line control

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Casey Harner

Re: line control

Post by Casey Harner »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4eD528S4YM

This is my female Blaze. She is a granddaughter of Durbin Valley Hitman Hart. She was 5 days shy of 1 year old. It was a light rain and it was a very dry last year as we all know. I feel she is as gritty as they come. Showed brains and patience. I think this is what Hounddog and Lee Cockman is referring too....

Here is her driving a rabbit at Patoka Lake, running with a friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1RIyxek ... =endscreen
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

PREACHERS KENNEL

Post by PREACHERS KENNEL »

fast i must complain about that video it wass to short lol
ACTS 2:38=repent,baptised in the name of jesus christ,receive the holy ghost!

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

This is an old video. She was a ten month old pup and she is running on dry leaves she is not fast in these conditions but was usually a bit faster with good scenting. In this video I would call her a medium to upper medium speed dog (5-6on speed). MarKs dogs are what I would call 3 to 4 on speed. The pup jumped the rabbit out of the log pile in front of the camera Moments before I put the camera on. she circled the rabbit with out loosing the line for more then 5-10 seconds and ran it right back to were she jumped it. Is she fast in this video? No but I'm just trying to show that a dog can circle a rabbit at a pretty good clip with out a long check and not have to be walking to do it like Marks dogs. Not nocking his dogs. Of course some of the guys on here will probably say she is a 4 on speed but then those are the guys running bottle rockets and saying line control is not important......The video is just for discussion....DH

Timmy J

Post by Timmy J »

Apparently y'all boys and girls need to get some better dogs. My dogs run with their heads in the air and rarely ever breakdown for more than a few seconds. Oh wait a minute were talking out rabbit dogs not deer hounds. Haha. I got the inbetween junk I guess. As long as they suit the owners that's the important part why feed something you don't like. We own one that can run for hours with nearly no breakdowns she has a hard time of keeping up with the others but she is an important part of our pack.

ray s

Post by ray s »

Ron Conroe wrote:if a dog is not rrunning the track he is not running the rabbit, it's that simple.... if he is not on the track he is not running it, he is hunting for it. big difference.
That pretty much sums it up.

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

Ron Conroe wrote:
if a dog is not rrunning the track he is not running the rabbit, it's that simple.... if he is not on the track he is not running it, he is hunting for it. big difference.

That pretty much sums it up.
+1
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

mn_beagleboy

Post by mn_beagleboy »

Without line control, u could shoot rabbits over. U just dont do well in akc field trial. With only line control as your strength, what about nose, speed, brain, and hunt. If ur dog is not balanced, they will have a hard time running year round. It takes more than line control to run a rabbit correctly. Marks dogs are very balanced. They are slow, but very strong nose to smell from way behind. Watch mark carder dog run the line and check work, that is exactly how i expect my dogs to pound the line n check for a loss. Very few med fast dogs could run similar to marks dog. If your dog is med fast n runs similar to marks dog, u have a rabbit dog in my definition. most important, feed what u like, n like what u feed. Every body have their own idea of line control and speed.

Sao
Minnesota Beagler

chapkosbeagles

Post by chapkosbeagles »

if you guys want to see a FAST beagle WITH LINE CONTROL i no where there is a couple. they MAKE the turns,and ACCOUNT for the line. the way i judge a good dog is buy how many rabbits they CATCH. you no there good if they run them stiff or just flat run them down CONSISTANTLY.

IF THEY DONT CATCH GAME THEY DONT MAKE IT LONG AROUND HERE. YOU GUYS THAT LOVE THESE CHECKING TRACKING MED SPEED DOGS THAT RUN EVERY INCH OF THE LINE. LOOK TO ADULT TRADING POST 300 DOLLOR SPECIAL BUT NOW I MIGHT HAVE TO PRICE HIM LIKE HE IS GOLD AFTER READING ALL THESE POST.I AM SELLING THEM TOO CHEAP :lol: :nod: :nod:

sparky

Post by sparky »

Ron Conroe wrote:if a dog is not rrunning the track he is not running the rabbit, it's that simple.... if he is not on the track he is not running it, he is hunting for it. big difference.
:check:
SHAKE DOWN BEAGLES

JCM

Post by JCM »

Seriously???

You must run in an area with no wind. If you had, you would have seen dogs on a windy day smell scent several feet from where the rabbit actually ran. Dogs do not run tracks, they run scent. If they chased trains, running a track would be highly efficient though. :lol:

Newt

Post by Newt »

JCM wrote:
Seriously???

You must run in an area with no wind. If you had, you would have seen dogs on a windy day smell scent several feet from where the rabbit actually ran. Dogs do not run tracks, they run scent. If they chased trains, running a track would be highly efficient though. :lol:

What happens on a windy low scent day when the wind blows the scent twenty two thirty feet off the track. Does the rabbit go "straight to a hole". In my experience, if you are going to have a continuous race on a windy day you need a few dogs that stay in contact with the line or know where they last smelled the line. Otherwise there will be a lot that go "straight to a hole". ;)

Ron Conroe

Post by Ron Conroe »

jcm, all I can say is, you are a man with much knowledge............. :shock: wow

Kansas Mike

Post by Kansas Mike »

This video is of a couple of my dogs running on a dry and windy day.

http://youtu.be/7GX7zYrWJQ8

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

JCM wrote:
Seriously???

+1 :dance:
TheJohnBirchSociety

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

Nice video Mike! A good bit faster then Marks but still holding the line pretty well....DH