sick hound!!!

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

bill (flint river )

sick hound!!!

Post by bill (flint river ) »

all my years I have never seen or heard of this but here it goes. I have a 2 year old female, ran last night around the house with a older female, they get close to the road so I gather them up and put them away. this morning I go load up and she is nursing her foot pretty good so I left her behind, thron stuck in there between the toes and it looked liked it finally poped last night. 4 hours later I come rolling in and she isn't at the kennel door, so I put everbody away and pull her out, she drank alittle but wouldn't eat, I did notce 2 small amount of diahria in the kennel.

so I move her out to under a tree and head to town and get some antibotics and some more blue coat. come home give her 1.5 cc and put the blue coat on her foot, by this time she wont get up. hour later she has a really bad seizure. know she wont open her eyes but is still breathing.

I am thinking she at something, so I walked threw the place and cant find any thing. has anybody seen a hound go down so fast? she has ben like this for 3 hours. I am waiting for her to pass so I can barry her. but this is weird.

looking for answer. thanks bill

AprilD

Re: sick hound!!!

Post by AprilD »

I have not seen that in a dog, but I have a friend who stuck himself with a rose thorn. Well next day he was in emergency room. Hand swelled up to his elbow. Long story short. He almost lost it ,needed surgery. Still hasnt got full use of his hand back. Was told some thorns have poison on them and / or could have been what he was fertilizing the roses with. Your situation may be totally unrelated to the thorn but you never know.
April D
Grantville, PA

foxxy

Post by foxxy »

is there any honey locas treees around. they can give off a poison in there thorns
DNA Jenny
Windy Ridge Lightning
Coal Runs Bowser
Coal Runs Lacey
Coal Runs Cappy
Coal Runs Amp
Coal Runs Yoshi
Lp r ch Turbos Grand Pappy Happy

bill (flint river )

I am not sure about that, there isnt a lot of thorns around the house, that thorn ben stuck in there for a few weeks, I tried to dig it out the vet tried to dig it out, it was a waiting game. I should have put her down all ready but my ten year old son wont let me, he is hoping she pulls threw but I am thinking her brain is cooked.

Will05

Post by Will05 »

why not take her to a vet?
Wsullivan777@gmail.com
Home of :
Sullivan's Sadie MaePatch
Sullivan's MollyPatch

bill (flint river )

Will05 wrote:why not take her to a vet?

she is in her final resting spot rapped up in a blanket, I am looking for answer on what could have taken her down this quick. the vet wouldn't have ben able to do anything, I don't trust them, I have lost a old female from a yot on father's day that cost me $1600 dollars and they didn't do what they should of, they waited 8 hours to stich her back togher but they missed a issue with her throat and she was drowning in her own blood. I will nurse my hounds as I have done for many years. i will put the ones down that need it, i just need to keep my son away till i can take care of it, he loves animals and is heart broken over this.

NeilKimbrel7

Post by NeilKimbrel7 »

Ive never heard of anything like that before. Sorry to hear that she didnt make it.
HOF LPGRCH GRPCH FCGD Kimbrel's Kickem Up Kane
Kimbrel's Flyby Foxy lady
Kimbrel’s Rock
Peeple’s Naughty Girl

BAOTB

bill (flint river )

i called a few of my old time beagle buddies with 90 years toghter, and they never seen or heard of this either. i am hoping someone has a idea. i don't need to lose any more hounds.

BB Beagles

Post by BB Beagles »

I'm sorry for loss if your hound. One of the hardest things bout it,is explaining it to youngens. My father-n-law lost 3 hounds back to back and all went fast like you described. Only thing that he could come up with was he had some mushrooms come up around his pen. He thinks they might have ate them. Not saying that's what happened just another thought. Again sorry for the loss
BONE BOX BEAGLES

bill (flint river )

did they start having seizure? I am thinking she ate something, I am also wondering if she had a infection and it went to her brain. just trying to piece this togher and ben keeping a close on on the other 4. they are all happy and sore from running and eating like horses.

Lil.Bredemeier

Post by Lil.Bredemeier »

That's weird..I had a 2 year old die today he had a thorn In his foot two weeks ago I couldn't get out. Its prolly unrelated to his death? But he hadn't been right since he lost appetite an seemed week an today it all ended.
FCGD Lprch pprch GLOMSKI'S BIG TIME
LpGrch GLOMSKI'S CRIMSON FLAME

HS Run

Post by HS Run »

Are you using the flea and tick med that goes down the back?

Lil.Bredemeier

Post by Lil.Bredemeier »

HS Run wrote:Are you using the flea and tick med that goes down the back?
I am.
FCGD Lprch pprch GLOMSKI'S BIG TIME
LpGrch GLOMSKI'S CRIMSON FLAME

BB Beagles

Post by BB Beagles »

I don't know for sure if they had seizure or not. He went to work they were fine, got home one was down and by that night it passed. Same with other two. I can say for sure bout seizure though. At first he suspected someone poisoned them then he noticed the mushrooms.
BONE BOX BEAGLES

HS Run

Post by HS Run »

I have a fiest male dog runs the property ...couldn't figure out why he started having seizures ...It is that Med you put down their back..Not all dogs are affected .But some are. Some it will Kill IMO... Again JMO...