Pennsylvania handgun while dog training?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

northernhare

Pennsylvania handgun while dog training?

Post by northernhare »

Is it legal to carry a revolver/handgun open while dog training in Pennsylvania?
Run to catch!!!

Panther Creek

Re: Pennsylvania handgun while dog training?

Post by Panther Creek »

That's a good question that I was wondering about in MO also. I decided to get my conceal & carry licence, for one reason so that if I WAS carrying a handgun while running dogs in the off season, (coyotes) , It might help my reasoning with a Cons. officer. -(to show that I wasn't just out hunting out of season but protection for my dogs).
Panther Creek Beagles
Be faithful unto death, and I will give you a crown of life. Rev. 2:10

northernhare

Post by northernhare »

The Pennsylvania rule book does not make it entirely clear. It reads no shotgun rifle or bow and arrows. Does not really say a handgun is legal!
Run to catch!!!

Mo. Beagler 5000

Post by Mo. Beagler 5000 »

Panther Creek wrote:That's a good question that I was wondering about in MO also. I decided to get my conceal & carry licence, for one reason so that if I WAS carrying a handgun while running dogs in the off season, (coyotes) , It might help my reasoning with a Cons. officer. -(to show that I wasn't just out hunting out of season but protection for my dogs).

With your CCW it is legal to have it on your person concealed when running dogs legally. You cannot use it to do anything but to protect yourself though. Can't even unconceal it unless you plan on using it. I had my 357 a couple times while we have been hunting.. I just never told you lol..
God isn't real, Beer is good and people are crazy, there I fixed it.

bigjohn

Post by bigjohn »

Mo. Beagler 5000 wrote:
Panther Creek wrote:That's a good question that I was wondering about in MO also. I decided to get my conceal & carry licence, for one reason so that if I WAS carrying a handgun while running dogs in the off season, (coyotes) , It might help my reasoning with a Cons. officer. -(to show that I wasn't just out hunting out of season but protection for my dogs).

With your CCW it is legal to have it on your person concealed when running dogs legally. You cannot use it to do anything but to protect yourself though. Can't even unconceal it unless you plan on using it. I had my 357 a couple times while we have been hunting.. I just never told you lol..

Better to check with your CA,Tim. As the law reads,you aren't allowed to have anything in your possession that could be used to kill a rabbit. I would think this would include a weapon for CCW. Usually boils down to the CA's opinion though.

northernhare

Post by northernhare »

I typed this same question to a game warden friend on facebook and he replied. "Not technically. It's now lawful to carry concealed with a CCP when training, hunting, driving around spotlighting, etc. but that's not a .22 revolver in a holster. It's lawful to carry a .22 open when you're just walking around but not when training."
It seems strange with the coyote problems etc. that they would leave dog guys vulnerable!
Run to catch!!!

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

I spoke with two game wardens asking this question for WV. We have coyote issues here, yotes will do some brave stuff. Have had many encounters.

They both said you are carrying it for protection, right? In question form, I said sure, for me and my dogs. I open carry in a soft case on my strap with my Shock transmitter. Both said that it was "acceptable" due to my answer of "protection". They both stressed answer in that way, it is legitimate in our case.

Honestly, they can fine me or whatever. After running in on a pair of coyotes trying to tear my buddies female in half I will pay the fine over vet bills. I have invested way to much time and money for a lousy yote to ruin my trip and ruin a young hound or worse, kill one.

Good excuse to shoot around my young hounds as well. Just to let the killers know we arent just there for fun... LOL.

fasttrackpa

Post by fasttrackpa »

If you have a license to carry, you can carry ANYTIME open or concealed. If you do not have a license to carry firearms(LTCF) you can open carry, but cannot transport in a vehicle except when going to the range or hunting. Not loaded, separate, from ammo. If you walk from home to run, you can open carry without ANY kind of license or permit. The guy you asked is wrong, In our hunting digest it says specifically "A person cannot carry a Rifle, a Shotgun or Bow and arrows" no mention of handgun there....
Last edited by fasttrackpa on Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Purnell-Dead River Beagles
FC Purnell's Greens Valley Dixie
FC Purnell's Dead River Rebel RIP
FCGD Dead River Hare Razin Ruby
FCGD Purnell's Dead River Ranger
FCGD Purnell's Dead River Bloo Bell

Bull_357

Post by Bull_357 »

Contenderized

pztrailman

Post by pztrailman »

In Ohio I called the District 3 office and talked to 2 different game warden in the counties I run about carrying a pistol. I was told that by all three that as long as I tell who ever asks that I am coyote hunting I was legal. In Ohio you can hunt coyote 24/7. I would think that would work in other states.

northernhare

Post by northernhare »

Andy, the warden I ask was our friend

on Facebook!
Run to catch!!!

Incahoots

Post by Incahoots »

PA is an open carry state. The LEO's job is to enforce laws not to interpret them. The warden in this case is wrong, according to the laws. You can open carry any hand gun while training.
Our Dirty Pond Beagles "Heaven goes by favour. If it went by merit,
you would stay out and your dog would go in."
-M. Twain

northernhare

Post by northernhare »

I'm going to lean toward the game warden until I dig deeper into it. For now I'll carry a Gock 26 concealed!
Run to catch!!!

fasttrackpa

Post by fasttrackpa »

Steve, if you have a license to carry, you have no problem in any case. I have seen a lot of WCO's when running beagles and my coonhounds and they never even ask, and I am always carrying either a 6" 357 or 6" 22 mag open. When we run at the Scotia Game Lands there are tons of officers(police and wildlife) traveling back forth from the shooting range and they never bat an eye as we stand on the road.
Andy Purnell-Dead River Beagles
FC Purnell's Greens Valley Dixie
FC Purnell's Dead River Rebel RIP
FCGD Dead River Hare Razin Ruby
FCGD Purnell's Dead River Ranger
FCGD Purnell's Dead River Bloo Bell

northernhare

Post by northernhare »

I called the Franklin regional office today for another interpretation. I was told that if you are training your dog and use your side arm for the possible protection of you or your dogs you can carry open with or without a permit. They do not allow you to open carry for dog training and hunting for say (groundhog or coyotes) at the same time. If you want to hunt legal in-season game then you shouldn't have your dogs with you. Conceal permit only pertains to concealing the gun in which laws have greatly swung in favor of concealed carry in the eyes of game officials, parks, government property, etc. Summary: yes you can open carry when training dogs. They also make it very fuzzy in their rule book!
Run to catch!!!