AKC Member or not.Why should I be A member?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

rabbitearl

AKC Member or not.Why should I be A member?

Post by rabbitearl »

When a AKC trial comes up.Should you be a member of a AKC club somewere.Or just be out of the club and let somebody eles do all the work and you just have to be there that mor to enter your dog and enjoy the fellowship cause you have nothing to do with an club.

I am trying to get an AKC club starter.I have enuff member but some of the ones that know they don t have to be a member to run there dogs in the trials will not.I don t think its fair to the ones that pays there membership and go to the meeting and help get this club starter and then when trial comes up here comes the ones that had no respect for the club but has as much rights as anybody cause they have and AKC Dog.Now to me.Something is wrong here.No wonder there are clubs going under.Now I am talking about trials.No running grounds.How do yall feel about this?

To me.I think they need to show an membership card to run in an trial.That card tell me they are a good member at there club and I would be very happy to have them at my trial.Thanks.

Bad Luck Kennels

Re: AKC Member or not.Why should I be A member?

Post by Bad Luck Kennels »

Just because you are a good member at your own club doesn`t mean you are going to be good at another club. Like leaveing trash or going back to run their grounds. I have seen many do these 2 things that i just listed.
Check out my site http://www.badluckkennels.weebly.com

LPGRRCH LPBCH CH HBCH Hunter`s Go Get Em Jake
LPRCH Bad Luck Kennels Little Girl

Little Indian Creek

Post by Little Indian Creek »

A membership is only worth a yearly fee. It does not mean they are going to do anything for your club. It is my experience that people willing to help are going to help, and the ones that are not will not, member or not.
Kenny Lain
Little Indian Creek Kennels
AKC & NKC Beagles

begles

Post by begles »

Good point little indian, N K C is the same way. D H / begles

Aaron Bartlett
Site Admin

Post by Aaron Bartlett »

The only thing belonging to a club gets you is if your running in a specific federation you get points for hound of the year. For example in the MidWest Federation you can only get points for MidWest Hound of the year if you are a member of a club that is a member of the MidWest.
Like was said above... Being a member of a club doesn't mean that person does anything at that club or anything else. There are some clubs that have their own grounds and members are required to work so many work days or whatever but those are getting to be few and far between today.
Crane Creek Kennels

rabbit chaser

Post by rabbit chaser »

Little Indian Creek wrote:A membership is only worth a yearly fee. It does not mean they are going to do anything for your club. It is my experience that people willing to help are going to help, and the ones that are not will not, member or not.
You hit the nail on the head. a friend of mine said it best a while back when he said "we dont just need members, we need members that are willing to work at the club and help at the trials!!"
Thumper Jumpin Kennels-home of:
Thumper Jumpin Luck-E-Colt
Thumper Jumpin Lil Terror on Paws
Behne's oopsie daisy
Behne's lady

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

I understand what yall are saying but in my way.Our member ship is only 10 dollors a year and you donot have to do nothing.just pay the 10 dollors and get in.You have to have so many members to start an akc club.i will do all the work (Cause I been through this beforeI will do all the work just pay the 10 dollors). on the running ground and catch the rabbits.What I am saying.Some of the guys did not want to pay the 10 dollors to get in so we can have enuff to start a club.Now do you think its fair to let them run in the trial.I mean.Whats 10 dollors a year.Best That I can understand after the club is started you still have to have so many members a year to have a club. So paying your membership is imported.

Lets say you are started an club and the member ship is 10 dollors a year.You need 20 members to start this club.You have 16 that come in and pay there 10 dollors.You have 15 more that you know that will come to the trial but willnot pay the 10 dollors to help the club.Now are you going to pick 4 more to get in and pay there way or beg 4 more to get in.Then when the trial come up here comes the ones that would not pay the 10 dollors.But have as much rights as anybody cause theY have an akc DOG.Now is this fair to the ones the pay there membership.Remember you have to have so many member to have an club.

Little Indian Creek

Post by Little Indian Creek »

Rabbitearl. I know what you are saying as well. I think about every club has been through it at one point in time. I agree with you I think if the organization is going to mandate a club have a certain amount of members they should make every participant be a member of a club. I don’t think it makes much since to have a minimal membership per club because it means nothing, it is just a number.
Kenny Lain
Little Indian Creek Kennels
AKC & NKC Beagles

Lee Cockman

Post by Lee Cockman »

That is the way it is and always will be. Nothing to do with AKC or any other club. One or two guys do all the work. Go to any church you want there is a group there that does everything and foots 90% of all the bills. You either got to love to host a event or be a idiot. Sometimes I feel like a little of both.

But what is $10 a year????? I agree with one thing if a guy want give ten dollars to run at any club. Well he needs to stay at home. If ten dollars is going to break a guy well he sure does not need to pay $20 to enter a dog. JMHO

I would give an AKC club a $100 a year to run rabbit dogs not walkie talkies. At least you guys can run your dogs. I can not with out riding 6 plus hours.

Good Luck to you guys!
C&F Cottontail Kennels

C&F's Cinnamon Run RedBug
C&F's Talkabout TBO

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

Aaron Bartlett wrote:The only thing belonging to a club gets you is if your running in a specific federation you get points for hound of the year. For example in the MidWest Federation you can only get points for MidWest Hound of the year if you are a member of a club that is a member of the MidWest.
Like was said above... Being a member of a club doesn't mean that person does anything at that club or anything else. There are some clubs that have their own grounds and members are required to work so many work days or whatever but those are getting to be few and far between today.

I'm glad all the members of our club don't feel that way. We are members who love beagling and we are all friends.....for the most part everybody chips in and gets stuff done and when somebody can't help on a given day somebody else steps up and helps fill the spot. There are always good members and bad members but if a club has bylaws set up correctly it allows you to weed the bad members.

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

What I think rabbit Earl is asking is, If you are not a member of an AKC club then why should you be able to run a hound at any AKC field trail? The announcement I guess would read something similar to this, AKC licensed trial July 7th and 8th. Breakfast and Lunch served, qualified judges, If you are not a member of a AKC beagle club don't bother showing up! I wonder what that would do to the already low amount of entries? Am I misunderstanding?

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

Just talk to a guy on the phone tonight he said no name.He said.Earl I used to be in a club and the dues were 150 dollors a year.It started out big and I did like it the fellowship and all.But over the years I notice some dropping out but still come to the trials then I notice just a few left that were putting on the hunts and the ones that had dropped out were just there for the trials.I dropped out last year and really don t know if the club will hold on.It just got to the point that I was tired of seeing these guys still running in the trials but not a member anymore.So I done what they done.Let somebody eles do the work.It just seem like if your a member you have to do work at the club.I did not mind it but got tired of seeing a lot that will not.I do agree with you Earl.I think a club will be stonger if you have to be a member to run in trials.Thats the reason I got out and its the reason I did not sign in at your club.I can still run in your trial and not worrie about doing anything.Not That I don t mind it but.I just got tire of being run over.

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

I misunderstood....if you're asking should a person be a member to go to a trial I would say a big no on that.....everybody pays to run a dog so they are kicking into the club too....typical entry fees are $20 a dog around here....a lot of guys enter 4+ dogs...why would a club want to turn them away?

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

I would in a heart beat.my club is not in it for the money.I am looking for fairness.A guy that want pay 10 dollors enter fee to join the club should not run in the trial.Its just the way I look at it.Remember a club has to have so many members each year to be a club if you work or not.I believe you have to have 25 members to start an akc club.So in others words you are saying if you start a club you will start out at the meeting by saying. .Look yall we need 10 dollors a person.We need 25 members to start this club.BUT if you donot want to pay the 10 dollors I will pay it for you.You just come to the trials an don t worrie about anything.I will do it all.I look at it this way.A person that want pay 10 dollors to be a member to join the club.I don t want his 25 enter fee to run his 4 dogs.You know, why should one guy pay up and another one don t have too.You know that might be were I have a strong bunch of guy at our club for the last 26 years.I am looking for fairness.But our club is alreay in it but If I see it upsets any of the paying members.I can close this club just as fast as I started.As yall can already tell.I am already upset and we have not have a trial yet.I just hate free loarder.they can pay 7 or 8 hunder dollors for a dog but cannot be a member at a club.

Bad Luck Kennels

Post by Bad Luck Kennels »

What club do you have and run ?

Thanks
Check out my site http://www.badluckkennels.weebly.com

LPGRRCH LPBCH CH HBCH Hunter`s Go Get Em Jake
LPRCH Bad Luck Kennels Little Girl