FLEAS!!! Help Please!

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Paul Richardson

FLEAS!!! Help Please!

Post by Paul Richardson »

This has been, by far, the worst year for me battleing these little beast!!! I have tryed everything I can come across and still can't completely get rid of them...I am somewhat keeping them under control but just can't get them gone... My dogs all are treated with Pet Armor and wear flea collars, I have used a kennel dip and dipped every dog...I have got rid of all old bedding in kennels and cleaned kennels with several different sprays that are suppose to kill fleas and also tried a bleach and water mixture...Also tried the demaustrious earth spread in the kennels that someone posted on here once before....Just when you think you might start winning the battle, you look out and your dogs are starting to scratch like crazy again.....Any help on how to get rid of these things would be GREATLY appreciated...What has worked for some of you guys and gals in the past...I'm pretty much willing to try anything at this point! Thanks in advance for your help. Paul
Paul
Jady's Kennels
Great State of KY.
http://jadysbeagles.zoomshare.com/

littlewoody

Re: FLEAS!!! Help Please!

Post by littlewoody »

Frontline plus works for my hounds
TheJohnBirchSociety

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

Frontline Plus will eliminate fleas and deters most of the ticks. Also get a spray bottle of the flea/tick spray at TSC. It runs about. $12. Apply before you run them. You may have to clean out all bedding and spray down as well.

Frontline is expensive but prevention will be cheaper than treatment
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

Dave Swiger

Post by Dave Swiger »

seven dust...ol timers have used it for years

bluecollar beagler

Post by bluecollar beagler »

last year was horrid for me as well.. this year im still fighting them but not as bad. i have one dog i cant seem to keep them off of though and ive done just like you've done. i bought a gallon jug of malathon and coat my kennel areas bi-weekly, ive got bayer advance from walmart and i drop some of that on the back of the dogs necks every month and keep an extra sprayer loaded with it too i spray and i switched to advantax instead of frontline bc frontline has been a waste of money for me the past few years.. just got done using happy jack kennel dip on all the dogs last week too... guess what, there still on the one dog... ill be honest the couple dogs i have off the ground have faired much better with fleas then the two dogs i have on the ground i know that.

Will05

Post by Will05 »

Get yourself a huge bag of lime and spread it over your whole yard. It seems to burn the fleas. This is a fairly cheap trick my father taught me. Just dont let the dogs on the ground for a couple days . You may have to do this several times to get rid of them all but should kill them...good luck
Wsullivan777@gmail.com
Home of :
Sullivan's Sadie MaePatch
Sullivan's MollyPatch

sbeagler

Post by sbeagler »

in some areas of the country fleas are now becoming immune to front line active ingredient is filpronil also in Pet Armour few others. Time to try something new. I know guys who use a 55 gallon plastic drum filled 2/3 full of water and happy jack dog dip add about 2 pounds of sulfur. dip evey 2 weeks. spray with tick and flea spray before running them too. Bayer complete insect control or tree and shrub attached to your water hose works really great to works in the soil for 2-3 months remove all water/feed bowls spray everything kennels etc allow to dry before putting dogs back in to kennel.

Crow

Post by Crow »

I just switched from Frontline Plus (used it for nearly a decade) to the Seresto collar and I don't plan on going back to a "top spot" product anytime soon. These little things work great and last 8 months. About the same cost as using FL P for 8 months but right now they got a rebate with them so actually save some money. May not be for everybody but I'm really liking them.

east80kennels

Post by east80kennels »

one word ivomac, then get u some cedar chips, fleas hate cedar

Paul Richardson

Post by Paul Richardson »

Thanks for the help so far folks...some of these I have already tried and the others I will be trying now!!! Any more help...please keep em' coming. Thanks Paul
Paul
Jady's Kennels
Great State of KY.
http://jadysbeagles.zoomshare.com/

Donnie Durbin

Post by Donnie Durbin »

Donnie Durbin

Post by Donnie Durbin »

We actually need to move the kennel. I think the apple tree is a big issue and we need to get them off the dirt also. ;)

Rowco Beagle Kennels

Post by Rowco Beagle Kennels »

We have used red ear tags on the collar with some success against flees but less against ticks. Some guys we know are using the purple tags with great success but I have been told that they are too strong. Doses anyone know if they are safe or not?

Bull_357

Post by Bull_357 »

The purple ones are fine but they won't help you much with fleas just amazing against ticks.
Contenderized

walkerdogman85

Post by walkerdogman85 »

Comfortis pills!! I use a granule from tsc in a green and yellow bag and i just spread it around the kennel and yard and it seems to work! Last year was horrible for me and i used this and it works, a guy I work with said his dog had them bad so he bought the comfortis pill and with in ten minutes the fleas all fell off dead!! I plan on trying it but its kind of expensive
Michael West
1-740-502-8956
http://www.simmonsrunbeagles.com/