Rabbit Wise Beagle

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Salzer mtn

Rabbit Wise Beagle

Post by Salzer mtn »

What is meant by this term "rabbit wise beagle" ?

pross

Re: Rabbit Wise Beagle

Post by pross »

When I hear that term used I think it describes a hound that has a knack for finding rabbits. I've had one of these hounds in my lifetime and very seldom did she ever miss a rabbit and usually would jump 90% of the rabbits no matter who went with me. There are a lot of dogs that have good hunt but being rabbit smart makes them a jump dog. It can also refer to other aspects of a hound but this is what I think of when that term is used.

Rcoff

Post by Rcoff »

When I hear the term rabbit wise, I think of a dog that has been around long enough to figure out the tough tracks, such as a "dog wise" rabbit. I have seen rabbits back track, then jump 15 feet into a weed bed with no trails going into it, and no scent leading to where the rabbit is, then set tight. A novice beagle would only find this rabbit by luck. A rabbit wise dog would figure out the back track, recognize the track ended, and procede to find the rabbit knowing it is sitting nearby. To me that dog is "rabbit wise". In other words, wise to a rabbit's tricks.
Thanks,
Bob
:loser: Coffmans Dougie Macrae at Stud (HOF Happyrun Calico Clem)
Coffmans Rabbit Ridge Hit Man (IFC Kickaz X South Woods Marley)

Lil.Bredemeier

Post by Lil.Bredemeier »

That's usually what I call a swinger.... :D
FCGD Lprch pprch GLOMSKI'S BIG TIME
LpGrch GLOMSKI'S CRIMSON FLAME

Will05

Post by Will05 »

Rcoff wrote:When I hear the term rabbit wise, I think of a dog that has been around long enough to figure out the tough tracks, such as a "dog wise" rabbit. I have seen rabbits back track, then jump 15 feet into a weed bed with no trails going into it, and no scent leading to where the rabbit is, then set tight. A novice beagle would only find this rabbit by luck. A rabbit wise dog would figure out the back track, recognize the track ended, and procede to find the rabbit knowing it is sitting nearby. To me that dog is "rabbit wise". In other words, wise to a rabbit's tricks.
Thanks,
Bob

+1 IMO rabbit wise is figuring out the tough tracks
Wsullivan777@gmail.com
Home of :
Sullivan's Sadie MaePatch
Sullivan's MollyPatch

oef10

Post by oef10 »

Dog with enough brains to remember a wiley rabbits tricks :D
Nathan Hanna
(616) 826-1019
HANNA'S IRON RAKKASAN
HANNA'S BLUE 3 BRAVO

Parker7

Post by Parker7 »

Wise to a rabbits tricks. Well said Bob

Salzer mtn

Post by Salzer mtn »

I was talking to a trialer one time and he made the statement about a certain AKC spo bloodline ( med speed, close check work) and he said that trialers that run this line try to finish out the males at a young age because when they get older they tend to get rabbit wise.

AprilD

Post by AprilD »

I was told it means the dog thinks about where the rabbit went instead of actually tracking it. But that could be wrong just what an old timer told me.
April D
Grantville, PA