what extras do you bring along at the trial?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

ant

what extras do you bring along at the trial?

Post by ant »

i am trying to get together a "field trial tackle box"

what do you guys bring?

so far it consists of:
1. 25 gal. rubbermaid tub/lid as my tackle box
2. extra lead and collar with name tag.
3. 2 gal. h2o.
4. dog bowl
5. coffie can of dry food
6. 32 oz gatorade for the dog
7.gloves,boots,rain gear.

anything else?

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

ant,
I would add a tie out chain so you don't tie your dog to your bumper and forget and drive off. A dry water resistant shirt, one long sleeve and one short by Columbia with the air netting on the sides. Crackers and some vienna's for myself and some hot dog buns to give your dogs a half of one each after each run.
A pair of lightly tented safety glasses for the protection of your eyes if you have to go in the thick stuff. Bug spray and a first aid kit for humans and one for dogs.

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

Field paper. Never leave home without it------unless of course, you don't mind wearing 3/4 of a shirt. :oops:

TonyT

Post by TonyT »

Bev you country girl you . You think of everything sounds like someone has been in that situation b4 poor Ralph

Jeffrey Mehring

Extras

Post by Jeffrey Mehring »

I bring along a bottle of eyewash. You can get this at drug stores and a small bottle lasts along time. Also wire cutters, like a leatherman tool. I had a dog really get hung up in a fence at a trial, and being able to cut the wire in a big hurry prevented him from being permanently crippled.

DarrinG

Post by DarrinG »

Bev, LOL! "Field paper"?? Is that the same as "striking paper"???,,,LOL!!! and you would slice up a good shirt for that??? :D :D

Reminds me of a turkey hunt I went on once with a friend. We were walking along a logging road when suddenly he handed me his shotgun and said he'd be back real quick and he jumped over the bank out of sight. I could tell by his, ummm, walking stance that nature was calling and calling fast. In several minutes he emerged from over the bank and was walking like he was standing on needles. I asked him what was wrong and then noticed his boots were untied. He stated "Could not find any broad-leaf bushes close by so I had to just "go" right there, and nothing to use to, ummmm, clean up with, I took off my socks and used them!" I rolled laughing almost in tears. Needless to say by the time our hunt was over and we had walked several miles back to the truck, he had blisters on his feet.
+++
He's coming....are you ready?

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

LOL!!! I've heard of guys coming back with ONE sock. He should have flipped it inside-out, used it again, then he would only have one foot with blisters, lol! Did you hear about the guy who didn't have field paper and was whining to his hunting buddy so his buddy told him to just use a dollar? Well he did, and when he came back with "it" all over his hands, his buddy said "What happened, didn't you use a dollar like I said?" The guy said "Yeah, but it's kinda hard to do with three quarters, two dimes and a nickle!" :roll:

Jeffrey, eyewash is a definite. I go so far as to bring topical antibiotic cream for skin injuries, oral antibiotics and Rimadyl for pain relief.

I suppose everyone should have a snakebite kit but definitely those folks in the south who run dogs or trial during the warm "snakey" months. I try to avoid running dogs in the southern states during summer because of snakes. Now Alabama John, before you and the other southern folks start in on me about being a wimp, bear in mind if my dog gets snake bit in Georgia, I'm a good piece from home.

Emery

Post by Emery »

An extra leash & tie down in case someone lost thiers or just plain forgot it. I always brought extra food. Someone's dog usually had a little extra some someone was a little short. Not too big of a problem for a one day hunt, but the whole weekend is a different story...

Emery
Be ye kind one unto another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. Ephesians 4:32

New York Hillbilly

extras at trials

Post by New York Hillbilly »

LOL....LOL... :lol:
You guys got me to thinking about an embar..assing....moment. I had a young hunting buddy that insisted we stop and load our gullets with Mic'y D's prior to each of our early morning hunting discursions, and that stuff would slide through me like grease thru a gun barrel! We worked the 3-11 shift at the time so we would take seperate vehicles so we could make it home, shower and get to work on time. Well one morning it was close to zero out and the wind was blowing so hard that the snow that was falling seemed to be going sideways. We met for our pre hunt feast as usual and my guts felt like a bear bait pile! :shock: Off to the wood lot behind the Rock Quarry we went, which meant along walk down the old snowy road that wound through the swamp. We then would cross picked over corn fields and up a rather long hill. I felt the (my) clock was ticking and the gears were well greased! To make matters worse the cold made it necessary to bundle up so as not to freeze to death while waiting for a late season deer to come buy. Which seemed pretty unlikely at best given the weather and the fact that they had been shot at for the past month everytime they poked their heads any higher than a pine cone. We said good luck to each other as we headed to our favorite spots. I stood on the side of a ridge that led to a little apple orchard and waited. I settled into my man made mouse nest of wool and cotton clothing. I pulled my head down so I could breathe into my nest. And just as I got comfy in my warm spot in the wintery wild a wave of fear swept over me as I felt a GURGLE!! Oh no... there was another gurgle...and then still aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnooootherrrrr GURGGGGGGGGGLLLLEEEE. YIKES!!!!!! All of a sudden my world was getting pretty scary. To heck with the deer I had to get to the truck quick and quick! My mind raced and panic set in as I raced in a crippled fashion, like a gut shot deer across the corn field. As cold as it was I was diaphoretic (sweating) when I reached the truck. Darn this peristalsis (gurgly guts)!!!!! No time to drive anyplace it was now a hygiene survival mission and I planned on surviving! I began ripping off coat after coat and gloves and hats and then I got down to the insulated coveralls. It looked like sure disaster as I finally got the laundry basket worth of clothes down to and tangled around my ankles. I hobbled over to a poplar tree in front of the truck and placed my faith in God as I fell backwards to the tree to use it as a back rest. Should I have missed I would be in a real fix, half undressed and froze to death in a snow bank when they find me in the spring. Ah hah I made it! I didn't fall! Glory be!! Then just when all seemed to be working out (no pun intended) a new noise. What the heck was that? Oh no! Of all the luck ....here came banging down the swamp road a truck with two guys in it. They swung that rusty old wreck right along side of my truck and were sitting there looking straight at me in all my predicament. I thought I would die. With nothing else to do as I was stuck there leaned up against the tree I just gave them a big Howdy Yall wave. You should have seen the look on their faces!!! Something like this :shock: :shock: And me like this :oops: :oops: That truck flew backwards and out of there so fast it's a wonder the box stayed on. You could see their chain saws bouncing in the air as they peeled out of there!
It wasn't funny at the time, at least for me. But the guys at the factory sue thought it was a hoot. And my buddy, he left way before I did cause it was to cold for him. I never did stop and eat with him before we went hunting anymore............Oh and what to use when you have no field paper? The snow better be good packin...but that's another story! ;)

Keep Runnin and Laughin
NYM
When my life on earth is ended....this is all I'm gonna say...Lord I've been a hard working pilgrim on the way!

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

All the chicken-steppin' in the world wouldn't have helped me. I would never have made it to the truck. :shock:

Ant, one more thing - take an immodium the night before a trial. Ya never know what kind of facilities a club will or will not have. A complete change of clothes wouldn't hurt either. Nothing worse than wet......... feet.

Add a maglight and some old rags to your inventory, and if you get a tie-out, you'd best pack a hammer along.