Beagles having trouble running on snow In Michigan

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

houndsman

Beagles having trouble running on snow In Michigan

Post by houndsman »

Hey I have a question I have bought 3 beagles from Indiana and 1 from Ohio all good bloodlines and all the dogs are aged from 8 months to 16 months old and 3 are running so so after 1 month, and the other 1 is acting like it has never smelled a rabbit before or seen snow ..I seen each dog run before I bought them and brought them home and let them settle in for a few days before I ran them but man it is a pain starting all over with them, DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THIS IS common to have problems like this with dogs from other states that doesn't have snow like we do here in Michigan????

mybeagles

Re: Beagles having trouble running on snow In Michigan

Post by mybeagles »

Many of the field trial line of dogs have the nose bred out of them. This is not something new as most guys would prefer a dog that never barks out of place rather than a dog that can run in tough conditions. If somebody tells you they have a dog that can run in tough conditions and never barks out of place turn and walk away. You likely have some of these dogs. Your dogs will likely be able to run on snow when the scenting conditions are excellent but when conditions are poor it's probably better to stay at home. Guys looking for dogs with extreme cold noses that can run in tough running conditions are going in opposite direction of the guys breeding for field trials.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

patchgirl

Post by patchgirl »

The type of snow might be a factor in it. I know a few weeks ago when we had that crusty, icy snow on the ground, one of my young dogs had a tough time on it. It was like scenting on ice. She does fine in the fluffy stuff though.
Sunny's Blue Moon Lola Daisy
Booman Reaume's Storm Chaser
WWB Run N Gun Paris

19rabbit52

Post by 19rabbit52 »

It is not unusual for a dog to have to get used to it's new surroundings before it will hunt right. But to have 4 act like this is kind of unusual..What other people have posted here makes me wonder what happened to the dogs we ran i my youth (1960's), that did a good job running rabbits hot ,cold, rain, shine, snow, ice, didn't matter. Grade dogs that that always accounted for their game. Haven't seen that type of dog in a long time.

SMITTY1233

Post by SMITTY1233 »

I have ran beagles in Michigan for the better part of 20+ years. I have seen many many dogs. I have seen many guys that claim they have a dog that can run a rabbit in any condition. In all my years I've never owned on. I've owned a few that were solid and got it done a majority of the time in the crappy northern winters of MI. My cousin raised a pup called Stinetime Ivy and sold to a neighbor and good friend. I never dropped that dog in conditions that she coudln't run. However just like the post above she would occasionaly cold trail and bark out of place. Something that really bothered me in the beginning because I viewed it as a fault. The longer and more I hunted this little bitch the more I realized it wasn't a fault but a unique trait that a very small percentage of beagles have. I can tell you that I'm the toughest critic of a hound. I don't want to know how many ribbons or plaques they've won I want to see them dropped at -10 with 25+ mph wind in a cedar swamp and see how they do. There aren't many that take make that grade let me tell you. I trialed Ivy 3 times myself in the midwest. She never had a chance to win a trial because of lack of foot. She placed in two of those three trials and in my estimation if you would have taken the winner or top two out and put them in the conditions I described above she would have had her way with them. Why are all trials or most trials ran in April or May during peak scenting conditions. You guessed it. People don't like to watch a trial where the dogs really are grubbing on 10 day old crusty snow. They want a wet soft sod where the dogs rarely have to put their nose down. The trials have submstituted foot for nose and it shows in our hunting beagles at times. I'm not hear to trial bash. I've been to a few and really enjoy the comraderie with other houndsmen. However I'm wise enough now to understand you don't judge a beagle anywhere but under the gun in hunting conditions. Good luck with your hounds
hounds... hare.... hunter.... bang... what gets better than that.
SMITH BROS. BEAGLES
KRIS SMITH
517-881-0353

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

Smitty1233, Was Stinetime Ivy, a Mr. Bill/Kalagha bred hound?

SMITTY1233

Post by SMITTY1233 »

Not to my knowledge. Was of Stinetime Maine Snitch who was off Ranger Dan. Female I can't recall right now... mybeagles would be able to answer that question for you.
SMITH BROS. BEAGLES
KRIS SMITH
517-881-0353

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

The sire to that female was Ranger Dan X Satsuma the dam was Backriver Hanover breeding, Some breeding out east as I understand. Ralph Lovell from Olivete MI was the breeder.
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

SMITTY1233

Post by SMITTY1233 »

Backriver Hanover Kate I think maybe. So the top and bottom to Ivy was Ranger Dan? I know Stinetime Maine Snitch was out of Dan. That was Ivy Sire if I'm not mistaken.
SMITH BROS. BEAGLES
KRIS SMITH
517-881-0353

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

The reason I asked is that I have seen a hound or two with the Stinetime name and they were Kalagha and or Mr. Bill bred. I would guess that Stinetime is a kennel name but seems to be uncommon, Thanks.

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

Ralph Lovell's kennel name is Stine time and yes he had a real nice Kaligha male named Moe. Ralph likes a clean/smooth running hound so he has some of the bloodlines you mentioned.
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

mybeagles, Thanks.

houndsman

Post by houndsman »

Thanks guys for all your input it is appreciated alot..I have owned alot of good grade rabbit hounds and sold out and now I have been back in it for 2 1/2 years now, and I dont run trials never have but would like to try once in a while, but my main concern was spending good money on good blood lines so I could have good dogs just to find out they don't like running in snow.I just didn't think that I would have dogs I have to start all over again, Heck my 6 month old pup makes them look real bad..I think the 3 are gonna be good dogs because they are all picking it up good but my Reggie pup that is 8 months old that run good in Ohio has been here for 2 1/2 weeks and hasnt even remotely tried to run a rabbit.I am gonna give him a chance to run because the snow is going but if not I guess he will make someone a good house dog LOL but again I appreciate all of your input guys thanks alot...

SMITTY1233

Post by SMITTY1233 »

papers don't make good dogs... However in my expierence solid bred beagles usually turn out at minimum average with enough time on them. Exceptions to all rules. I'd give the dog time there are things such as late bloomers.
SMITH BROS. BEAGLES
KRIS SMITH
517-881-0353