Best performance of a male and female that you have seen???

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Casey Harner

Best performance of a male and female that you have seen???

Post by Casey Harner »

Don't matter if its in a trial or gun hunting. Lets hear them??
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

littlewoody

Re: Best performance of a male and female that you have seen

Post by littlewoody »

On film Harry hounds put on a show from WI ! Also like deerhost hounds too !
TheJohnBirchSociety

Emma's Beagles

Post by Emma's Beagles »

Scott chaneys shining time spot dog, Casey county few years back. Bout 7 minutes left was down 125. Dog jumps a rabbit spot takes it over was checking the pack so bad that when they would catch up he would check them again. Ended up scoring 200 points and a little info I was winning the cast until that.

J.C. Blair

Post by J.C. Blair »

I was running BM Orchard Dixie for Farrell Smith and trialing her for him. Jump dog who could drive a rabbit hard.

I had her right, was at the world hunt in 2009 I think. Jake Havens judged it, open round. She had 2 strike jumps and 7 checks in the cast with the second place dog only having 75 points. Jake always still talks about that cast to this day. Bitch put on a rabbit runnin clinic. She would have went further in the hunt but caught a bad break in the 2nd round.
EAST RIDGE KENNEL
2010 Natl CH LPGRCH East Ridge Black Phantom
East Ridge The Dark Side
Weedeater Foxy
East Ridge Allie Gator
East Ridge Tomahawk

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

I watched osbornes spade put it on dogs so bad for 3 days in coal country. I was ready to kill everthing I owned. He was probaly 2yrs old. What a powerhouse on a running rabbit. Unreal
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

I was at my second Everette Morgan Classic. Went out with Joe RoseBerry and Matt Glomski. I believe every handler was nervous when they seen Glomski's Thunder Run Jdell get out of the box. I remember the dogs were down a slight hill. Jdell got the check and ran about 80-100 yards up the hill without breaking down. He literally left the pack behind, he even caught the rabbit. The weird thing is that the two judges didn't go with Jdell. They called timeout and didn't give Jdell any score on the drive. After that Jdell's fate was sealed, even though he still got a lot of checks after it. The judge even told Matt he knew Jdell got all of it.

I truly believe Jdell was beat before he got turned loose. He changed the way I looked at him. Rabbit dawg!!!
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

Joseph J Murphy

Post by Joseph J Murphy »

The first Midwest hunt I ever went to which was in stanford ky and a whole bunch of years ago, Scott Music had a female that was unreal.I don't remember her name but she was everything a rabbit dog should be .
Bring on Dream Team 3 !!!!!!

sbeagler

Post by sbeagler »

Casey Harner wrote:I was at my second Everette Morgan Classic. Went out with Joe RoseBerry and Matt Glomski. I believe every handler was nervous when they seen Glomski's Thunder Run Jdell get out of the box. I remember the dogs were down a slight hill. Jdell got the check and ran about 80-100 yards up the hill without breaking down. He literally left the pack behind, he even caught the rabbit. The weird thing is that the two judges didn't go with Jdell. They called timeout and didn't give Jdell any score on the drive. After that Jdell's fait was sealed, even though he still got a lot of checks after it. The judge even told Matt he knew Jdell got all of it.

I truly believe Jdell was beat before he got turned loose. He changed the way I looked at him. Rabbit dawg!!!
CASEY what was their excuse? I hate it when things like that happen I came to my own conclusions its one of 2 things they dont have any idea what they are doing or just plain simply a buddy judge! in BOLD letters. ARHA rules are pretty plain and simple unlike AKC they will have opions on a how a check is worked and how far a hound can reach vast contrast nationwide it seems in AKC. i seen a video of J Dell he is one them that live on the edge I had no problem with it but some are really picky. I look at the big picture some dogs can just kick butt. They are rare seen only hand full in my life that could destroy a pack of hounds and just make them look pitiful.

Lone Pine Beagles

Post by Lone Pine Beagles »

It was spring of 1999 at CMBC arha pp.
I took my LP champ Rambo to the trial.
It was the first cast and Leon took us to a large field of swale grass.
We stood on a hill and turned the dogs loose.
Rambo jumped the rabbit and locked on!
With these spring time buck rabbits he'd run check free.
He circled once through the grass and went clear across a corn stubble field.
We watched the rabbit bolt across the 80 acre field with Rambo not far behind.
The rabbit turned at the fence row and came back 50 yds north of his old line.
The funny part is the rest of the pack.
When Rambo was coming back across the corn field, the pack was just headed out.
They passed each other and kept on going! lol
Needless to say, he won.
It was an excellent demonstration of nose/speed/line control.
I still breed for "lock on" type hounds and will always remember that day.

Rambo died last Wednesday. 9-11-13
rest in peace buddy.
:angel:

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

Sorry Andy about Rambo .
TheJohnBirchSociety

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

I used to run alot in Lancaster with lewis long he actually conditioned dogs for me. I watched my Fc Junie Fc Abbie and Fc Windy ridge Daisey and Windy Ridge Polly run up hill and down hill drive hard as hell, cut and dice and just flat azz scream for about 6 hrs non stop. To this day it stands out in my mind as one of the most complete, contributing packs i have ever witnessed. After the smoke cleared and we drug em out we had to walk about a mile to get back to the truck. We agreeded there really was no clear cut winner. I left and had a hour ride home. I litterally had to drag my dogs out of the box, my god what a race. Oddly enuff the next weekend Junie finished to Fc in snow, thus sealing his fate to the haters that Trex dogs do have a better nose than they thought or expected. :nod: Thinking back 2 trex hounds finished in the top 5 that day, Dino was not going down without a fight. Mike Caudills Stars and Stripes hung tuff also guess it was just meant to be.
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

A few years back Tim Ogrady brought Butkus down for a pleasure run. I really thought I had a few pretty good hounds, they were all pretty decent dogs in all areas. Butkus had a day that any IFC could have, he was ON, jumping rabbit after rabbit. He jumped a big rabbit along the edge of a big clear cut, got in deep to do it. Dogs fell in with him, they drove it out along the edge of a cut field. Rabbit ran about 100yards up the edge of the cut and made a 90 degree to the right. Butkus came out leading all 6 dogs, most 15 inch and drove that rabbit down the edge like he was site chasing it, he(and only he) made the 90 degree as the others blew by him. He was 30 yards deep in the cut before the other 5 even made it back to the point of loss.

May not have impressed everyone, but sure as heck did me. I sold all the hounds i had that day as I was angry at the quality they were. I then went out to take my group of hounds to another level. Sometimes you got to get your guts stomped in to see the light....LOL. Changed forever what I will take to the field. Gotta see better to know you have average. Been there and done that.... :D

KanesIrish

Post by KanesIrish »

I remember checks, I've seen plenty of great start to finish performances but they all mush together for me, I can remember watching several checks, that have stuck in my brain...

In 2000, I had the honor of judging the 15" male class at the AKC National Large Pack Championship...to this point I had the #9 hound winning the trial, but we came to a point where the run had seemingly ended and only two dogs had stayed anywhere near the check, they were grubbing and grubbing like they were going to get it up. It had been about 10 minutes since the hare had gone through, and it wasn't even through the hare had hit the trail and ran right to the gallery going through several spectators...it looked like this run was dead in the water. They grubbed and grubbed, we finally told the people waiting that they could go through, we started walking towards where they saw the hare go in and the two males were working that way as well, after about 15 minutes with no run, the number 9 dog turned it into the Christmas trees open up and got it back up and rolling: NLPC IFC Speedy Sport and Fld Wnr Happy Run Scooter's Al

In 2001, I judged a big male class with Billy White at Northampton Russell Beagle Club on Easter Sunday, it wasn't a big class, maybe mid 20's, lot of talent and we didn't stop running. I had a beautiful mark line the hare came out, saw me and turned down a logging road as far as I could see at the intersection of a path. At this point the high dog in my book was a big black and white big male who would turn out to be FC Northway Billy Jack, Billy went straight across and took about 8 dogs with him, a lemon and white male turned left and went down the hill, never missing the beat, while several others kept following the overrun. From that point on the lemon and white dog never looked back and ended up winning the trial: IFC J'N'K's Shakin Shep

In 2002, I took an older dog to a club that I once belonged to, for an SPO trial, I had him in okay shape and wanted to see how he would fair against the SPO dogs in the area. He dominated his first series pack from the inside and they called him back for winners pack. In winners pack he was getting destroyed for the first 10 minutes and I figured I should just put my leash on him and go home, and while I was following the judges the first 6 hounds had gone off one way, where the old man who was running last in the pack had gone in opposite direction and was on it, chopping away...it didn't take long for those other 6 dogs to come off whatever they were doing and file right back into him. One judge yelled to the other one, "their ain't no rabbit there, this dog cut them all". He turned it on for the rest of winners pack and ended up taking a close second that day: FC Great Bear Woody

In 2003, I took 2 bitches to Berkshire Beagle Club's SPO-H trial, it was a class of 47 big bitches. Some how I had both of them back in the winners pack. One was a younger bitch, the other one, this would be her last trial. The judges took a 9 dog winners pack down to six, the hare had came out, saw the gallery and ran down the path in the opposite direction, right down the middle of the path for maybe 75-80 yards and cut in to the same block he had came out of. The 6 dogs all came out and were all getting scent but couldn't couldn't open, except for my younger bitch...she had a keen sense if she saw a happy dog she knew to go and see if she could get it, and that she did. One dog's tail was going a mile a minute and my bitch went over to check it, she opened a huge bawl, and then started walking, big bawl after big bawl, nobody else could tell you the hare was there, she got to the spot to where the hare went in and my older bitch opened. I got a lot of pats on the back for that one, I couldn't stop smiling from ear to ear. They went another circle, picked up my older bitch and ended the trial. I got to my truck and there was a note underneath the wiper from Vic Costanza (who had given her to me at 8 months old) underneath the wiper "you got this Rob, your dogs look great". She got 2nd: FC Maravic's Irish Kimba...this dog gave me a lot of memorable checks, the day she finished she made her living by running through the pack to show them where the rabbit went, but that check at Berkshire could have been THE BEST check one of my dogs ever pulled.

In 2007, I made a weekend at the NEBGF Championship. After my two males got pulled I sat down at the truck and had few beers, they called off winners pack in the big males so I decided to load my pockets up with Kyle Pangrazio and go check out what the judges had selected. The dogs went around and around and one dog was kicking ass and taking names, but they came to one check, the rabbit had came out to a dirt road and ran right down the road. It was HOT and it was DRY. How dry was it? When the rabbit ran down the road he had left a trail of dust in the air...it was bad. There was maybe 7 dogs left, a few over ran which created even more of dust cloud: picture it hot, dry, the sun is going down and you're overlooking the Susquehanna River, it was pretty awesome sight. This small-big male, all black came out with his chop and setup, and took the 90 right down the road without any help. They made another circle and they picked that black male up, but it didn't stop me from going and asking all sorts of question about the dog to the owner: FC Northside's Rowdy Rebel

The last one:

2010, I had the honor of judging the AKC SPO National Championships, the 15" Bitch class with Lynn Hutson. We called back 8 bitches for winners pack that were casted at 6:30 in the morning. They POUNDED. We pretty much had our winner set when we got down to three and all of a sudden the dogs checked up, it appeared our winning dog had run us out of rabbit. Then all of a sudden she set up and started working the line back, I looked at Lynn like what the F is this bitch doing, the other two wimpered along with her but couldn't give it strong enough tongue, she turned in right, where we had came out left and the other two poured it on, we called field trial, truly a classic way to end a national championship with a text book double: NSPC FC Lewis's Tuff-E-Nuff IVy

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

BCBeagles wrote:A few years back Tim Ogrady brought Butkus down for a pleasure run. I really thought I had a few pretty good hounds, they were all pretty decent dogs in all areas. Butkus had a day that any IFC could have, he was ON, jumping rabbit after rabbit. He jumped a big rabbit along the edge of a big clear cut, got in deep to do it. Dogs fell in with him, they drove it out along the edge of a cut field. Rabbit ran about 100yards up the edge of the cut and made a 90 degree to the right. Butkus came out leading all 6 dogs, most 15 inch and drove that rabbit down the edge like he was site chasing it, he(and only he) made the 90 degree as the others blew by him. He was 30 yards deep in the cut before the other 5 even made it back to the point of loss.

May not have impressed everyone, but sure as heck did me. I sold all the hounds i had that day as I was angry at the quality they were. I then went out to take my group of hounds to another level. Sometimes you got to get your guts stomped in to see the light....LOL. Changed forever what I will take to the field. Gotta see better to know you have average. Been there and done that.... :D
Great story ! ;)
TheJohnBirchSociety

J.C. Blair

Post by J.C. Blair »

I remember judging a cast at the 2009 Grand Nationals with Chad Gray & Jim McGuire. We were runnin in a really thick grown up holler. There was some really hard hitting dogs in the cast. After the first rabbit we had some score but nothin to write home about. When on the second jumped rabbit, a female named Big Meadows Breezy came out of no where, and absolutely destroyed the rest of the pack, and I mean destroyed them. I remember while running over the dogs, Chad would look at me and say, "this dam blue collar dog is killin them!" LOL....they ran that rabbit for the rest of the cast and caught him with only a minute or two to go. I think Breezy produced the male that won the opens in the World hunt this year in LP too. Super nice female
EAST RIDGE KENNEL
2010 Natl CH LPGRCH East Ridge Black Phantom
East Ridge The Dark Side
Weedeater Foxy
East Ridge Allie Gator
East Ridge Tomahawk