How to test a shock collar ???

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Owl Creek

How to test a shock collar ???

Post by Owl Creek »

first off , I did test it on my self. I think one is weaker than the other.
but I would like some concert evidence other than shocking myself.
after 50 times or so ya get jumpy...LOL
can you put a meter on it?
I just had one go bad .
my dog has been acting like it don't get him as good I had to turn it up to 3 to get his attention tonight.
that last couple times out I have had issues I thought maybe they was just not on good . but maybe they are getting weak.
thanks in advance.
STEVE SERINI
owlcreek@ymail.com
573-701-4646

1 Corinthians 13:4-8

AMANDA & RUSTY LYONS

Re: How to test a shock collar ???

Post by AMANDA & RUSTY LYONS »

I know how you can test them and make sure they are working properly u can put one around ur wife's neck and have her walk about 50 feet at a time and shock her and see if it works LOL

Leaddog

Post by Leaddog »

What system do you have?

Owl Creek

Post by Owl Creek »

TT trash braker .
it works, I just don't think it is as strong as the others.
all had a complete charge on them.
STEVE SERINI
owlcreek@ymail.com
573-701-4646

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

Owlcreek, I always use tri-tronics, but I wouldn't know if stimulation levels 1 thru 5 work or not. I only use the highest. if an adult hound knows what I want and he is refusing to respond immediately why compromise with him and shock him on a low level. Start correcting him on the highest level and his response time will be much quicker and the NEED for the collar will be less and this is what we are looking for!

hookset

Post by hookset »

Steve,

You test it like you would a little 9 volt battery. Let Vicky hold the transmitter so you don't lose it, then stick your tongue to the prongs.

sbeagler

Post by sbeagler »

get someone with a cell phone to stay with the collars you can set your trip odometer dive away on a straight road at .5 mile intervals stop check call you can do this at .25 miles intervals all the way to 2 miles if a TBer if one collar fails the light test or more service them they do make a testing device you slide over the prongs

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

gwyoung wrote:Owlcreek, I always use tri-tronics, but I wouldn't know if stimulation levels 1 thru 5 work or not. I only use the highest. if an adult hound knows what I want and he is refusing to respond immediately why compromise with him and shock him on a low level. Start correcting him on the highest level and his response time will be much quicker and the NEED for the collar will be less and this is what we are looking for!
I completely agree there!! We all bought shock collars for a reason, I also don't believe in the tone feature cause I have seen guys screaming after a dog at a trial and when they finally catch the dog they are saying I don't know why he ain't listening he is completely TONE broke!! Hmmmmmm no collar and no tone I wonder how in the world he would not handle!! Shock them good and they will know when say something they better do it!!
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

LET THE DOGS DO THE TALKING
www.bornagainkennels.weebly.com

PREACHERS KENNEL

Post by PREACHERS KENNEL »

there has a to be a meter test somehow ..

shock someone or self woks .

nothing wrong with toning thats all i have to do most the time ,mine know whats next ..i never ever hit a dog on 6 unlesss its a trash run..never seen it neccesary..have had young dogs not want to be caught 4 held till it quits works just fine lol. as long as collar is tight .. i guess its been over a year since i shocked a dog over level 3 ..if wecall our dogs in mine will proabbly be there first or rightthere at same time..

i am sure there is some kind of meter you can use call an electrition ..or go by an electronics store that has a service center in it .i am sure they can help you .
ACTS 2:38=repent,baptised in the name of jesus christ,receive the holy ghost!

Owl Creek

Post by Owl Creek »

Haha mark I will get right on that.

I have already stated that it works . and that is not my question.
and the hound just turn one .he don't even really know what the colar is yet. so I am NOT going to turn it to six and blow his balls off. I will save that for a deer chase.

what I want to know, is the one weaker than the other and by how much.
I am going to put a meter on it ,soon as I go out side to the shop.
STEVE SERINI
owlcreek@ymail.com
573-701-4646

hookset

Post by hookset »

Steve, I've got an electric fence tester that will tell you how hard it's hitting. May not be quite as accurate as sticking it to your tongue, but you can use it.

JD Baisden

Post by JD Baisden »

I have a test light that came with the old metal box collars that tri-tronic made back in the 80's. On the lowest level, the light is dim and gets brighter each level of stimulation that you go up. I don't know if anyone still sells these or even makes them any more.
Home of:
Rase's Mtn. Kennels

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

I say find your most trusted friend and light him up with it on six, be ready to pay them some money after its over
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

Owl Creek

Post by Owl Creek »

thanks everyone for your reply's.
and Mark thanks for your offer.
I did put a digital meter to it and the 3 of them tested about the same.
then I strap them to my arm. hit on one, two and three the all seem the same.
I would not want any more than 3. I have tried 4 once. and didn't care for it.
I will do a distance test next but don't trust my wife with the transmitter end...LOL.
STEVE SERINI
owlcreek@ymail.com
573-701-4646

Owl Creek

Post by Owl Creek »

Casey for ten bucks you can play my friend and we can strap it to ya. hows that sound ?
STEVE SERINI
owlcreek@ymail.com
573-701-4646