4 Yotes Helping Rabbit Population

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

SMITTY1233

4 Yotes Helping Rabbit Population

Post by SMITTY1233 »

Finally some good conditions... Saturday we started in a section away from our home grounds but one we run in quite a bit. We had one blow the section and we went after him and another blew out of that section where we can't go. Picked the dogs up at the road crossing. Looked at the Garmin and Booty was still running another yote in the other side of the section. Got some dogs back into her and Jason killed him. We then moved to our section where we got on a nasty female. Round and round she went. I think we had 20 some shots at her a few hits but she didn't slow down. After about a 10 mile chase in the section the dogs caught her and bayed her up in an open field. I walked in and shot her in the head with the pistol as the dogs were getting chewed up pretty good. Nothing serious but most of them came out bloody.

On Sunday we ran another section and got a yote up right away. As we were putting the dogs on the yote Ryan said it blew the south road which is quite a ways away. Dan and I thought can't be the same one so we dropped the dogs on the line. Sure enough it was a different and Booty, Flurry and Mollie circled it for an hour or so before Dan ended his life. Nice 40lb Male. We then dropped on the one that blew the section. Round and round they went on that one as well. Dan ended up getting some buck shot in him and I walked my son into the bay up and let him finish it off with the .22. He did awesome job was pretty excited.

Ryan's plott Mollie put on around 30 miles this weeekend and went from puppy to hound right before our eyes. Any good hound you have you always remember that day where the light switch totally switched and for Mollie that was this weekend. We killed two Sunday without our top hound ever seeing the ground. Exciting to see the young and upcomers turning it on.

hounds... hare.... hunter.... bang... what gets better than that.
SMITH BROS. BEAGLES
KRIS SMITH
517-881-0353

BCBeagles

Re: 4 Yotes Helping Rabbit Population

Post by BCBeagles »

Awesome hunts, thanks for sharing!

warddog

Post by warddog »

Nice job Smitty. Keep bustin them lousy yotes!

gun runner

Post by gun runner »

nice,i will try that one time looks like alot of fun.
LYNCH MOB KENNEL

LITAWAY'S CAPITAIN COLT COMMANDER
AWFULBAWLIN SMOKEN RED RYDER

SMITTY1233

Post by SMITTY1233 »

I have owned and hunted beagles since before I could walk. It got to the point in the Norther Lower Penn Of MI that we couldn't find a hare. One year we went 4.5 hours between jumps. A cousin who was in the military had a hound and was getting rid of it and we took her in. She turned out to be a coyote hating machine. She also has a few cats to her credit. Its not like running hare or rabbits but its a lot of fun. I still keep one beagle around and have one beagle pup currently as well. This coyote stuff is addicting. I love it...
SMITH BROS. BEAGLES
KRIS SMITH
517-881-0353

gun runner

Post by gun runner »

If i had some down here in md i would give you a invite,but we have plenty of rabbits and and very very few yotes you may see one once in a blue moon,and do not want them. great pic
LYNCH MOB KENNEL

LITAWAY'S CAPITAIN COLT COMMANDER
AWFULBAWLIN SMOKEN RED RYDER

packmaster

Post by packmaster »

Nice Job Guys!,and thank you for killing all those yotes! you are doing the rabbit population a huge favor.

Rabbitridgerunner

Post by Rabbitridgerunner »

Great post and great pics. Thanks for sharing and shooting them yotes!

ken pack

Post by ken pack »

Good Story keep up the GOOD WORK :!:

reddog1

Post by reddog1 »

Kris, That looks like Dan Maniel holding the red hound. I used to Goose hunt with him and is that Nip that the boy is hanging on to.

SMITTY1233

Post by SMITTY1233 »

reddog1 wrote:Kris, That looks like Dan Maniel holding the red hound. I used to Goose hunt with him and is that Nip that the boy is hanging on to.
Correct on both... Dan has been hunting with us for years now. Good guy and has some unbelievable stories of hunting and fishing.

Nip is getting a little grey in the muzzle. She has been ran hard in her lifetime but she absolutely hates a coyote. Be tough to ever find another one as good as her.
SMITH BROS. BEAGLES
KRIS SMITH
517-881-0353

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

I WANT TO THANK YOU.THE DEER HUNTERS ARE ALSO KILLING THEM AROUND HERE.THEY GOT TEN IN ONE WEEK.THERE USEDING THE YOTE CALLER.THEY SAY THERE JUST CALLING THEM IN.ANYWAY IS ALRIGHT WITH ME.THANKS.

wvduece

Post by wvduece »

couldnt have seen a better pic unless there was more dead yotes kill them all they give our beagles a hard time down here wished we had more yote hunters they are taking over the place great job n great pic jb
.ImageJUST AS JOHN SEES IT

wvduece

Post by wvduece »

hate to point the finger on anybody but wvdnr has stocked them down here to help control the deer population the insurance companys are putting pressure on the dnr but the fox hunters also bring them in as well ill shoot any yote or fox i see dont like either
.ImageJUST AS JOHN SEES IT

reddog1

Post by reddog1 »

Yup, I always had fun hunting with Dan as we would stand around or lay around waiting for the geese to show up talking about hunting.
I remember when Jason first got Nip, I was getting out of the big dogs and switching over to running coyote with Patch Hounds. I just have rabbit dogs now, my last coyote beagle died a few years ago.