Puppy Booster - Dog Probiotic Powder

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Laneline

Puppy Booster - Dog Probiotic Powder

Post by Laneline »

For those that may be raising pups… a friend/Veterinarian shared with me concerning “Puppy Booster - Dog Probiotic Powder”.

It is a boost to the immune system, combats "Nervous coccidiosis", Giardia and helps counteract the side effects of antibiotics, vaccination shots, antifungals and wormers when given to pups.

I have talked to 3 others that have used it religiously {in 2 other breeds besides beagles}, and all I have heard was great praise of it. They said it is changing how breeders raise pups… period, and the difference in pups is night and day and they don’t know how they ever did without it.

I believe it s around $25.00 for 5 lbs {comes in a powder}.

Just thought I would share… Jim
"Heaven goes by favor; if it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in." - Mark Twain

mooredog

Re: Puppy Booster - Dog Probiotic Powder

Post by mooredog »

Thanks Jim ! Who makes it ?
Paul Moore
http://www.moorebeagles.com
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Laneline

Post by Laneline »

mooredog wrote:Thanks Jim ! Who makes it ?
It is easy to use, mix 1 tablespoon with 1 gallon water or sprinkle 1 teaspoon over food every 3 days. It states it has a source of live (viable) naturally occurring micro-organisms.

Pet Smart sells it for $30.00, here is a link to it and a description of it: http://www.petsupplies4less.com/Puppy-B ... _2515.html
"Heaven goes by favor; if it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in." - Mark Twain

bfoster

Post by bfoster »

Jim,
I'm with ya on this one. I'm on my second litter using a Probiotic Powder. I came up with the same basic theory, but didn't find it in the pet section. Had to adjust the dosage, but I'm a fan so far. Here's what I'm using.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/g ... power-1-lb

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Good information!!

I also use Nupro, a supplement to aid in many issues, pups are strong and healthy with tremendous muscle tone on this.
I have had great success with it and in lactating females.

Quality stuff!

bfoster

Post by bfoster »

Here’s my system for pups in case it helps anyone.

Disclaimer: I am not a vet and I do not recommend you do what I do without first consulting your vet. What works for one individual is not guaranteed to work for another.

I used to start feeding the bitch puppy food a couple weeks before her do date, but now I feed this to all my dogs all the time. I keep it in a self-feeder along with fresh water.

I give Milkade to the bitch as directed

After the Milkade I begin daily giving the bitch a Calcium Vitamin

Once the pups are active and weaning can begin. I start with a puppy milk replacement in a pan with some dry dog food tossed in. I follow that with 2nd step until it’s all gone and the pups are eating straight dry dog feed from the self-feeder. I add Muscle-Up and Probiotic Power when I mix the milk replacement.

This is also the time when I put the bolts in my self-feeder door and change out the water bucket for a low profile small bucket. The reason for this is pups will get into the self-feeder and the door will shut behind them leaving them trapped inside. Trust me it will happen over and over again. You don’t want to lose a pup because of this. You might want to just remove the self-feeder and go with a daily feed bowl instead. I like the self-feeder over the feed bowl because pups will try to crawl in and sleep in a bowl knocking out and causing good feed to be wasted. I also want them to always have feed available when they want it. I change the water bucket out because of this same trapped inside problem. If they can’t get out then they’ll die inside. Don’t wait and have to learn this the hard way.

Best of Luck to you!