Sometimes it hits.

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Sometimes it hits.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

Years ago I met Joe Murphy. He was a rough old man that always spoke his mind. Nothing wrong with that. Years passed and many a hound and hunt. Out of the blue joe sends word he has a bitch he wants to bred to junie. I was pretty exicted to say the least. There she was a beautiful bitch called Sandmans Dream Catcher. Word got to me she was a little loose in the ck area. They left her with me and I bred her. I looked at that ped at least a dozen times. I thought it would be a flush oout. Ky state was coming so I had a ample amount of time to get her Valley ready. After basically dragging her azz for a few weeks. She started to come on. Never forget I dropped her down for 6 straight days of ruthless running. She showed herself as well as anything I ever owned. That litter has produced some kick ass hounds
Another win this weekend in the grands. Wow took his mom in with him think about it. Sire and dam hof now 2 pups in hof from same litter. Joe old friend ya seen something I missed and I am so glad you did. Rest in Peace ol friend till we met again.
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

BCBeagles

Re: Sometimes it hits.

Post by BCBeagles »

Congrats on the accomplishments with your hounds!!

Murphy's Kennel

Post by Murphy's Kennel »

The beagle gods definately has blessed this cross! :D
HOF Murphy`s Dreaming Demon Gr.R.Ch Gr.B.Ch Triple X's Tango

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

Great story ! ;)
TheJohnBirchSociety

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

Is that an inbred cross or extreme outcross producing such a consistent litter....I heard you could only get consistency by inbreeding. Multiple great dogs out of outcross has defied all conventional wisdom. None the less its reassuring that I'm not chasing a pipe dream or am I?
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

mybeagles wrote:Is that an inbred cross or extreme outcross producing such a consistent litter....I heard you could only get consistency by inbreeding. Multiple great dogs out of outcross has defied all conventional wisdom. None the less its reassuring that I'm not chasing a pipe dream or am I?
Well its actually a inbred Male bred to a total outcross, at some point somebody has to build a foundation right? I aint really sure about my thoughts in breeding however when crossing dogs i always try and set myself up for traits i desire for generations to come, whether it be thru the male or female. Example as of late we now pocess a young male from Osbornes Spade and Junie. Looking at his pedigree most would cringe, i can only smile. Will he be the greatest? Dunno but ultimatley he is going to be very useful for years to come for several that stay pretty close in our circle. I really dont want this post into a pizzer just merley thinking out loud about daze gone by. And btw when you seem to have a dog bred as junie is it will make a more potent cross when looking at breeding outcrosses. Being honest producing a dog as good as mom and dad is not what i choose to achieve i am trying to ultimatley come up with a dog that draws a crowd. Or at least at a trial. There is alot more reggies greenbays ninjas and the other greats to make. It just seem to many people are pulling the breeding trigger on crosses that there buddy seen run years ago. As you very well know as a judge the proof is in the pudding or sperm which ever ya choose. Run em till they melt.
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

Joseph J Murphy

Post by Joseph J Murphy »

It was fun to watch .Laura has him running with the power of a Junie dog and the line control of the old Sandman dog.When I sent him to her he was grossly overweight. She has taken most of that off.I look forward to seeing what else he does this trailing season.
Joseph J Murphy
Bring on Dream Team 3 !!!!!!

Nurse Laura

Post by Nurse Laura »

About 4 years ago Granddad (Joe) Murphy and my relationship took a turn for what I would say the much better. The day Granddad contacted us about putting Dream in our kennel was the pivotal point of our relationship. We set for quite some time at his kitchen table talking about dogs and mainly listening to him relive a time in his life that had pasted due to his age and health. I enjoyed walking through his home and him pointing to each trophy, ribbon and plaque and hearing the story about which hound that earned that particular award. He impacted me the most when he grabbed his oxygen hose and told me "this crazy thing keeps me from getting to run my dogs, as much as I want to" Being a nurse I understand the clinical side of the illness but being a person I tore me up that he was bound by a 4 foot clear nasal canula to a tank he had to pack around. I realized during the trip down memory lane that he put as much pride in his later years to the accomplishments in the show as he did the field from his younger houndsmen stories. I figured it was because he physically could participate in the show verses what he could do himself in the field. Over the next several years I would call Granddad when I was out running dogs and he would listen into chase over the phone. He would recall several hounds he had owned and enjoyed watching run over the years and tell stories of how they grew and developed and he would speculate on future cross.
I started gathering up certificates of accomplishments on the pups out of Dreams first litter attempting to put her and Granddad into the Hall Of Fame. December rolled around with her needing only 1 point to enter the Reproducer HOF. During this same time I called Granddad and talked to him about Miles - he needed 14 points to make the HOF and he knew that he could do it but Granddad knew he could not give him the opportunity to try because of his health. Granddad was extremely attached to Miles and very proud of the accomplishments of the entire litter. As Granddad and I talked about possibilities of his bloodline we wondered how many of this cross would be inducted to the HOF. Granddad said "well if there is a hound that can go this cross sure will give them a run for it". He was very confident in the hounds of this litter in the field and the show. I offered to give Miles the opportunity to see as many trials as possible thinking this was such a long shot because he just did not let Miles out of his site for long. Granddad called me several times that night talking about the possibilities and he was excited for Miles to get out of the kennel and in the field. I promised Granddad I would run his hound and get him into the HOF.
Over the next several months the phone called continued so Granddad could listen to Miles run and as Granddad health declined we kept putting Miles in the trials attempting to make the HOF accomplishment while Granddad was with us. I would video the dogs running and upload them to You-tube so Jay could down load them for Granddad to watch while he lay in the hospital during his final weeks here with us. When the end grew closer, we sent Miles and his trophies from MO, KY, OK, AR & IL hunts to be with Granddad. Granddad's goal was to get strong enough to go out to just pat Miles.
This past weekend was a very emotional weekend for me. Miles won 2013 Grand National Bench and Grand Nationals Field giving him the points to enter the HOF and this win also gave his momma Dream the one point needed to put her in the Reproducer HOF. I missed my goal of doing this by a couple of months but I felt Granddad presence this weekend in ways that words cannot describe. I know that Granddad ran Miles this weekend and that all I did was unhook the leash. RIP Granddad - you will never be forgotten!!!

Chimney Rock Kennel

Post by Chimney Rock Kennel »

Awesome story and congrats on all the accomplishments.
Home of

NrFC LPGRCH Chimney Rock's Bad Moon Rising
FCGD LPRCH Chimney Rock's KY Lucky
NrFC LPGRCH Chimney Rock's Shooting Star

CGS KENNEL SHAWN

Post by CGS KENNEL SHAWN »

Its not an easy road to make it to the HOF but with all the history behind the dog and owner/owners it makes for a really good story. Happy for you and the dog. Congrats

P.S. the elevator did move only one time lol !!!!!!!!
S&S KENNEL SHAWN
2013 Spring National Winner GRCH CGS To Hot Too Molly
LP RCH BAD HABIT
LP RCH Sadie Mae

Nurse Laura

Post by Nurse Laura »

CGS KENNEL SHAWN wrote:Its not an easy road to make it to the HOF but with all the history behind the dog and owner/owners it makes for a really good story. Happy for you and the dog. Congrats

P.S. the elevator did move only one time lol !!!!!!!!
Thanks Tiny and I appreciate you going to watch the finals cast with us. I was a nervous wreck until the end. AND PS the elevator did move when you got in....heee heee

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

Nurse Laura wrote:About 4 years ago Granddad (Joe) Murphy and my relationship took a turn for what I would say the much better. The day Granddad contacted us about putting Dream in our kennel was the pivotal point of our relationship. We set for quite some time at his kitchen table talking about dogs and mainly listening to him relive a time in his life that had pasted due to his age and health. I enjoyed walking through his home and him pointing to each trophy, ribbon and plaque and hearing the story about which hound that earned that particular award. He impacted me the most when he grabbed his oxygen hose and told me "this crazy thing keeps me from getting to run my dogs, as much as I want to" Being a nurse I understand the clinical side of the illness but being a person I tore me up that he was bound by a 4 foot clear nasal canula to a tank he had to pack around. I realized during the trip down memory lane that he put as much pride in his later years to the accomplishments in the show as he did the field from his younger houndsmen stories. I figured it was because he physically could participate in the show verses what he could do himself in the field. Over the next several years I would call Granddad when I was out running dogs and he would listen into chase over the phone. He would recall several hounds he had owned and enjoyed watching run over the years and tell stories of how they grew and developed and he would speculate on future cross.
I started gathering up certificates of accomplishments on the pups out of Dreams first litter attempting to put her and Granddad into the Hall Of Fame. December rolled around with her needing only 1 point to enter the Reproducer HOF. During this same time I called Granddad and talked to him about Miles - he needed 14 points to make the HOF and he knew that he could do it but Granddad knew he could not give him the opportunity to try because of his health. Granddad was extremely attached to Miles and very proud of the accomplishments of the entire litter. As Granddad and I talked about possibilities of his bloodline we wEondered how many of this cross would be inducted to the HOF. Granddad said "well if there is a hound that can go this cross sure will give them a run for it". He was very confident in the hounds of this litter in the field and the show. I offered to give Miles the opportunity to see as many trials as possible thinking this was such a long shot because he just did not let Miles out of his site for long. Granddad called me several times that night talking about the possibilities and he was excited for Miles to get out of the kennel and in the field. I promised Granddad I would run his hound and get him into the HOF.
Over the next several months the phone called continued so Granddad could listen to Miles run and as Granddad health declined we kept putting Miles in the trials attempting to make the HOF accomplishment while Granddad was with us. I would video the dogs running and upload them to You-tube so Jay could down load them for Granddad to watch while he lay in the hospital during his final weeks here with us. When the end grew closer, we sent Miles and his trophies from MO, KY, OK, AR & IL hunts to be with Granddad. Granddad's goal was to get strong enough to go out to just pat Miles.
This past weekend was a very emotional weekend for me. Miles won 2013 Grand National Bench and Grand Nationals Field giving him the points to enter the HOF and this win also gave his momma Dream the one point needed to put her in the Reproducer HOF. I missed my goal of doing this by a couple of months but I felt Granddad presence this weekend in ways that words cannot describe. I know that Granddad ran Miles this weekend and that all I did was unhook the leash. RIP Granddad - you will never be forgotten!!!
That was a beautiful story you wrote it so well I thought I was reading a book . Thanks for sharing !
TheJohnBirchSociety

bunnytracks

Post by bunnytracks »

Chimney Rock Kennel wrote:Awesome story and congrats on all the accomplishments.
I agree

Bobby Vest

Post by Bobby Vest »

I have no doubt there will be some more from that litter that will make HOF. It was the best cross I have ever seen.

Lee Cockman

Post by Lee Cockman »

Great Story and Congrads!
C&F Cottontail Kennels

C&F's Cinnamon Run RedBug
C&F's Talkabout TBO