should i be concerned?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Bull_357

Re: should i be concerned?

Post by Bull_357 »

They would be down the road. That's way to often every once in awhile for a tallyho in a big pack they will bark maybe once or twice the wrong way but they figure it out immediately and go the right way.
Contenderized

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

If you are gun hunter like me just keep running them . Now if you are a trialer I would be concerned . ;)
TheJohnBirchSociety

bodetis

Post by bodetis »

now when i say 50 percent, it may be more or less than that but seems quite a bit they do it. when i jump one i usually depending on where the dogs are will run up a bit the way the rabbit went just to get them on the track quicker, and they will run it back a bit before turning and going right way. they have no problem when they flush them out themselves, just the times when i see the rabbit shoot out a few feet from where they are hunting and them just not be on top of it just yet, or when i kick one up.either way i will get them on it and they runn it back to where it was sitting. now im a meat hunter only and they are very good dogs, just never had hounds to do it this much. getting rid of them is not an option, their all i have, just wanting to make sure it doesnt lead to truly backtracking. now obviously they get more up on their own, but usually one or may b two each trip are kicked up in the manner i explained. run the dogs ten times and say they do that on one rabbit each time for five outings but not the other five, would that be something to worry about , and thats what i mean by 50 percent of time.

Donnie Durbin

Post by Donnie Durbin »

I wouldn't worry about 5 yrds, but I would let them figure it out on their own. Most faster dogs will over run a rabbit farther than that. :D

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

mike crabtree wrote:Seems normal to me.

I agree now that I see what you said about how you call them in!! :nod:
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

LET THE DOGS DO THE TALKING
www.bornagainkennels.weebly.com

MasonKane Kennels

Post by MasonKane Kennels »

I wouldn't be too concerned if its rabbits your kicking up. There scenting a hot track and starting somewhere in the middle of it. Scents hot and strong in both directions. I would assume they will eventually learn which direction to go based on your instruction. If this the only concern with the dogs, i mean if they do good in every other aspect, I would probably keep working with them.

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

Botedis,
When any of us jump or see a rabbit, we call and point to the way it went and dogs learn fast that is where the track is and the way the rabbit went. Try doing that and I bet yours will do just as ours and race to where you are facing and pointing. When they get there, take a few steps in that direction too while calling and pointing and shaking your hand. I'll bet they soon will be jumping ahead of you and taking off.
I can't imagine one going any other direction but the way you are showing them the rabbit went after they learn you are showing them the right way.