beagle question

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

new kid on the block

beagle question

Post by new kid on the block »

all the power house beagles that are consider great show any kind of unique traits as a pup. Or was it just a lucky draw?

heus

Re: beagle question

Post by heus »

Thats a great question. I'd like to know as well.
Running beagles off and on for 30 years.

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

It's a gamble with a pup which way it will go .
TheJohnBirchSociety

les guynn

Post by les guynn »

LUCK AND GOOD JUDGEING

HatterasBob

Post by HatterasBob »

The ability to wind a rabbit like a bird dog from about 10 feet away. That my friends is how you get an outstanding jump dog, the kind no hunter would ever sell.

Newt

Post by Newt »

new kid on the block wrote:all the power house beagles that are consider great show any kind of unique traits as a pup. Or was it just a lucky draw?
I was told of a dog that sold for $50.00 at a flea market that was then entered in trials. He eventually made Grand Champion. Was he gifted? His non trialing owner didn't think so. Maybe its the Trial that makes the dog great?

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

I have been told from the old men at the store.there all gone now.This is what they said.If you had pups born and everything is female but one male.you make sure you keep the male.That will be one hell of a dog.I never done it I like females.

hatterofbob.that is very true.I ve never had but one and hunting over another one.Man I would love to have one now.I ask this on another board and could not believe the people that said.If its not AKC reg I would not have it.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

The very good ones I have seen and raised all showed flashes of the greatness early on. Of course they were pups, but just did show that something extra, ex. Toughness, grit, heart(a big one for me!), checking ability, drive or desire, common sense(in dog terms), just overall skill set.

This is what I enjoy looking for. Many wont have them all, in fact most don't.

Always evaluating to replace the stellar ones. Continuos search for me, but I enjoy it...

steveh

Post by steveh »

rabbitearl, My last litter was 9 males and 1 female. Let me tell you, I have never had a pup like this female and to start on her own as early as she did. I am hoping she is going to be one of "the ones" I am blessed with in my lifetime.

as far as picking out a pup, the ones you don't want are easier to see than the ones you do. And then its a crap shoot after that.

Keith C.

Post by Keith C. »

rabbitearl wrote:I have been told from the old men at the store.there all gone now.This is what they said.If you had pups born and everything is female but one male.you make sure you keep the male.That will be one hell of a dog.I never done it I like females.

hatterofbob.that is very true.I ve never had but one and hunting over another one.Man I would love to have one now.I ask this on another board and could not believe the people that said.If its not AKC reg I would not have it.

Rabbitearl, I had 3 litters this year with 4 females and 1 male. Did you see the males from litters like that excel?

Keith

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

Never done it keith.Never was a big breeder.I just here the old timers talk about this.I kept all females.I did notice a male pup one time would hide his food then come back and eat.They say he was and outstanding rabbit dog.