Heavy inbreeding or linebreeding

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

kjohn2hunt

Re: Heavy inbreeding or linebreeding

Post by kjohn2hunt »

I crossed a half brother sister with the same sire. The 2 males that I kept are awesome. The female is linebreed sock it to me on her bottom side. I out crossed her to another male with similar traits and I am going to cross one of the males to a female out of the out cross. This should lock in the traits that I want.
RC Johnson's Rock'em Sugar
RC Johnson's Rock'em Jack
RC Copelands Super Dooper
GBC RC Peters P&P Jake
Johnson's Hydro
RC Johnson's Rock'em Voodoo
14 others in the making

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

I breed pretty close as most Patch folks do and I have for yrs. I've yet to get bugg eyed,short legged,short eared pups . Do u think the rabbits u run & kill aren't inbreed ? I'm pretty sure the buck rabbit don't ask for ID before he breeds a doe !
U got to be able to cull , this means U gotta keep full litters at first to see what U made
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

I breed pretty close as most Patch folks do and I have for yrs. I've yet to get bugg eyed,short legged,short eared pups . Do u think the rabbits u run & kill aren't inbreed ? I'm pretty sure the buck rabbit don't ask for ID before he breeds a doe !
U got to be able to cull , this means U gotta keep full litters at first to see what U made
LR Patch,

Life Expectancy for a rabbit is less than one year many of them have birth defects or are just unhealthy specimens that don't make it from birth. Just because an animal survives is not a justification to do it.

Selection is always the key.....few have a critical enough eye to be inbreeding, and most if not all would have better success outcrossing. There are likely A few success stories with inbreeding but by and large more harm than good is been done with the practice.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

All litters have culls. Won't matter whether linebred, outcrossed, or whatever.

Some culls will suffice for others. they all have holes, some just have smaller holes.
I took that phrase from someone else, not at all original...lol.
Last edited by BCBeagles on Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

I WANT TO HEAR FROM CHAPPY! :D
TheJohnBirchSociety

Ron Conroe

Post by Ron Conroe »

I think chappy is inbred himself..lol. One thing I do notice all the guys that like the inbreeding are down south, just saying........inbreeding weakens the genes,that's why a lot of your wild animals don't do it. But go figure we make our dogs do it. Wow :shock:

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

If it bad for humans to inbreed I think it would be the same for hounds.
TheJohnBirchSociety

tom summers

Post by tom summers »

Here is what I will contribute to the subject.
I had an awesome female directly out of Jiggs and an Indianhills female I was considering breeding to English Bobby (Jiggs littermate) I called Ray morel and he had told me he made a 1/2 bro. 1/2 sister cross one time and would never do it again!

In regards to wild animals studies have been done on deer and it has come to light that a buck will make up to 2 trips out of is core area during the rut insuring that the prodgeny are not inbred.

As for rabbits studies have been done that a cottontail will live its whole life in a 2 acre area if it has food water and ccover to sustain itself , with that being said I am sure that all of us have run in the spring when they are breeding and how ofter do you get a rabbit that will run completely out of the area when pushed just a little to areas that they do not go to as a norm? Once again this is nature insuring that the rabbits do not become all inbred.

As for beagles I will state that it has been my observation over the last 20 yrs of following bloodlines that the successful ( By this I mean on going success not just onetime) programs are a result of line breeding and not inbreeding in breeding which will show its occasional out cross.
These are just some of my thoughts and observations .
Tom Summers
Last edited by tom summers on Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Newt

Post by Newt »

I've got a litter of six from a half sister to half brother mating. Five are started and running at four months. Four hunt like mature hounds. The one that wasn't started was killed yesterday by a coyote. (survival of the fittest)?
All have long houndy ears, very friendly. Four of the five have very good mouths. One has a chirpy mouth but I'm hoping it develops into a squall. She is the best, most productive hunter in the litter at this point.
I would make a similar mating again.

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

I've got a litter of six from a half sister to half brother mating. Five are started and running at four months. Four hunt like mature hounds. The one that wasn't started was killed yesterday by a coyote. (survival of the fittest)?
The biggest issue I've had with inbred dogs is the high percentage of ones that "blow up" or develop really bad habits at 18 months to two years old. I attributed it to resorting back to the breeding.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

Never said I inbred , said I bred close . Prefer linebreeding myself . And I dought U know the true story behind most old time kennels + the several I've talked with over the yrs linebred . This has worked for me for 20 + yrs and they suit me & I buy the feed , right . Also I still say the wild game R kin
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

mn_beagleboy

Post by mn_beagleboy »

It cost too much and waste too much time to experiment an inbreeding litter. I might try down the road. I have done close to 30 times of inbreeding bird. For show, it is okay. For competition, it is useless. The inbreeding offspring are weak. They carry the trait I was looking for, but they always lack of energy. The parents are superior at competition. When inbreeding, I got some very weak and not healthy bird. I think it is the health that cause the inbreeding to go small. One other thing with bird when inbreeding, the offspring color is very light like an albino. When I breed those inbred back to each other, I continue to have that light color offspring. Inbreeding for personal use and show, it is okay. Breeding for competition , go with the norm. Just my two cents.

Sao
Minnesota Beagler

Dave Swiger

Post by Dave Swiger »

just a fact if you care to research the subject. so called line breeding is in breeding. line breeding is a pleasant term for in breeding. its just a matter of distance.

i invite anyone to come run with my inbred hounds, but bring dogs with an A game they will need it, my dogs are not for the faint of heart nuff said

chapkosbeagles

Post by chapkosbeagles »

when it comes to line breeding you better have ballanced hounds cause if they have faults your in trouble... like good trait double when line breeding so do the faults... the difference when faults are doubled they OFFTEN LOOK LIKE THEY TRIPLED... NOW FAULTS ARE IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER..

I MY SELF WOULD NEVER MAKE THESE BOTHER SISTER OR FATHER DOUGHTER CROSSES..... TOO CLOSE

MOTHERS IN THE WILD SEND THERE YOUNG A PACKING WHEN THEY ARE READY TO BE BREED....

I BELIEVE IN BREEDING THE BEST TO THE BEST, OR IF A BITCH IS REAL GOOD BUT IS A BIT WEEK IN THAT AREA THAN I LOOK FOR THE MALE THAT INPRINTS THAT INTO HIS PUPS... the old timers linebreed to lock in the traits they wanted than would outcross so they did not get to tight.... alot of them had top hounds.....

i no a lot of you guys have made way more breedings than i with a lot more success..... I OFFTEN LOOK FOR ADVICE FROM A COUPLE OLD TIMERS I NO WHEN IT COMES TO BREEDINGS... DEPENDING ON THE LINE OF DOGS I AM BREEDING I ASKED THE SOURCE WHAT THEY CROSS BEST WITH. AS OFFTEN THEY HAVE MADE SEVERAL BREEDINGS..

bill (flint river )

Post by bill (flint river ) »

Dave Swiger wrote:just a fact if you care to research the subject. so called line breeding is in breeding. line breeding is a pleasant term for in breeding. its just a matter of distance.

i invite anyone to come run with my inbred hounds, but bring dogs with an A game they will need it, my dogs are not for the faint of heart nuff said

u are wrong, when u line bred there will be some what of a out cross. half bother to half sister. there should be a out cross. lnbred u are breading with no out cross. mother to son, father to daughter u get it? this type of breeding is what started the BS we have to deal with health issue.