Broken leg

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

lebro

Broken leg

Post by lebro »

One of my females got hit by a car this morning and broke her leg. X-rays show her thigh bone is broke clean right above knee. Her pelvis is ok. We are gonna splint the leg and let it heal. Anyone have any experience with recovery times and how well they will recover.
broad ridge blaze,critter, delta, everstrong

Black Rock Kennels

Re: Broken leg

Post by Black Rock Kennels »

darn Lee hate to hear that which female was it
Home of Black Rock Kennels
LPRCH Powerhouse's Sarge

lebro

Post by lebro »

Blaze

chris1971

Post by chris1971 »

image.jpg
image.jpg (31.62 KiB) Viewed 2905 times
Lee i am afraid i have had the same issue with my female. Got her leg hung and xray showed complete break about 1/2 inch above the knee. My vet said he would splint it but didnt have much hope because of were the break was located. He sent xray to a surgen and he told my vet were the break was he could not help. So after splinting and trying to keep ot in place i went back 3 weeks later and it had moved. It is almost imposoble to keep them still enough for leg to heal in a splint. My vet and i made the decision to remove her leg. I really thought it was going to be a pain in the butt, but within 10 days i took her out to get some exercise and holy cow she was running and jumping off our retaining wall with no problem. Long story short i may be kicking butt in trail with a 3 legged dog!! Good luck with yours but that splint is a pain in the neck. Hope it all works out for you.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Sorry to hear this Lee, hope she does okay for you!! Take care.

rabitruner

Post by rabitruner »

I had one hit by a car and broke his back leg above the knee ut it also messed up that joint. My vet told me that just a splint would not let the leg heal so i had to chose between chopin the leg off or a surgery to install a coupke metal rods and wire mesh around the join cost me some money but he still runs alil slower than before but he dont limb and still competes in arha little pack grands class im very happy i chose the path i did.

lebro

Post by lebro »

Thanks for the replys. I am just feeling a little down about the whole deal.

Murphy's Kennel

Post by Murphy's Kennel »

Hate to hear about Blaze! That really sucks! Hope it all works out for ya
HOF Murphy`s Dreaming Demon Gr.R.Ch Gr.B.Ch Triple X's Tango

Maxo1025

Post by Maxo1025 »

Sorry to hear about that Lee, I hope everything turns out well for you.

TC

Post by TC »

Dang Dude just talked to ya the other day Sure hate it for ya!! The few that i have seen with that type of break Both did well BUT they were on Complete crate rest for a couple weeks before they were allowed out and about with their splints. keep her as still and calm as possible and hopfully things work out for her. your Vet should be able to give her something to help keep her calmed down and aid in healing...
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

BB Beagles

Post by BB Beagles »

Really sorry to hear about Blaze Lee. Hopefully she'll make a good recovery. Keep us posted.
BONE BOX BEAGLES

lebro

Post by lebro »

She is staying in a small bathroom in basement.every now and then she gets out to lay in my lap and get loved on. She gets pain pills everyday. It has to be tough to go from running everyday to being locked up like that. But it is for the best.

carl arn

Post by carl arn »

killed hundreds of rabbits when i was a kid over a three legged dog he had a front leg missing. got my butt kicked at a trial by one with a hind leg missing

Big Mike

Post by Big Mike »

I had a field trial Greyhound do exactly that. Had to lay him up for 10 weeks, then work him back into shape slowly. he won his heat and semi at Kenton Nationals 5 months later. The key to the dogs recovery , is the dogs temperament, hopefully she is not the hyper type . You have to keep the dog calm, probably have to crate her 24 hours, and only walk her for pee breaks.
Last edited by Big Mike on Thu May 30, 2013 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Mike

C Clark

Post by C Clark »

man I hate that for you Lee i know you are really down that sucks.