Little Pack/ Midwest

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Chuck Prather

Re: Little Pack/ Midwest

Post by Chuck Prather »

I thought Chappy died at his computer a while back or was that somebody else?

Bear Creek Kennel

Post by Bear Creek Kennel »

mybeagles wrote:Bear creek,

I'll offer a third possibility:

The female is good and stamps good traits; the males are good and stamp good traits, thus you get good pups with both male and female contributing positive traits.
I believe this to be true most of the time. (Although honestly we can replace the word "good" with the word "average" and probably be more accurate in most cases.) However, I am talking only about a female that is basically a reproducing freak of nature. These dont come along very often though...

bill (flint river )

Post by bill (flint river ) »

Bear Creek Kennel wrote:
mybeagles wrote:Bear creek,

I'll offer a third possibility:

The female is good and stamps good traits; the males are good and stamp good traits, thus you get good pups with both male and female contributing positive traits.
I believe this to be true most of the time. (Although honestly we can replace the word "good" with the word "average" and probably be more accurate in most cases.) However, I am talking only about a female that is basically a reproducing freak of nature. These dont come along very often though...

branko's fire he lost atleast one reproducing freak, but I beleave he lost more!!

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

Most are average because most dogs bred are average. If there was more emphasis on breeding best instead of everyone inbreeding their "average" dogs we would be further ahead. Too many guys opt to breed to a dog with their kennel name rather than the best available.

I personally would not want a pup out of my kennel if a pup out of better dogs was available. In my conversations most guys don't feel that way.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

Bear Creek Kennel

mybeagles wrote:
Most are average because most dogs bred are average. If there was more emphasis on breeding best instead of everyone inbreeding their "average" dogs we would be further ahead. Too many guys opt to breed to a dog with their kennel name rather than the best available.

I personally would not want a pup out of my kennel if a pup out of better dogs was available. In my conversations most guys don't feel that way.
That is exactly my point

chapkosbeagles

Post by chapkosbeagles »

everyones better is different... what i like you may not..
i do understand what you are saying thow....

i like super faast but as clean as your little dogs.

nutbush

Post by nutbush »

rabbit chaser wrote:HOLY :offtopic: :offtopic: I started reading this thread about a fella just lookin for a certain style of hound to see run and by page three it had turned to isolated genes pools and apparently me being a idiot because I went to college :confused: :confused: did I miss something?
LOL!!! My thoughts exactly! I do like the PP dogs but u can only line breed so much. In PP u primarily got JD, Homer, and Tadpole with a couple other dogs thrown in. I'm just looking for something to cross into these type dogs. I have crossed the UBGF style dogs with them and I sold everything I got. So now I'm startting over and am willing to sacrifice line control for more hunt and drive. I found a guy close that has Bramlett dogs and am going to look at them, but I still want to check out some Northway and Branko type dogs also.
Always trying to BETTER the BREED!

Newman

Post by Newman »

Send me a pm with your phone number and ill give you a call.I have some northway dogs and alittle branko.And Iam only a few hours away.

Bear Creek Kennel

nutbush wrote:
rabbit chaser wrote:HOLY :offtopic: :offtopic: I started reading this thread about a fella just lookin for a certain style of hound to see run and by page three it had turned to isolated genes pools and apparently me being a idiot because I went to college :confused: :confused: did I miss something?
LOL!!! My thoughts exactly! I do like the PP dogs but u can only line breed so much. In PP u primarily got JD, Homer, and Tadpole with a couple other dogs thrown in. I'm just looking for something to cross into these type dogs. I have crossed the UBGF style dogs with them and I sold everything I got. So now I'm startting over and am willing to sacrifice line control for more hunt and drive. I found a guy close that has Bramlett dogs and am going to look at them, but I still want to check out some Northway and Branko type dogs also.
nutbush where are you located in West TN? I have some friends up that way and some have some tadpole bred dogs.

BigWoods

Post by BigWoods »

If I was you, I would look at the breedings Shannon Howard from Ky was making and running in PP. He had Tadpole, Weircreek and Ranger Dan (Mid-West style) and got about what your looking for. They had good foot, good line control and hunt. Do a search on Willow Creek here. It is a place to start.

I have a male that has a ton of hunt and puts it in his pups as well. He is a similar cross of cottontail breeding mixed with Northern hare hound breeding. He has a mix from Blackcreek to Colby HIll bloodlines in him. He is a PP style dog that goes when you unsnap him. So I know exactly what your looking for.

nutbush

Post by nutbush »

Ripley, tn.
Always trying to BETTER the BREED!