Picking out your keepers

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

upstatenybeagler

Picking out your keepers

Post by upstatenybeagler »

Whats all of your method to picking out which pup to keep and which ones to sell? My new plan is to let my 2 year old pick but curious how you all do it. Also, how do you figure which ones to keep based on size? I picked the biggest male out of the last litter of all males and the other 2 are now bigger than him
*IFC Beavercreek's Kickaz*
Drum Runner's PB Blaster
Drum Runner's Twisted Tank
Drum Runner's Sniper
Drum Runner's Savage
Drum Runner's Little Kickaz
Drum Runner's NEK Digger
Drum Runner's NEK Jack-Off

BCBeagles

Re: Picking out your keepers

Post by BCBeagles »

My kids pick mine. I personally like to give the best looking ones to the folks buying them.

Looks(markings) aren't all that important if they are structurally sound to me. I look at bone size as a decent judge to overall full grown size, but a tall rangy pup may still be bigger than a heavy built pup. I have seen that several times.

Mightymite45

Post by Mightymite45 »

Good luck getting that answer from the top producers of rabbit dogs and trialers,seems to be a closely guarded secret among most of them!!!!! LOL

mn_beagleboy

Post by mn_beagleboy »

I breed for my personal preference and wanted the best from the litter. This is my first year experiment n so far so good. I have a two acre breeding/starting pen where i raised pups in there also. by 3 month old, i could tell which one im keeping. I have seen pups solo at 4 month old. it will be hard to pick a pup at 6 wks old.

Sao
Minnesota Beagler

steveh

Post by steveh »

My last litter I had 1 female and 9 males. I knew from the start I was keeping the female as she is our furture line. As long as she turned out, which I might say I am more than pleased with. My buddy was keeping a male and when they were 3 days old I knew 1 male that he was going to take or I was. Big and open marked. He did take that one and I ended up with 1 male that I didnt sell so I kept him, his name is bargin puppy bobo.

It is kind of a crap shoot picking out a puppy at 6 weeks old but I like to go for the ones with confidence more than markings. In past litters I have held off showing them till they were 7 or 8 weeks old just so we could pull the best puppy for ourselves. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt. Alot of it has to do with the time you spend getting that pup in the brush. Good luck

porkchop65

Post by porkchop65 »

Most of the time I keep them all but if I am going to keep just one and sell the rest I will pull them away from the mom while they are nursing keep in mind they still have their eyes closed pull them away see who makes it back first I do this every day for a 7 or 8 days I keep the one that gets back to mom first on a consistent basis.

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

Most aggressive ones is what I want. Ones who get to the feed bowl the quickest. Ones who don't take no crap. Would rather bite your head off rather than look at you!!!
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

hskennels69

Post by hskennels69 »

I look for the ones who go off by themselves and are the most curious....It has always worked for me, don't know if it's been luck or not but if a dog isn't willing to go off by themselves and find a rabbit they will never be anything more than average...
Home of:
LP R. CH. UKC DUAL CH. PKC SILVER CHAMPION OLD DIRTY SOUTH PLAYBOY
H&S MUSTANG SALLY

PREACHERS KENNEL

Post by PREACHERS KENNEL »

i look for the ones that do things first,,and they have alot of energy.. hyper pup usually make good hunters. but the main thing is to make a good cross to begin with and it really doesnt matter a whole lot who you keep.
ACTS 2:38=repent,baptised in the name of jesus christ,receive the holy ghost!

TerryLee

Post by TerryLee »

I look for a friendly pup not shy in anyway that is bold acting with a lot of energy. I would not pick shy ones. I have seen to many with behavior problems.

steveh

Post by steveh »

Casey, its funny you said that about pups being aggressive going to eat. My little female was the one of the smallest pups in the litter and the only female. but when it came time to eat or play, she was going to be on top no matter what. Today, she is a house dog, will burn a rabbit and puts my lab thru hell playing with her.

rabbit chaser

Post by rabbit chaser »

I bought the last and "ugliest" pup of the the litter (although my wife thinks he's cute). He's doing an excellent job so I guess I found my new way of picking :D :lol:
Thumper Jumpin Kennels-home of:
Thumper Jumpin Luck-E-Colt
Thumper Jumpin Lil Terror on Paws
Behne's oopsie daisy
Behne's lady

mooredog

Post by mooredog »

She Picked Me ! And I Said "YEA BABY "

Paul Moore
http://www.moorebeagles.com
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

Mooredog, that is a really good looking female there!!
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

LET THE DOGS DO THE TALKING
www.bornagainkennels.weebly.com

Mightymite45

Post by Mightymite45 »

Mooredog,that's the kind of dog I'm talking about!She is beautiful !!!!