Mr. Bill and John's Buck V11

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Newt

Re: Mr. Bill and John's Buck V11

Post by Newt »

Since you mentioned "Gay Dash" I'll tell you what Frank Reese told me about the hound. Reese would take his pack of hounds, late in the evening, to his running area and turn them loose. After running several hours, if he got sleepy, he would take a nap. Reese said, "when I awoke, I could always locate my hounds because 'Dash' would be dog tracking. He seemed to have a very low opinion of the hound. He turned down $4,000. for Baker and sold Dash at a give away price. As was mentioned, Mr. Bill probably got his hunt from his bitch line.

Joe Parrino

Post by Joe Parrino »

Randy asked about Bill & Buck, others gave ref to flat Creek and others. I gave him what I had remebered of the Hounds. Yes I've seen others better but Iam not here to High Jack Randys Thread, just wanted to inject 1st hand what I seen & knew about the Hounds.Dash was not a good hound, Bucks sire as the fellow answered frank knew it.
Hunts Creek Beagles
Where Hunt Comes 1st
http://www.ushistory.org/documents/amen ... tm#amend02

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

Joe, Knowing what kind of dogs randy favors and the fact that he lives in florida and is not running on snow I made those suggestions based on the fact that those lines are around today and producing nice hunting dogs. Yes Flat Creek Josh might have been slow but some that Flat creek stuff running today is a good step quicker. If we were talking about bred for hare and LPH style dogs then I might have said, IFC Dirty Pond Blacky was one of the nicest I've seen along with IFC Dirty Pond Liacka and some of the stuff produced by speedy sport like IFC Hunt-em up Spots Anna, the sport stuff although a little oevr competitive had lots of hunt and good nose. I just mentioned the more conservative stuff because Randy has mentioned before on here that he likes a more conservative cottontail type hound........Andre

gfedor

Post by gfedor »

Randy, there is also nic marino from south jersey, his line is heavy in bill,john buck etc. I think he has frozen semen from john buck II, I dont know his number,

Joe Parrino

Post by Joe Parrino »

Deerhost No problem Just want to give as Honest of an answer to Randy as I could from what I've seen, He asked I thought I'd answer. I did'nt mean to single you out was talking in General as to what the hounds I seen ran like.
The one thing Today is the Formatting Hounds to trials LPH, SPO, I know this formats exsist but to base a breeding on Formats wrong. I feel if more guys forgot if they were running hare or Cottontail but demanded the best out of the Hound, there would be better hounds around today, breeding to the fad or formats is where breeders get into trouble.Every hound I own or owned must Run both Cottontail or Hare, thats a Rabbithound/ Gundog.
When Bill was being bred to the IBGA was made up of both LPH & SPO Sandy Creek & Cayuga ran the same weekend and the same hound could place at either, people stuck there nose into what A hound should be and Bingo you now have LPH & SPO. They should of stuck with running with both formats and we would have alot better dogs coming out of them Today, plus more happy owners. Its hard for a new beagler to get stated today than ever before. So its very hard for me to use the terms HareHound Cottontailhound to me it should be one and the same, and you know what it would be a hunting hound too. Bill was a nice hound, was he the best Gun dog to ever live NO. I respected Butch RIP, I think he knew that a good hound was a good hound. The trials have just made guys jobs harder to find them.
I live by something My Grandfather & Dad told Me Run a hound or hounds that you could feed your family over but hope you never have to.
I my Grand father would have paper shells back in the 20's-30's and not many so if a dog was to stay around he had a job to do.
Hunts Creek Beagles
Where Hunt Comes 1st
http://www.ushistory.org/documents/amen ... tm#amend02

MaineDogs

Post by MaineDogs »

A good friend of butch Keene is Kenny McGillivary In Maine him and a partner have the remainder of Mr bills frozen semen. They got a litter of pups off it about a year ago. Ken has a PILE of solid rabbit hounds directly out of MR bill.
Kens web site, http://birchhillkennel.tripod.com/index.html

heres the peds of a couple, one is my female and a friends male.

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

Well said joe, no offense taken.......andre

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

Mainedogs, I have known about Kenny for some time but never met him or Knew he had a website, Thanks, for the information. How does Dancing Queen and Rab a tack run?

MaineDogs

Post by MaineDogs »

Both are average dogs for the time put in them when getting run up I would consider them both above average. The owner of Rab and i don’t run our dogs like we use to or want to, wrapped up in family and work. All we do is gun so I may be less picky then some but i still hold expectations to mine and his dogs.
When i picked queenie up from ken, he had her run up pretty well and she put on a nice show, ken treated me real well and has always on every encounter. I haven’t run her like he did and it shows but i can still go shoot hare over her any day i want here in Maine. He said she has a lil extra mouth when i picked her up, when we ran her I couldn’t see any lol, as she got run less I could see it but only when not getting adequate ground time. She is quick to getting the rabbit going and one of the top two who work the checks out best on the hard scenting days. All my dogs have bill mixed up in them so the running is all close to the same. She is close to the line at all times but has just the right amount of foot for my liking. From everything i have seen out of ken and my stuff the bill line does not through foot. The bill line is a big nose, line control kind of breed.

Rab is steady on line and about as slow as i would keep but has the rest of the traits for me to consider him above average. About 80% of my running/hunting is done on snow so nose power is important to me I can deal with extra mouth if it can produce but i won’t stand for babbling.