Little Pack/ Midwest

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

nutbush

Little Pack/ Midwest

Post by nutbush »

Hey guys, I am just a rabbit hunter. I have always heard about the Branko, Turbo, Bramlett type dogs but have never seen any first hand. My first question is which format has the most conservative type dogs, Little Pack or Midwest? I have always heard about the extreme hunt out of these type dogs but have never seen for myself. I am from an UBGF/PPtype background but am very open to other style of dogs. I have a jam up good Homer male and have thought about crossing him with a Midwest type gundog. Is there anyone near West Tn that runs those type dogs that I could go and watch and get my own opinion about?
Always trying to BETTER the BREED!

mybeagles

Re: Little Pack/ Midwest

Post by mybeagles »

Very broad spectrum of dogs in Midwest....some medium speed all the way to extreme fast and rough. Depends on running conditions and who is judging to determine the winner at any given trial.

As far as breeding to a faster dog, keep in mind that if you breed a fast dog to slow dog you will end up with some slow pups and some fast pups....if you have an understanding of the style hound you want, breeding two hounds that closely resemble that style is the best way to produce more of the same. Breeding a dog to change their style is difficult and often takes several generations.

Lots of Midwest and LP guys on here, good luck...
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

Lee Cockman

Post by Lee Cockman »

Bramlett
C&F Cottontail Kennels

C&F's Cinnamon Run RedBug
C&F's Talkabout TBO

J.C. Blair

Post by J.C. Blair »

nutbush wrote:Hey guys, I am just a rabbit hunter. I have always heard about the Branko, Turbo, Bramlett type dogs but have never seen any first hand. My first question is which format has the most conservative type dogs, Little Pack or Midwest? I have always heard about the extreme hunt out of these type dogs but have never seen for myself. I am from an UBGF/PPtype background but am very open to other style of dogs. I have a jam up good Homer male and have thought about crossing him with a Midwest type gundog. Is there anyone near West Tn that runs those type dogs that I could go and watch and get my own opinion about?
I dont know how far you are from lewisburg TN, but I have a good friend down there that runs a hard hittin dog with plenty of speed and can lock on. Hes got quite a few good ones to watch. He goes by Newman on this beagle board.
EAST RIDGE KENNEL
2010 Natl CH LPGRCH East Ridge Black Phantom
East Ridge The Dark Side
Weedeater Foxy
East Ridge Allie Gator
East Ridge Tomahawk

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

mybeagles wrote:Very broad spectrum of dogs in Midwest....some medium speed all the way to extreme fast and rough. Depends on running conditions and who is judging to determine the winner at any given trial.

As far as breeding to a faster dog, keep in mind that if you breed a fast dog to slow dog you will end up with some slow pups and some fast pups....if you have an understanding of the style hound you want, breeding two hounds that closely resemble that style is the best way to produce more of the same. Breeding a dog to change their style is difficult and often takes several generations.

+1
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

Newman

Post by Newman »

Where are you located in west Tn.

nutbush

Post by nutbush »

Ripley Tn.
Always trying to BETTER the BREED!

big mike 50

Post by big mike 50 »

I owned a a nice little female that was Shorts breeding on the top and Michigan hare breeding on the bottom. She was a step too fast for ubgf as the guy I sold her to entered her in a ubgf trial and she was picked up in the winners pack for "running too much rabbit" but I like a midwest style dog and she was too slow to run with the rest. I wonder if I would have bred her to a faster dog if the pups would have been faster but as mybeagles said I bet it would have been 2 or 3 more generations from her to get that. Lone Pine on this board bred the bitch she was out of and got her from me. He is a great guy to talk to about beagle breeding and maybe could tell you her pedigree better than I as to what that cross was because she was a great rabbit dog. To me it sounds like you may want to see if there are any ARHA progressive pack clubs in your area as that may be the style you are looking for. To me they are faster than ubgf but not quite Mid-West or little pack. My opinion is worth what you paid for it and good luck as trying new things are always exciteing.
When the tailgate drops the bull$#!t stops

PREACHERS KENNEL

Post by PREACHERS KENNEL »

speed my friend is the eaiseest thing to add... but as has been stated be best to kepp several if not all the litter i would go to extreme on the one that was faster ... there are pp dogs that can fly and do it pretty clean ..i can run pp or lp with mine and do well.
ACTS 2:38=repent,baptised in the name of jesus christ,receive the holy ghost!

Cooz's Beagles

Post by Cooz's Beagles »

big mike 50 wrote:I owned a a nice little female that was Shorts breeding on the top and Michigan hare breeding on the bottom. She was a step too fast for ubgf as the guy I sold her to entered her in a ubgf trial and she was picked up in the winners pack for "running too much rabbit" but I like a midwest style dog and she was too slow to run with the rest. I wonder if I would have bred her to a faster dog if the pups would have been faster but as mybeagles said I bet it would have been 2 or 3 more generations from her to get that. Lone Pine on this board bred the bitch she was out of and got her from me. He is a great guy to talk to about beagle breeding and maybe could tell you her pedigree better than I as to what that cross was because she was a great rabbit dog. To me it sounds like you may want to see if there are any ARHA progressive pack clubs in your area as that may be the style you are looking for. To me they are faster than ubgf but not quite Mid-West or little pack. My opinion is worth what you paid for it and good luck as trying new things are always exciteing.
I have a cpl hounds from lone pine beagles. They are progressive pack bred on dams side and more hare bred on sire's side. I have one that runs a straight progressive pack speed, and her half sister who can really roll on a track and do it right. She has places in two different formats, and is my best dog. Its A difficult one but getting speed and line control is possible.

-----
Kristina Cusimano
Cooz's Beagles
Cooz's Just Snoop in Around
Lone Pine Cooz's Swampin Sammi
Lone Pine Cooz's Nicci
Lone Pine Hank the Tank

chapkosbeagles

Post by chapkosbeagles »

mybeagles wrote:Very broad spectrum of dogs in Midwest....some medium speed all the way to extreme fast and rough. Depends on running conditions and who is judging to determine the winner at any given trial.

i disagree!!! i believe speed is carried on the mothers side... i have did studies,and have facts to sapport my hypothisis...

just take a super fast hard hitting male and breed him to 3 different brace bitches... keep all the pups start them and watch.. as a rule they will MOST all run like there mother,SLOW . none will be fast like the father...
than take 3 super fast bitches and breed them to a brace male.. keep all the pups start them and watch as a rule MOST all the pups will run like there mother FAST..non will be as slow as the father..

i have done this.. this is why i think speed is carried on the mothers side... as far as other traits.. look to the male that is inprinting them in his pups...

just something i have learned and figured i would share....

i have done this right in my back yard... i think the mix you get is when breeding simiular dog that you will get the spectrum from 1 to 10 or (equal) if breeding total oppisites it is like a 1to 5 or a 5 to 10 spectrum..... bitch being fast 5 to 10 bitch being brace 1 to 5

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

Chappy,

Your hypothesis defies the laws of genetics. I suggest you contact the University of Michigan genetics researchers and get this documented so you can be credited with the discovery of a new trait only passed on by the dam.....
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

chapkosbeagles

Post by chapkosbeagles »

explain how it defies nature
i no coon hunters who have sent there dogs dna in to the collages and crossed them the way they said to make super dog... and the litter was all culls :nod:

i told ya what i done try it...
Last edited by chapkosbeagles on Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bill (flint river )

Post by bill (flint river ) »

chappy, I don't know what to say to ya, but u are wrong, over the last 30 years I have added foot to a lot of my hounds, some males stamp there genic profile more then others just like femals

chapkosbeagles

Post by chapkosbeagles »

have any of you breed a all brace bitch to fast males? and got fast dogs?

i could be wrong but i stand buy my study... they were olny done with a select number of dogs as my resources were limited... meaning number of dogs