rabbit hunting/beagle magazines

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

big w beagles

rabbit hunting/beagle magazines

Post by big w beagles »

Why do beagle magazines publish stories where the hunters shoot a majority of their rabbits on the jump? I understand that some people may need the meat to feed their families, so that is not what I'm talking about. It just upsets me that the magazines publish stories that are not based on the ability of the dogs to circle the rabbit back to the hunters. One story several months ago was about some executives who bragged about how many rabbits they killed on a hunt and hardly any were shot after the dogs had brought the rabbit back to them. Nearly every rabbit was shot on the jump. A more recent story about a group of hunters and their beagles and again many of the rabbits were shot on the jump. Most often the dogs did not even jump the rabbit. I've been hunting rabbits for 50 years and the rule has always been that no one shoots until the rabbit has been circled by the dogs. When I read the magazines, I want to read about the work of the dogs, not about the fantastic shot someone made on the jump. I don't want to stir up a hornets nest, but I just had to get this pet-peeve off my chest. There are alot of good hunting stories in the magazines that praise the dogs for their ability to run a rabbit.

begles

Re: rabbit hunting/beagle magazines

Post by begles »

I agree 100% i won`t kill one till it has been circleed. You are going to bring home less but you realy are bringing home. Your bringing home a better dog from the experence of that day.And there you have a better story.

wvduece

Post by wvduece »

where i live theres probally more meat hunters than pleasure hunters i dont even carry a gun during rabbit season but i usually year round jb
.ImageJUST AS JOHN SEES IT

Big Mike

Post by Big Mike »

I run my hounds daily, but haven't killed 5 rabbits total in the last three years combined. I will shoot a couple to pups, but that's it. Since my youngest dog is 4 years old , no need to shoot any, these plugs know what to do. A Dead rabbit will never run again.
Big Mike

steveh

Post by steveh »

Well I haven't read the magezines but to me there are 2 different kinds of guys with beagles. Rabbit hunters and houndsmen. 1st one goes out to kill as many as they can how ever they can and sees thier accomplishment in a picture at the end of the day, 2nd one sees thier accomplishments in a pup that takes thier 1st rabbit. Thier pack that works together and burn rabbits all day. No picture needed for that.

I have been both, when I was younger running my dogs and shooting rabbits it was fun. No, it was a blast. Now, well I killed 4 rabbits this year and 1 snowshoe. I still hunt with my buddy like we have for the last 30 years but now we dont need to see pictures, just our dogs working a rabbit.

I for one see the fun on both sides of the fence but these days, letting them run is good enough for me.

nchunter102

Post by nchunter102 »

There dogs, there rabbits..it's not against the law.. :gunguy: I enjoy killing rabbits and seeing dogs work..I don't jump shoot, but I don't have a problem with people doing it.

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

First time I hunt with somebody whether it's another beagler or just somebody who wants to go and shoot a few rabbits with hounds.NO SHOOTING on the jump! I'm here for the dogs.It's all about the dogs.I'm definetly not oppossed to shooting rabbits in front of my dogs although I usually let other folks do most of the shooting.But,I want to have a good run before ending the chase.I'd much rather shoot a cottontail streaking past and running for his life thean to shoot one that's just tip-toeing through a thicket .Or take a hare after the hounds have pounded on him for an hour or two.Much more satisfying.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

cpuckett

Post by cpuckett »

jump shooting can easily result into a DEAD DOG before the day is over,we do kill alot of rabbits but none are on the jump dogs are runnin all that we kill
Puckett's Ridge Squallin Kennel