Heavy inbreeding or linebreeding

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

kjohn2hunt

Re: Heavy inbreeding or linebreeding

Post by kjohn2hunt »

All I got to say is look at the pedigree on a HOF AKC FC dog that is producing HOF dogs and he was the result if 2 half brother sister crosses and he turned out just fine, and is one heck of a rabbit dog.
RC Johnson's Rock'em Sugar
RC Johnson's Rock'em Jack
RC Copelands Super Dooper
GBC RC Peters P&P Jake
Johnson's Hydro
RC Johnson's Rock'em Voodoo
14 others in the making

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

I thought half brother x half sister cross was okay to do . I guess if I ever breed some hounds I better read some books .
TheJohnBirchSociety

Dave Swiger

Post by Dave Swiger »

bill (flint river ) wrote:
Dave Swiger wrote:just a fact if you care to research the subject. so called line breeding is in breeding. line breeding is a pleasant term for in breeding. its just a matter of distance.

i invite anyone to come run with my inbred hounds, but bring dogs with an A game they will need it, my dogs are not for the faint of heart nuff said

u are wrong, when u line bred there will be some what of a out cross. half bother to half sister. there should be a out cross. lnbred u are breading with no out cross. mother to son, father to daughter u get it? this type of breeding is what started the BS we have to deal with health issue.
i have done my homework and stand on the statements i have made.

sbeagler

Post by sbeagler »

i consider half sibling crosses to be less risky than full sibling or father x daughter son x mother at east you have one out cross potentially i tried a half sibling cross half were keepers the other half mouthy or just not tough enough for me

mn_beagleboy

Post by mn_beagleboy »

Inbreeding to lock on to the trait is okay. Inbreeding for hunting purpose getting the job done, that is okay. Inbreeding for competition against the best, good luck. You might have the coldest nose, closest check, best line running dog out there, but he would not be able to take the intensity of competition. I have not heard an inbred dog dominating the akc field trial. I have heard of inbred dog as good hunting dog. When it comes to inbreeding, be very selective. All you going to get is the trait. I bred my best pigeon to his best daughter and I got some below average bird. I did the same thing best mother/son cross and got some below average bird. Inbreeding is for locking on to some trait and not for competition. Those who just started breeding, please don't waste your time on father/daughter and mother/son cross. The closest you want to go is half bro/sis, grandparents, cousins, aunt/nepher, uncle/neice. The best result I got is a good linebred male or female outcross with a very good male/female than cross it right back into my line. If anybody wants to learn the art of breeding, you should race pigeon. It cost less with feed and less time consuming.
Minnesota Beagler

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

For every outstanding inbred dog you find there will be 50 outstanding hounds not inbred. They may go back to close inbreeding but the outstanding dogs are produced by well selected outcrosses!

Back in the day when transportation or information about top hounds was tough to come by I can see why guys had to breed close for several generations to get what they needed. Now days you can do your homework and breed for the traits you need without inbreeding. For those that feel the irresistible need to inbreed or feel your gaining some advantage, more power to you. I just hope those of you that choose to inbreed don't sell puppies to unsuspecting young beaglers that don't know any better.

Regardless how you breed, look forward to meeting some new faces at the trials this fall.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

Salzer mtn

Post by Salzer mtn »

My horse riding buddy had a TN Walking mare that was a half brother and sister cross. Best looking, best riding horse a person ever rode.

Dave Swiger

Post by Dave Swiger »

lots of facts and figures being thrown around on this thread, wonder how much is the product of sound research and how much is....I THINK.

If you want to get the insight by someone who has been there done that....ask dexter reffett

northernhare

Post by northernhare »

[quote="mybeagles"]For every outstanding inbred dog you find there will be 50 outstanding hounds not inbred. They may go back to close inbreeding but the outstanding dogs are produced by well selected outcrosses!

Back in the day when transportation or information about top hounds was tough to come by I can see why guys had to breed close for several generations to get what they needed. Now days you can do your homework and breed for the traits you need without inbreeding. For those that feel the irresistible need to inbreed or feel your gaining some advantage, more power to you. I just hope those of you that choose to inbreed don't sell puppies to unsuspecting young beaglers that don't know any better.

:check: :check:
Run to catch!!!

Lil.Bredemeier

Post by Lil.Bredemeier »

Ron Conroe wrote:Some of the good traits you get are bug eyed, bull legged, short eared, idiots. :shock:
I've seen a lot of heavy linebred dogs some with plenty of issues but none had short ears or Bull legged... Two dogs out the five best I've ever seen were father daughter cross's that hadn't had a outcross in five generations...I'm not saying you don't get some idiots but if done right you can easilyget a next level hound...not your normal BAOTB
FCGD Lprch pprch GLOMSKI'S BIG TIME
LpGrch GLOMSKI'S CRIMSON FLAME

Aubrey Holcombe

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

Very Interesting Post,, to say the least?

I enjoyed you all Input..

Suppose I been doing it all wrong for many years now..

I love the comment from Ron Conroe,, He wants to send it All Down South?
He must Live at the North Pole, with Ol Santa? 3 for 3 that's not bad.

Tom,, you sound like a very Smart youung man, and would do well down South..

Yep,, it takes a lots of years of What I been calling Line breeding, and then you Have to Knwo When to do that Out Cross!!

Gotta,, choose the Out Cross, with what you been breeding and it has to be as well,, or Better to Keep the pups acceptable.. In othe words,, you have to have that Out Cross, hound there in Your Own Kennels and watch That Hound run as mcuh as your Line Breed hounds.. In other works it takes a bunch of time,, 7 days a week, and I am about to get tired of it,, but it my health that keeping me down these days.. I can't run and keep up with them any more,, but with the use of my Kubota RTV 900 I can see a lots, sometime some things that i don't like to see and some things I wish You all could see !!

keep Looking Up!
D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~> Dixie land~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :dance:
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

I would like to hear landline take on this subject . Or branko or joe from Green Bay kennel take on this .
TheJohnBirchSociety

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

Aubrey Holcombe wrote:Very Interesting Post,, to say the least?

I enjoyed you all Input..

Suppose I been doing it all wrong for many years now..

I love the comment from Ron Conroe,, He wants to send it All Down South?
He must Live at the North Pole, with Ol Santa? 3 for 3 that's not bad.

Tom,, you sound like a very Smart youung man, and would do well down South..

Yep,, it takes a lots of years of What I been calling Line breeding, and then you Have to Knwo When to do that Out Cross!!

Gotta,, choose the Out Cross, with what you been breeding and it has to be as well,, or Better to Keep the pups acceptable.. In othe words,, you have to have that Out Cross, hound there in Your Own Kennels and watch That Hound run as mcuh as your Line Breed hounds.. In other works it takes a bunch of time,, 7 days a week, and I am about to get tired of it,, but it my health that keeping me down these days.. I can't run and keep up with them any more,, but with the use of my Kubota RTV 900 I can see a lots, sometime some things that i don't like to see and some things I wish You all could see !!

keep Looking Up!
D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~> Dixie land~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :dance:
Amen Daddy Rabbit, Guess i been screwing up also.
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

Newt

Post by Newt »

Ron Conroe wrote:Some of the good traits you get are bug eyed, bull legged, short eared, idiots.

Producing the "Bug eyed, Bull legged, short eared, Idiots, is not the problem. Its the "Idiots" that would use the dog for stud, if it won a Field Trial.

Onstott: If you can't cull, then don't breed.

cris axtell/coal hill ken

Post by cris axtell/coal hill ken »

Ron you have no idea what your talking about. We breed very close with no problems and very good results. My friend bread his stud back to his daughters for six generations with out any faults showing up. That's why I went to this line of dogs. The key is not to bread faulty dogs to each other.
COAL HILL KENNELS. LP GR CH Coal Hill's Brush Buster. 2014 PA state champion LP GR CH Coal Hill's Mama Cass. 2010 PA state champion LP R CH GR BCH Coal Hill's Princess Willow HOG DOG POWER!!!!