Barking in Kennel

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Jbfous01

Barking in Kennel

Post by Jbfous01 »

Will using a bark collar to stop kennel barking affect a hound on the trail. I have a 1 year old that's driving me crazy but I don't want him afraid to bark on a rabbit.

Briarhoppers

Re: Barking in Kennel

Post by Briarhoppers »

Forget bark collars....I have had great success w/ a water hose. Soak them while yelling no! Chase them to their dog house and drown them.....way over do it. If they don't catch on after about 3 treatments get rid of the dog. Dogs need to learn what is allowed and not allowed...and they should want to please you.

If the dog is all by himself in the kennel you may want to get him a buddy - beagles like to be with other dogs.

-Pete
PUCKETT CREEK RABBIT HOUNDS
http://our-southern-roots.com/

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

I use pipe insulating foam as my tool for "correcting them" it makes a louder noise and scares them but doesnt physically hurt them.

They quickly learn when I yell enough to head for the box... LOL

Rcoff

Post by Rcoff »

I use a rolled up news paper. Makes a lot of noise, doesn't hurt them a bit, gruffly telling them shush it up repeatedly. A few sessions of that they know you mean business, be consistant with it, don't punish one day for it then let them get away with it the next. If they bark at nothing in the future, just call their name and gruffly say shush it up! Has always worked for me. Of course if they are barking at something, ex. Intruder, I allow that. I have not had a no bark collar keep them from opening in the wild. Sometimes they will hesitate on giving tongue on track, but after a couple of times out they will figure out the difference.
Thanks,
Bob
:loser: Coffmans Dougie Macrae at Stud (HOF Happyrun Calico Clem)
Coffmans Rabbit Ridge Hit Man (IFC Kickaz X South Woods Marley)

tom summers

Post by tom summers »

hose works great but you must go to kennel to correct them when they see you coming they know one of them is is trouble. I use my shock collar i put it on them and when they bark the slightest they get buzzed. works real well at night i hang transmitter on bed post and use as needed without geting out of bed. This usually works with a couple times , it is like busting them off deer they dont associate correction with you because you are not yelling.
Good luck , Tom
p.s. they must be corrected everytime zero tolerance cannot be ok now & then

carl arn

Post by carl arn »

i use a bark collar have never had a problem with them not barking on a trail even with a shock collar on

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

If we don't want backtrackers, we don't breed backtrackers, If we don't want swinging, hooking, over-running hounds we don't breed this type, If we don't want crooked legged, sway backed hounds we don't breed this type, what should we do If we don't want Kennel Barkers ???

big creek kennel

Post by big creek kennel »

TRI TRONIC SHOCKING COLLARS THE SURE WAY TO CONTROL BARKING