Picking out your keepers

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Keith C.

Re: Picking out your keepers

Post by Keith C. »

I raise and train two breeds, beagles and German shorthaired pointers. When I am planning to keep a pup from a litter I have, I generally keep several of the most promising pups, until I at least have them well started, before making a decision. Sometimes the pups I think are best early on, just turn out ok, instead of exceptional.

I like a friendly outgoing pup, that will go off exploring on it's own, but that will quickly come when you call or make noise. The pup should watch your movements and face and not show fear. Pups that watch you, will pick up cues you give during traing, much more quickly.

When placed on the ground, it should follow you if you walk away. Pups are hard wired to follow thing that are bigger than them and to find their place in the pack.

I like pups that are dominant over the other pups, but not dog agressive. They seem to have more hunt.

Don't forget to check the pup for proper bite and for any flaws in confirmation

Keith

mooredog

Post by mooredog »

Thanks Mightymite45 She is Cadalack Jack , IFC Green Bay Butkus and Gridiron All Out Blitz bred. And as Keith C. said she followed me everywhere and was the dominant pup with good bite and conformation. Time will tell since she is only 8 weeks old but she is bred to run !
Paul Moore
http://www.moorebeagles.com
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

cris axtell/coal hill ken

Post by cris axtell/coal hill ken »

I look for the one that does every thing first.
COAL HILL KENNELS. LP GR CH Coal Hill's Brush Buster. 2014 PA state champion LP GR CH Coal Hill's Mama Cass. 2010 PA state champion LP R CH GR BCH Coal Hill's Princess Willow HOG DOG POWER!!!!