Can all dogs smell the same?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

TomMN

Can all dogs smell the same?

Post by TomMN »

Saw this post on one of the coonhound boards, thought some of you might be interested. http://www.prohound.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10578
I don't know what the answer is myself, I only know there is a lot of difference in the ability to trail between dogs.

snowshoehareguide

can all dogs smell the same?

Post by snowshoehareguide »

tom this is my favorite subject. ive seen a hundred times where id jump a hare in front of dogs and they couldnt smell it at all. i ve seen a few dogs where this has never happened. . now these dogs that couldnt smell it were super in the right conitions. some of them i know would run their guts out. seen the same thing with all kinds of hounds not just beagles. bev will come on here and tell me im wrong well if im wrong about this ive never been right about anything in my life. there is as much difference in ability to smell in dogs as their is difference in color. or size or anything else. i could use some of these dogs that can smell it when the others cant. i am not talking about boo hooing idiots but dogs with a better nose. if anybody knows where there is some contact me. im going to check out one of these dogs right now or id write you about three pages on it . and no i dont expect he will run but if the guy thinks theres a chance he will i want to see it , its below zero and crust .whos got some dogs that will run today. ? pete

kjohns

Post by kjohns »

I agree with snowshoe on this. Think about it. Not all humans can smell the same. Some can smell better than others. Just like some can see better than others. So logic would tell you the same would be true with dogs.

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

It depends on what you bathe them in. LOL

New York Hillbilly

smelly dogs

Post by New York Hillbilly »

Alabama,
You beat me to it!! I saw this post and went out to sniff all 9 of my hounds. Guess what? They all smell the same!! Like straw and cedar chips! :lol: :lol:
On A more serious note I too believe some hounds have sniffers that are more keen than others. I own two such hounds. My one bitch I swear could smell a rabbit if it were enclosed in a zip-lockbag and buried. This might be a stretch but then again it might not be as I have never tried it. All I know for sure is that I have never had her out when she could not run.....and that is the absolute truth! Heat or cold, rain or snow makes no difference to her. And if the snow is powder, granular, wet packing or ice that makes little difference to her. She is only medium speed at top end and slows when conditions warrant. But she NEVER QUITS and refuses to loose a rabbit. Her big draw back is that she is not great at being a mother. She will abandon her pups if she thinks she can escape to join a pack that is running. And when she is kept in the house with a litter she pokes and prods and steps all over them. She just had 3 puppies in what was the second time she had been bred and she managed to kill all three while I was at work. It may be pure inexperience, as she seems like a nevous wreck as soon as they are born. If you put the pups on her to nurse she licks and pushes them till they fall off. I am afraid I may not get many more chances with her because she is getting up there in years. I will try at least one more time because I don't want to have it end with her. She has been one of if not the best I have ever owned and I will be sad when the day comes that she is not there for me to run. Maybe I could sign her up for parenting classes. :???:

Peace
NYH
When my life on earth is ended....this is all I'm gonna say...Lord I've been a hard working pilgrim on the way!

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

NYH, we both have a warped sense of humor!
As a rule, I have found with all breeds of trailing hounds that the shorter the ears in relation to the face, the more hot nosed, faster footed, and less the ability to smell thus they run faster, use their eyes as well as their noses to stay closer to the game in order to have the scent stronger. The longer the ears in relation to the face, the more sensitive the nose, slower and deliberate the speed and the tendency to mop a track and open on a cold trail.
Not always, there is always exceptions, but you can far more times than not, look at a dogs confirmation and several other telling points, two being its ears length and set, high or cast in or out; another the colors inside its mouth, and get its nose ability and trailing tendencys right before you even run it.
Last edited by Alabama John on Tue Dec 17, 2002 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bowhunter59

hey john

Post by bowhunter59 »

hi mr john i got qa male he has long ears fore his size small dog about 12 and a half but rns the hair off the rabbit it better move or he get it lol aw maybe not that fast but a go getter think i might sell him so i can find one a little slower he is akc reg and 15 months old
great blood line
god is so good!

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

The offer to hunt with us still stands Bowhunter59.
I keep some short chains about 7 inches long with a snap at each end in my dog box so I can hook my dogs up to others fast dogs so mine can keep up and be in the race. Honest!!!
We'll use them if necessary.

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

I was going to say, "It depends on what they rolled in" but I didn't think anyone would appreciate the humor, lol!

snowshoehareguide

dogs smell the same.

Post by snowshoehareguide »

bev my wife says all hounds stink . but her house dog can get sprayed by skunk and she cant smell it. ive heard of selective hearing and all men have that . i guess women have selective smelling. .. if you knew what ive been thru trying to find a dog to run on the tough days here you wouldnt make jokes about dogs smelling the same. they dont and you just wont know how many dont have the nose for it till youve seen it over and over . some can run most anytime here. most cant run half the time here and i bet it worse in minnesota or other places. anybody has an extra one of these run everyday rabbit dogs i have an extra dog house. pete

bowhunter59

ok

Post by bowhunter59 »

be glad to come just give me a call u have my phone number let me know when yall r goin if i can i will
god is so good!