Best performance of a male and female that you have seen???

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Casey Harner

Re: Best performance of a male and female that you have seen

Post by Casey Harner »

I still remember handling Christopher's Dora dog that Glomski owns at the 2011 coal mine classic. Before the trial even started Matt told me Dora hasn't been out of the kennel since April, the trial is held in October. Well she made the winners pack over Earl Rice and the other was a judge from Illinois last name Hall. I figured since Dora hasn't been condition and approaching eight years old she would run out of gas. Nope she ran true as the day is long.. Right before the two judges called field trial, the rabbit came out and turned on a hard 90. The rest of the pack over ran and went over the coal road, while Dora turned it and ran straight down the track, running parallel to the gravel road. The old bitch won it. Six months being cooped up in the kennel, that didn't phase her at all. That's what we call BAOTB. The dog who placed second was Nipper owned by Neil Kimbrel at the time. Glomski's Little Skipper X Christopher's Dora.

I think later on at the coal mine challenge she also placed second. She could have turned 9 by then.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

Lil.Bredemeier

Post by Lil.Bredemeier »

J.C. Blair wrote:I was running BM Orchard Dixie for Farrell Smith and trialing her for him. Jump dog who could drive a rabbit hard.

I had her right, was at the world hunt in 2009 I think. Jake Havens judged it, open round. She had 2 strike jumps and 7 checks in the cast with the second place dog only having 75 points. Jake always still talks about that cast to this day. Bitch put on a rabbit runnin clinic. She would have went further in the hunt but caught a bad break in the 2nd round.

Lol..man that bitch was awesome.
FCGD Lprch pprch GLOMSKI'S BIG TIME
LpGrch GLOMSKI'S CRIMSON FLAME

John-PA

Post by John-PA »

It was at Java Village SPO-H big bitch class. IFC Steve's Shooting Star was running 50 yards ahead of the pack and making turns that you wouldn't believe. She was running the hare so hard that it would turn into a sight chase and when the hare would hit the cover again she wouldn't miss a beat. Just put her head down and keep rollin'. Judges were Wayne Heckley and Carmen Nardolillo. The 2nd place dog finished FC Hickory Ridge Trixie II. The 3rd place dog finished as well, FC Hubert's Riddle Run Mach One Milli. The 4th place dog died really young with I think 2 wins. The NBQ dog has 2 wins and 80 points. There was a lot of good competition there that day and Star made them look terrible.

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

Good read John..........Thanks for sharing. I saw Adirondack Mountain Kiia run a few years back at Neversink. She ran exactly as you described Star. Way a head and making turns with dogs behind her stuggling to keep up. Nose down and seldom breaking down. We thought she was running a deer in the begining of the trial untell the hare came running by us.....DH

mtnwaykennel

Post by mtnwaykennel »

Female is a easy one to remember. We took Tim Lamie's little 13 inch bitch Holly to our first ARHA trial in tazwell va . After the 15 inch+ guys laughed a little and made fun of this old little girl, the laughs got quiet. She put on a show that I have not seen out of her in a long time. She was rolling those big hounds!! Amazing thing to watch. That little bitch could jump a rabbit in a parking lot and had the heart the size of a wolf.

Male was Jarrods blue dog. Name is slipping my mind right now. Champion class I was judgeing in Saltville. That dog put on an amazing show. I had never seen a dog dominate like that dog did!
Mr. Wilson was the dogs name I think. I was just floored with what that dog could do. I was just impressed.

Had to edit this... best hands down non trial I have ever seen is Reffett's hustler dog. Went and ran with him one day up on the strips, and man I tell you what that dog was amazing. He has something you seldom see. Brains, speed, nose and more speed. He was amazing. This was before he ever trialed him and I told him he had something special there. He looked and me, smiled and said "I have never seen anything like him". And that my friends is a massive statement from Dexter.
276-698-0775. Holla at me!
We still doin' it the MtnWay!

Welshman

Post by Welshman »

Anybody feel like adding to this?

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

Glomski's Country Boy June. Total package, died to young
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

HBmudbug

Post by HBmudbug »

I have run a lot of dogs and have run for many years. The best dog I have ever ran or watched run is Bad Boy Rondo. Some of you guys may have dogs that have beat him,they all have their days, but I have run rondo in all kinds of weather and with all kinds of dogs. he is by far the best I have seen.

Rabbit/Hareman123

Post by Rabbit/Hareman123 »

Workmans Robin,she had all the tools, jump dog deluxe, hunt on the run ,head always held high, she ran and hunted like a bird dog, always 5-10 yards ahead of the pack.

Welshman

Post by Welshman »

Best male was my old dog Max. I have never trialed so have never had the opportunity to see the dogs most have. But back in northeast Ohio in the early 70's we had plenty of quail, pheasant and rabbits. The rabbit population has been on the upswing so that is good but the quail and pheasants are pretty much gone. To many winters of deep snow, coyotes, feral cats, reduction of habitat and efficiency of harvesting equipment by farmers have all contributed. I was so lucky to get to experience this era of hunting. When you went out you were never sure what you would come home with and the times of the quail and pheasant flushing from under your feet and then 50 feet away jump shooting a cottontail was the best.
The dogs would track the birds if they didn't flush right of way. If you knew your dog you could tell by his actions when he was on a bird. My dog Max's bark would change and he would run the track a little quicker. Maybe not Kentucky fast but when you ran him as much as I did you could tell. One sunny December afternoon he started opening and I could tell it was a bird. He worked that track through the briars and swale grass for at least a 100 yards and the old cock bird flushed I had stayed up with him and was ready to knock that one down. Old Max kept going. He pushed a second cock bird another 50 yards or so and I was lucky enough to knock him down also. Old Max could get'r done.

Best female was one I currently own. Butternut Stinker, I call her Ginger. She is out of Henry's Hunter X Grunewalds Chase. I bought her from Mr. Dick Frank and she is littermate to his Nr FC Butternut Bella dog. One afternoon in early November had this female out with another young dog and they were just stroking the bunnies. One run had them come down the old shale hill through the sticks and briars and out came the bunny into the picked soy bean field. The rabbit ran down the edge for a ways then hung a left back into the cover. The younger dog came out into the picked field in the front. She did good, figured out which way the rabbit turned and was bringing it down the edge. Ginger wasn't far behind. The young dog missed the turn but not Ginger. She snapped that left turn without missing a beat. Like a West Virginia boy driving past an Adult Theater. Didn't even hit the brakes. She impressed me that day.
Please take all my analogies in jest. Best of running to all!

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Got to watch Durham's Lilly get her third win at Jessamine County Beagle Club in Kentucky.She led that winner's pack all around the grounds.Pretty impressive as she ran like she was hitched to it. Feb. 20009.
Got to see Don Hoog's Talkabout Dottie get the win at Lake Conway Beagle Club in Arkansas. Nov.2007.Very impressive that day and also was the 2007 Large Pack on Hare winner.
At the 2003 Large Pack Nationals at the Spacetown Beagle Club in New Hampshire I watched Branko's One Tuff Ombre' put on an impressive performance.Super dry,late fall conditions,big entry of 15" males and very little game in the enclosure.Ombre' was able to stay on his game and move it when most others were struggling.Ombre' had placed 2'nd at this event as a 2 year old,won it as a three year old and then won it again the year I watched him.Pretty impressive performance.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

fastone

Post by fastone »

I witnessed FCGD THOMPSONS TRY MY PATIENCE dominate a winners pack of 13 in females at White Water a few years back,not the only time.
Last edited by fastone on Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rabbit Ridge Kennels,home of
RABBIT RIDGE Penny
RABBIT RIDGE Zoey
King Ralph's Dolly

We feed and recommend VICTOR feed.
http://rabbitridgekennels.webs.com/

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

I have seen Mt St. Blue Bud do some special type running....not just one time though.... :D

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

I would have to say,The last pack of 4 female coming off of wright line ozzie. I raised these dogs and they all die at the age 13 an 14 never ran nothing but a rabbit an around 80 percent on a rabbit.. One of the best pack of dog I ever seen in 36 years of hunting. These dogs teach me alot in life about rabbit hunting. There something eles than running a rabbit. I ve always said it. the best dogs out there is the person that is happy with what he or she has.

Eva's Beagles

Post by Eva's Beagles »

I judged a 15" class at a "trial of champions", field trial some years ago at Blue Water Beagle Club in Capac Michigan. I was quite star struck at the FC's I was judging. Just gonna say there were some big names at the time there. There was a blue tick female by the name of "FC Hasenpfeffer with Pepper" there. Once we got down to the winner's pack she put on a display. She didn't have a check area bigger than 5 ft. Some of the other dogs, most were 15" males, ended up just watching her work out the hard checks. She never stopped working. She was not the fastest dog that day, but it wasn't the greatest conditions, although she wasn't slow by no means, it wasn't gonna be the fastest dog winning that day. She picked 90% of the checks and never looked back. She would get it and go, the big males would pass her and blow it up, (although none of them were very far out of the check area), and she would just wade right through them, pick it cleanly and keep right on going. She beat them handily that day. I was thoroughly impressed with her.
Eva's Beagles