Decline in ARHA

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

JCM

Decline in ARHA

Post by JCM »

We are less than two months from the ARHA Little Pack World Hunt and entries are so low. In years past there was always a spike in entries as the World Hunt approached. I don't see that this year. I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this and/or is concerned about this.

kjohn2hunt

Re: Decline in ARHA

Post by kjohn2hunt »

Seeing the same thing. Usually I hit a trail every weekend and I've only been to 2 hunts this year. Gas prices!
RC Johnson's Rock'em Sugar
RC Johnson's Rock'em Jack
RC Copelands Super Dooper
GBC RC Peters P&P Jake
Johnson's Hydro
RC Johnson's Rock'em Voodoo
14 others in the making

EMeade III

Post by EMeade III »

I think money plays a part in it and gas prices but not as much as most people think. Those same guys that say gas prices are still driving to run there dogs 5 days a week plus driving and hunting all day on weekends. Plus some have tried other registries to see what's out there. Or in my case don't have much dog power right now but dad and I are coming back soon. We r still little pack guys from way back.

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

Wait until the third quarter of this year. Talk about bad, it will hit the fan then.
Good thing is if the good dog entries get low enough, maybe one of my old dogs might win something.

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

Jim the fewer the entries the better chance we got. :nod: .....Obama has slowed us all down.
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

lost inters.Money,dogs food price.Jobs.Its nothing like it used to be.I used to have two different trial at one time sometime three.Now the only thing I can do is one.Be luckly to have enuff to do that trial.

toldyouso

Post by toldyouso »

Why? Look how they have treated people in the last few years not to mention the number and quality of judges have taken a nose dive. And there r other organizations like pkc that just make more sense. Everyone can judge 8 to 99 and why run for a trophy if there is a little cash involved. Just saying. I believe this is some of the problem but ha maybe i am wrong have been wrong before just cant remember when. LOL

island ridge hounds

Post by island ridge hounds »

could be winners, if you go to trials week in and week out and the same guy or guys are winning why bet your head against a wall. pkc its just another format, from what i've seen in the result columns there's not a lot of people or money getting won. up north i think its taking holt better than in the south. young judges have always been a issue for all the clubs. i would agree that you don't see the youngsters even coming to the hunts like once before. i also know if your a young man, judging is being shoved at you as soon as everyone gets acquianted with you. runs alot of them off.
let honesty run through the veins of each and every judge at each and every trial at each and
every format.

toldyouso

Post by toldyouso »

I agree r youth r not as rugged as we once were. But whos at fault for this. My father and i lived in the woods thats what we did now alot of young men dont even know there dads. I think when you say the same people winning it couldnt be that the same people just have better dogs could it? I dont know i trial every week end and win my share. Which may be that i am one of the same people winning but believe me i have lost ALOT more then i have won. I use to own Jake. Great dog i here you have a pup out of him. island ridge hounds

island ridge hounds

Post by island ridge hounds »

well i had a pup out of him and getting a youngman started in trialing i sold him the dog and wished i hadn't. he's just like i lik'em can run a rabbit and put the rabbit in fear of his life. i do have a pup out of this dog thats doing alright, he's alittle tighter than his dad but thats ok i can suffer through it. lol
let honesty run through the veins of each and every judge at each and every trial at each and
every format.

holeshot kennel

Post by holeshot kennel »

cant speak for evbdy but for me its like a job now when it used to be a hobby when u work 12hr days your feet and ankles kill you then u feel like you have to run to stay competitive but you would rather sit in the recliner and drink coffee.i havent been able to just go to a club hunt and kick back for 18 years always gotta judge.kinda like an old dog i just cant keep up anymore im 42 and weigh 210 not 18 and 150lbs anymore we will always be houndsman but if younger gen.dont step up trialing is gna be a dead sport cuz of the lack of judges dogs are getn faster and better and harder to keep up with but that means we are bettering the breed.we need judges like earl jr to come back cant have enuf young knoweledgeable judges thats for sure
Lprch chasteens j&k Tom terrific(3 wins)
LP dual grch 2012 ill St champ twin pines Bernie
Lprch chasteens holeshot Amy
chasteens holeshot birdy

Joseph J Murphy

Post by Joseph J Murphy »

Working 72 to 84 hours a week !No time for trials ,much less getting a dog ready for one .

J Murphy Murphy's Kennel
Bring on Dream Team 3 !!!!!!

JCM

Post by JCM »

I have heard a lot of people say that since they took away the Top 10 Runoff, it just isn't the same. I know it sure was exciting to watch this the day before the World Hunt. I wonder how many entries were lost due to this?

COB4190

Post by COB4190 »

None

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

The guys like you Jim have gotton some age, playstations have hurt us alot. The interest just aint there for alot of kids. It basically means getting off off the couch. The youngster that are there are dedicated. You know as well as any this hobby requires endless hours of dedication.
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.