Shooter Hounds ???

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

mdbeagler

Re: Shooter Hounds ???

Post by mdbeagler »

mn_beagleboy wrote:Trackstar,
Greenbay got two pups out of deano/remi, three pups out of max/remi, and three pups out of max/foxy. If they are similar to my, they should be very nice to own. If I were you, I would go straight to the source. They will not be cheap, but worth every penny you spend. You won't go wrong if they are similar to my. Good luck.

Sao
Going straight to the source?
Wouldn't that be Shooter himself?
Trackstar Joe Eason in NC has several nice dogs directly out of Shooter, from different crosses.

chapkosbeagles

Post by chapkosbeagles »

i would breed to eli as he has the shooter and dinha cross and i think the max dog big reproducing stock all lined up......

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

The video below is A female directly out of Shooter. Its an old video. She was only 10 months. Please forgive my babbling. I was young and foolish at the time. I spoke to Joe K after he watched this video and he told me that was typical of how Shooter hounds ran. Also Be carefull of what you buy. People bred a buntch subpar brood bitchs to him I was told. Know what your buying, do some research on the Dam side. Especially now that he has been off stud for a while, you will most likely be buying a Shooter grand pups or great grand pups. I bred her reacently to a male that is line bred Grimshaw(12 crosses of grimshaw) on top and P.A. Hall of fame cottontail breeding on the bottom. I kept one little female and have high hopes for her. Good luck...DH

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

I have a Female out of shooter X litermate sister to Reggie, Greenwells T-N-T Dixie. My female is medium speed but gears up in real good scenting or with faster pack. I also have granddaughter to Shooter out of Lang's Little Eddie that runs identical to the Shooter female.

From what I've owned and seen of Shooter dogs they run Medium speed with good control. Some fast bitches were bred to him with mixed results....if you get good one you get a real special dog otherwise you likely have a cull. Sort of all or nothing as is the case anytime you breed two different style hounds and try to get the best traits from both.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

mn_beagleboy

Post by mn_beagleboy »

I think greenbay has some of the nicest shooter crossed. If I were to start all over again from scratch, greenbay is the first thing in mind. Believe it or not, that is the only kennel that will sell its best. Good luck on finding what you looking for.
Minnesota Beagler

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

MDbeagler...The dog you have out of big spring and shooter was breeed by Joe Garmache. Joe is from New England and I spoke to him over the phone a few times when he was making that cross. I think he made it twice and I was getting a little female from it but I was busy at the time and had alot going on and couldn't handle a pup so I turned it down. Joe told me Big Spring was a big agressive dog and would throw pups over 15 at times and a little too much on the line, So Joe bred her too Shooter trying to get dogs under 15" with more control. At least thats what he told me at the time. He also bred Big Spring to FC Sabbatus Mountain Otis for the same two reasons. Otis could throw control into a female that was borderline on control but also could throw foot to a female that was too conservative. Those crosses to Shooter and Otis with big Spring threw outstanding pups produced multple FC's. Now looking back I wished I would have taken the pup. Joe Garmache is one of the nicest men in the sport of beagling. I think the best crosses are made by people who have a clear understanding of what the outcome should be and what both dogs bring to the equation.....DH

mdbeagler

Post by mdbeagler »

deerhost wrote:MDbeagler...The dog you have out of big spring and shooter was breeed by Joe Garmache. Joe is from New England and I spoke to him over the phone a few times when he was making that cross. I think he made it twice and I was getting a little female from it but I was busy at the time and had alot going on and couldn't handle a pup so I turned it down. Joe told me Big Spring was a big agressive dog and would throw pups over 15 at times and a little too much on the line, So Joe bred her too Shooter trying to get dogs under 15" with more control. At least thats what he told me at the time. He also bred Big Spring to FC Sabbatus Mountain Otis for the same two reasons. Otis could throw control into a female that was borderline on control but also could throw foot to a female that was too conservative. Those crosses to Shooter and Otis with big Spring threw outstanding pups produced multple FC's. Now looking back I wished I would have taken the pup. Joe Garmache is one of the nicest men in the sport of beagling. I think the best crosses are made by people who have a clear understanding of what the outcome should be and what both dogs bring to the equation.....DH
Actually the dog I have out of that cross was bred by Adam Seger, the cross was made twice when Joe and Adam both owned her. The 3rd time the cross was made by Adam, Joe was bought out and Adam was the sole owner.
A friend of mine had a pup from the first and second cross, I had 2 of them here out of the 3rd cross.
The faster of the 2 is in North Carolina now.

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

I know that Adam purchased Spring. I didn't know that he bred her too Shooter after he acquired her. Do you have a male or a female from that cross?

baj

Post by baj »

I have a 13 1/2 inch female off shooter and she will never be forsale. She's 3 yrs old and makeing a great jump dog, has tremendous hunt, runs upper med speed, can run a rabbit solo or in a pack, has a bark that you can pick out of the pack, high pitch machine gun chop, and handles great. Bred her to Stylish Dakota and had 5 pups and they are almost 3 months old and really looking good. When i turn them loose they keep their nose to the ground. Haven't tried to start them yet but will when they're 4 or 5 months old.