line breeding

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

lebro

line breeding

Post by lebro »

if dogs are line bred heavily will this tend to throw smaller dogs?
broad ridge blaze,critter, delta, everstrong

bwe007

Re: line breeding

Post by bwe007 »

depends on the genetics. no way anyone can answer your question with any certainty based on the info provided.
LPRC LPGRBC COAL HILL'S PRINCESS WILLOW 2010 PA STATE CHAMP 2012 PA STATE RESERVE
LPRC HAWG DAWG'S CUPID R.I.P.
LPRC LPBCH EMRICH'S BLUE WILLIE
RHOADE'S ROYAL BLU BELLE R.I.P.

patchgirl

Post by patchgirl »

In the March Hounds and Hunting Magazine there is an article about Weircreek Hounds of Yesteryear. I believe that the author noticed that when he had heavy line breeding in that bloodline the females tended to get smaller. Just something I remembered from the article...
Sunny's Blue Moon Lola Daisy
Booman Reaume's Storm Chaser
WWB Run N Gun Paris

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

Yes, it can and does happen. Some bloodlines it's more noticeable as bwe stated, but usually results in 1 or 2 pups not entire litters.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

chris83

Post by chris83 »

yes, and when a heavy line bred dog is bred to an outcross they will shrink down some of those as well. Or at least thats how it turned out for me.
lprc Harlow's To Small Jax's
lprc Harlow's Attila The Honey

19rabbit52

Post by 19rabbit52 »

I'm no breeder so I certainly don't know, but why is there so many line bred patch hounds that stay very large? I also haven't read any thing about it except if small dogs are in their blood good chance of small dogs and large ancestors are more apt to give you large. Am I wrong in my thinking?

Shotgun John

Post by Shotgun John »

I have bred a couple of litters and decided to breed a son back to the mother. The pup turned out pretty big and had an extremely loud bark. I got rid of him because he was a eunuch. I thought he was a nice looking dog and hated to get rid of him.

Panther Creek

Post by Panther Creek »

I would call a son-mother cross inbreeding.
Panther Creek Beagles
Be faithful unto death, and I will give you a crown of life. Rev. 2:10

DINGUS MAN

Post by DINGUS MAN »

First of all, Im no expert. In my experiances Heavy linebreeding programs do loose there size after a some years of linebreeding hard and It takes an outcross to bring everything back in order. Not a complete outcross has to be done but one with same bloodline with different dogs up close in ped. Also I have noticed that some deformaties start to come out in an heavy linebred program and those have to be culls asap. Thats my 2 cents worth but not an expert. Hope this helps some.

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Shotgun john
When you say your dog was a eunuch I assume you mean he had no balls?There is a condition where the male is born with both testicles but they fail to decend or drop into his sack and are retained up in his groin.If both testicles are retained they are known as a cryptorcid and if only one is retained and the other drops they are known as a monorchid.Usually the cryptorchid will be sterile but not always.The monorchid can usually breed with one functioning testicle.
You don't want to use a male with either condition in your breeding progeam as this condition is a genetically inherited condition that can be passed on often skipping generations.
Genetically inherited conditions are NOT caused by in-breeding or liebreeding.They are simply EXPOSED by using these methods.The closer you breed the more you increase the percentages of not only getting the positive traits/charecteristics you seek but you also increase your chances of unveiling something in the hounds genetic background that has been hidden from view and that you don't want.Thus it would appear thar somewhere in the background of your hound that some ancestor is a carrier for the gene governing chryptorchism.
It's scientific fact that close breeding does not CREATE that which is not there to begin with.You can not get out of the bank that which has not already been deposited there.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

PREACHERS KENNEL

Post by PREACHERS KENNEL »

in every line there are dogs within the line ,some bigger some smaller..within every line some produce bigger some smaller ,,.you just learn what you want ,like whatever. and go with that ..

some like the bigger patches and have need nproducing them a lont time . i prefer the smaller ones and have been producing them for a while . every now and then i may have a 12 patch usually a female sometimes i have a 15 inch male //but thats my range mostly mine are 14 ish in males 13 ish in females.
ACTS 2:38=repent,baptised in the name of jesus christ,receive the holy ghost!

19rabbit52

Post by 19rabbit52 »

When I was talking about large Patch hounds I meant they are just reproducing what's in them(their genetics). I don't believe line breeding is going to make any smaller dogs than is in their genes. I think that determines their size. Only real difference in line breeding and inbreeding is people like the sounds of one better than the other. Best bird dogs I ever owned(best looking too), was an accidental brother sister cross.

Shotgun John

Post by Shotgun John »

Shady Grove Beagles wrote:Shotgun john
When you say your dog was a eunuch I assume you mean he had no balls?
Yes that is what I mean. He was calm and mild mannered.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

lebro wrote:if dogs are line bred heavily will this tend to throw smaller dogs?
Line breeding usually leaves enough variance that selection over time will determine the larger portion of size.
Inbreeding heavily, the first things I saw a loss of was, fineness of bone and weakening/soft mouth(voice). Size never suffered but you'll get lite bone often referred to as becoming "weedy".
Using/selecting a dog hound of masculine constitution when breeding will offset and correct this weakness.

lebro

Post by lebro »

thanks for the reply's. to me inbreeding is something like a mother/son or half brother or sister and line breeding is 3 or more generations of inbreeding heavy line bred means 6 or more gen. of line breeding. heavy line bred dogs are what im referring to. i have a heavy line bred dingus female with an outcsoss on shooter that im referring to. she is 13" and im just thinking about what i would breed her to. i like the green bay line of dogs but am wondering about them being smaller dogs. i dont necessarily want big dogs i just dont want a tiny dog.
broad ridge blaze,critter, delta, everstrong