UP Micigan Hare populations

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

2barrel

UP Micigan Hare populations

Post by 2barrel »

Any word on Hare numbers this year in UP Michigan compared to last few years?

chapkosbeagles

Re: UP Micigan Hare populations

Post by chapkosbeagles »

down down down
wolf up up up
= dead dog outside of pen

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

Stay home if u like your hounds !
TheJohnBirchSociety

TallPaul

Post by TallPaul »

Haven't seen any in the wild since last Feb. Lots of owls, fox, cats, and weasels
Beagling is not a science, just an opinion!

mike crabtree

Post by mike crabtree »

I heard from a guy in the UP that the Hare were so plentiful that they were starting to hunt and kill Wolves. I may have to come up that way for a week and see for my self. 4 Redneck Hillbillys and 20 mountain dogs should be enuff Wolf bait to take the pressure off you guys for a little while.
Wanna run Dogs? U R Invited.
276 620 1572

hounddog

Post by hounddog »

mike crabtree wrote:I heard from a guy in the UP that the Hare were so plentiful that they were starting to hunt and kill Wolves. I may have to come up that way for a week and see for my self. 4 Redneck Hillbillys and 20 mountain dogs should be enuff Wolf bait to take the pressure off you guys for a little while.
I talked to my hounds last night and we all agreed we are not sceerd of the the big bad wolf. We have been working on our hand to hand or paw to paw combat. I'm ready to roll!

hounddog
Jim Umbarger
---------Jump Mountain Kennels-----------
540-292-3000

T LEE

Post by T LEE »

Jim , I like the Paw to Paw combat idea. I have been mixing Bully Max Supplements in my dogs food for the last couple of weeks. I'm starting to see a little "Roid Rage " already. :D

I've had my dogs review "The Gray" with Liam Neeson staring in it. They are ready for that final fight sceen with thier paws taped up and broken glass hanging off. :D

That's about all I can offer them for now. Looking forward to the trip.

Troy

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

I hope you guys have a safe trip and can continue to joke about it when you return home.
This will mean you did not have any encounters with wolves, which you will be a few of the lucky ones.

Here in WI, the population has gotten so out of control that they are killing the bear hounds, yes hounds (plural) at the tree.
They are not just killing the hounds anymore, they are eating them now too.
We have so many wolves that they are decimating the deer herd and looking for easier prey.
My die hard bear hunting buddy has quit running for this season until something can be done. He has lost his younger hounds at the tree and is afraid to run his older breeding stock for fear they will wipe him out.
I just spoke with him the other day and said with what they are doing to the bear hounds (Plotts) a beagle has no chance what so ever.

Also , be sure to carry a firearm at all times. A young kid camping was pulled out of his tent by his head by a wolf about a month ago in MN. He did survive, but has massive flesh damage to his scalp.

Again, good luck and I hope we get to here about a fun and safe trip from you.

T LEE

Post by T LEE »

Thanks Swampman , We have sure seen the Wolf population take off while coming up the last 11 years. I hear there will be a season on Wolves this year in Michigan.

We see Wolves every year and use a few tactics and countermeasures that have worked well for us in the past. Wild animals are unpredictable
but I refuse to stay at home and hide under the bed. ;) We're looking forward to a good time and have no choice but to take things as they come.

Happy Hunting

Troy
Last edited by T LEE on Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

Troy,

Would love to hear about said tactics in a PM if you don't mind. ;)

T LEE

Post by T LEE »

Swampman , You have a PM. :check:

TallPaul

Post by TallPaul »

T LEE wrote:Thanks Swampman , We have sure seen the Wolf population take off while coming up the last 11 years. I hear there with be a season on Wolves this year in Michigan.

We see Wolves every year and use a few tactics and countermeasures that have worked well for us in the past. Wild animals are unpredictable
but I refuse to stay at home and hide under the bed. ;) We're looking forward to good time and have no choice but to take things as they come.
What tactics could you have to deter a 120 lb wolf from eating your prized beagle?
Last edited by TallPaul on Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beagling is not a science, just an opinion!

T LEE

Post by T LEE »

TallPual , I sent you a few tips that have helped us out. Just like the Navy shooting this week , No preventive is a cure all but this list has helped us .

bill (flint river )

Post by bill (flint river ) »

shot at the mother phucker first and formost. u see him, shot at him. once they start getting shot at, they will lose some of there balls e ness. then when they here hounds barking they will leave the area!!! good luck guys

Budd

Post by Budd »

Nephew just call and said there is a wolf by one of the property's that he mows. He said every time he gets out of his truck the wolf starts towards him. He has been waiting 15 minutes for it to leave so he can mow. I told him to stay in his truck and I called my neighbor the C.O. and he is headed over there now. Ricky said the wolf is acting very weird and it's rear end don't look rite and is kind of wobbly.