in break downs hes going to be slower than if steady while circling a rabbit.
like said by preachers kennel, FAST; is a beagle running full tilt and you not being able to keep up with him, even back when you were in grade school. This dog that can flat out move on the track is "fast" but if his runs are stop and go......stop and go then hes got too much foot speed for is nose/brains but hes still a fast style hound. JMO.

beagleman23

Post by beagleman23 »

its all opinion . i would call little pack dogs 7 to 9 speed, same with pkc , ukc pp i would tend to say 6 or 7 speed dogs. . . ukc h and h i would want a 7 to 8 speed dog with good check ability and drive. . . . Micheal most dogs in our area would be a 6.5 to 8 on speed more upper medium to fast dogs is what it takes to compete here.

walkerdogman85

Post by walkerdogman85 »

Beagleman where do you live? I live in Coshocton ohio
Michael West
1-740-502-8956
http://www.simmonsrunbeagles.com/

fulcount

Post by fulcount »

I believe Most dogs have a 10 foot speed
its their NOSE speed we have to question,The dog that is a hooking swinging etc is
ddisrupting the pack out front looking for scent Primarily because he doesn't have
a nose and is looking for high scent and is over competitive
MY opinion

warddog

Post by warddog »

When I consider a beagle's speed I am looking at the speed in which it runs the track when it has it and not how fast or slow it completes the entire race. I also judge speed when the conditions are such that the dogs can run so as to judge how they move a track naturally. I also believe as Fulcount stated there are many things that affect a hounds speed of foot when under field conditions but when I consider foot speed it is when the dog(s) get the opportunity to move a track at their natural, God given pace. There are many element issue that impact the speed of the race but I believe there are many physical issues that do so as well. Nose being one, length of legs, body size, shape, lung capacity and overall physical condition. Hey, didn't I just describe the things that when put together form the beagle standard? I wonder why the framers of it put height in the standards. Hello, it's all relevent in the complete package.

fulcount

Post by fulcount »

Well stated Ward Dog

island ridge hounds

Post by island ridge hounds »

i like a fast dog as long as he can run a rabbit. i judge speed buy how close they stay to the rabbit. if they loose him alot there not going to be very close. if they run the rabbit he'll come by you at a rather fast clip and they'll be close buy. i enjoy seeing the rabbit and the dogs at the same time.
let honesty run through the veins of each and every judge at each and every trial at each and
every format.

wireman252

Post by wireman252 »

warddog wrote:When I consider a beagle's speed I am looking at the speed in which it runs the track when it has it and not how fast or slow it completes the entire race. I also judge speed when the conditions are such that the dogs can run so as to judge how they move a track naturally. I also believe as Fulcount stated there are many things that affect a hounds speed of foot when under field conditions but when I consider foot speed it is when the dog(s) get the opportunity to move a track at their natural, God given pace. There are many element issue that impact the speed of the race but I believe there are many physical issues that do so as well. Nose being one, length of legs, body size, shape, lung capacity and overall physical condition. Hey, didn't I just describe the things that when put together form the beagle standard? I wonder why the framers of it put height in the standards. Hello, it's all relevent in the complete package.
I agree with you 100% on this. But I also look for one more thing. They gotta have the "Want to" . Seen many dogs put together very nicely and have the "look" like they could float , only to see a lack of "want to" and just simply run in the middle of the pack (or even the back) and never push for the front. Not necessarily a bad rabbit dog for some , but not what I'm looking for. I believe your reference to God given pace , is simply stemmed from the "want to"
JMO