Best performance of a male and female that you have seen???

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

gfedor

Re: Best performance of a male and female that you have seen

Post by gfedor »

Not at a trial, but 1 full rabbit season some year ago when I was younger, no other responsibilities, I would run my hounddog mentor dogs for him, he (joe MacFarlane ) of nj was getting up there in age, so I would stop by 3xs a week and run his dogs along with my dogs. Well he had this grade female that would totally dominate all the dogs while running or hunting. Fast,clean,no breakdowns at all. Hunted her hard along with other guys in area that had really good dogs, they all wanted to buy her, she was amazing to watch. I remember telling joe how good she was, and that guys where calling me up making offers for her, turns out he eventually sold her to some guy in ny. It turns out the guy from ny was Anthony from Bellmore kennels. He has a write up about her saying how she was the best dog he ever had.
If i was smart I should of bought her grade dog or not, she was the best. I miss her and joe .

Rabbit/Hareman123

Post by Rabbit/Hareman123 »

Years ago when i lived in new york,joe was the go to guy to buy a dog, if i couldn't find one or two in north carolina at my family reunion i would always stop coming up the new jersey turnpike on the way home at exit 7a and go see my old buddy joe.

gfedor

Post by gfedor »

Pm sent

SMITTY1233

Post by SMITTY1233 »

Sunset Scooter and Blackies T Rex at North Central Ohio. I drew out in two cast with Scooter and I thought I had two pretty good dogs in the trial both of which made the winners pack that day. However Scooter was amazing to watch run vs what I knew my two dogs to be. He locked on a couple rabbits and I'm not sure he ever made a miss the entire day. The pack would over run or miss and he would just snap and turn the rabbit right out of the middle of them all. In the winners pack if my reelection is right T Rex would get on the front Scooter right behind and they just drive the absolute hair off the rabbit with barely a loss ever. About 10 minutes into the winners pack I knew I wasn't playing for 1st or 2nd place. Only time I ever saw Scooter run I had seen T Rex a few other times.

I watched Stine Time Ivy in some of the worst Northern Michigan conditions imaginable consistently put on a show under the gun. I gunned her for about 6-7 years never owned her but had her a lot. It didn't matter what I threw down with her she would hold it all together consistently and by the end of the day you couldn't help but simply be amazed at her ability in 24" of snow and -10 degrees to jump, drive and run a hare to the gun. I've never seen any other beagle that even came close to comparing to her in the gun dogs woods. Was never big enough or footy enough to win any trials. She'd place in darn near every one but was usually scoring from the middle to the back of the pack. Simply outstanding dog every time she came out of the box
hounds... hare.... hunter.... bang... what gets better than that.
SMITH BROS. BEAGLES
KRIS SMITH
517-881-0353

bluegrass1

Post by bluegrass1 »

I judged the trial you are talking about with T Rex & Scooter. That was a large entry class for little males; 35 or so I think. We had some great running that day & it took a heck of a dog to run good enough to make the 9 dog winners pack. Your dogs ran good that day too, but you are right Scooter & T Rex put on a show. I think we may have even braced them and still had a hard time picking the winner; it was back and forth; fast but smooth like they were tied to it. I wish we could have given out two blue ribbons that day, but we gave the edge to T Rex. He had a little more foot & they were about even on checks, but Scooter was on top early then T Rex kept getting stronger & stronger & it was about as tough of a decision on a winner between two dogs that I can remember. A couple weeks later I judged that class again and Scooter won. He was a great hound; both were for sure, but like I said it took a very nice hound to make the winners pack out of that large class that day. You had very good hounds back then. I remember them. Greg Wells

SMITTY1233

Post by SMITTY1233 »

I couldn't even remember who won I just knew about 10 minutes into the winners pack I wasn't playing for a top 2 finish. Those two dogs were absolutely burning the fur off the rabbit. That cool thing was we were in a place where the gallery could see literally everything that was going on. I really enjoyed going down to North Central OH the two times I went. People were great the grounds were awesome and it always seemed like some great dogs showed up from all over the place. Two out of the three I was running made the winners pack that day. Both had two wins on them and neither placed and rightfully so. I miss the beagling scene it was a great time with great people. I'm into treeing bears and killing bobcats and coyotes now with the big hounds. I'll be back to beagles someday it was my roots and taught me a ton about running true on game. I pop in from now in then to check back with some good friends and those I value their opinions on hounds in here. Its fun to reminisce....
hounds... hare.... hunter.... bang... what gets better than that.
SMITH BROS. BEAGLES
KRIS SMITH
517-881-0353

MasonsBeagles

Post by MasonsBeagles »

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:42 pm
I watched osbornes spade put it on dogs so bad for 3 days in coal country. I was ready to kill everthing I owned. He was probaly 2yrs old. What a powerhouse on a running rabbit. Unreal
I believe ill second that Jimmy.. I remember you and I sitting back going WTF.. Hed hit and go out of hearing the other dogs would fall eventually fall in about the time the pack had covered the line, Ole Spade was already bringing the rabbit around from another direction.. He probably was running a mile ahead of everything those few days... Finally had to say NO MAS!!! Hes blowing up my young dogs...lol

Also hats to off to that female Kevin Monroe had at the world years ago, she ended up winning it. I took Krissy who was out of shape but still wicked and that female of Kevins just whipped that pack of dogs for the whole cast.. She was Nasty and made em like it.
Please visit
http://www.LiveStockSeller.com NEW LIVESTOCK SITE. Totally Free Listings
http://www.NeededPrayers.com we have just relaunched.

teddy

Re: Best performance of a male and female that you have seen???

Post by teddy »

FC Mountain State Blue Bud...

I ran with Bud one night when he was 12.. yes 12 years old. There was some nice hounds down. I giggled to myself when I saw Lowell put Bud in the box because I thought those strong young hounds were gonna leave the old dog in the dust.

Turns out Bud jumped every rabbit and grabbed nearly every check. Ran like a three year old. And turns out this happend every single time I ran with him. A more solid rabbit dog does not exist.

Markday

Post by Markday »

Buds trial record speaks for its self they don't come more consistent then bud is. And there ain't a better guy out there then lowell smith.

bigdogpace

Post by bigdogpace »

mt. state bluebud what a hound. saw alot of others in 50 yrs. but he comes to mind bitch i had named little bit never saw one before or since as good as she was.
BIGDOGPACE

Remmy

Post by Remmy »

I judged FCGD Cable's Aesop at a pbgf qualifier, and he put on a show. When i checked my score card, he had more tally marks than the entire winner's pack combined...
Home of:
Emerick's Shoot em up Blue Nellie
Emerick's Thicket Chirpin Cricket
Coal Hill's Queen of Hearts
Remmy
Winnie

Director Presque Isle Beagle Club

hubertsoutlaw

Post by hubertsoutlaw »

FC pinnacle hills sport, FC Huberts Tori, Mili and Angel, (Tori winning better beagling hours of the year), FC Patterson's Bullseye Also won better beagling hound of the year, Hoogs Kelly, Music FC Kada and Gator, FC Durims Lilly was flat out incredible, IFC Greenwells Reggie, IFC Steve's Shooting star was a great check dog, but did not run in front of Milk in New York Java Village. Star was absolutely the best dog, but Mili at 18 months old controlled the front., FC Brankos Free Jack, Talk about blue jasper, Louis Blue man, Tonys FC Rosco, FC Ohio's Reggie, and many more
Huberts Kennel
Former owner of FC Huberts Tori
Hubert Rockem Hard Lucy Lou, FC Huberts Riddle Run Mach One Mili, FC Huberts blazing Blue Angel, Hubert's Rockem Hard Viper

hubertsoutlaw

Post by hubertsoutlaw »

Music's Jada, cell keeps spell correcting. Lol, I need it a lot
Huberts Kennel
Hubert Rockem Hard Lucy Lou, FC Huberts Riddle Run Mach One Mili, FC Huberts blazing Blue Angel, Hubert's Rockem Hard Viper

John-PA

Post by John-PA »

You must have had your eyes closed because star was leading that pack by FAR. I had a bitch in there that got NBQ that could foot with anything and she got smoked that day. You don't have to feel bad because your dog couldn't keep up, it was just stars day.

hubertsoutlaw

Post by hubertsoutlaw »

It's not worth saying. Star was in front on checks but on drive Mili was in front. I am a real honest person. Star was by far the best dog on the ground. I watched them plenty. Beagling is so subjective. I don't even own her anymore. She finished FC and was sick fast for a female
Huberts Kennel