Swinging Dogs

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

tcshy

Swinging Dogs

Post by tcshy »

Hey, does anyone know how to stop a dog from swinging out wide when a rabbit is lost? I have a fine 16 month old pup that is starting to do it pretty bad? thanks.

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Re: Swinging Dogs

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

Quit throwing pressure on him.
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

Pine Ridge Beagles

Post by Pine Ridge Beagles »

There is no fix they are what they are,I have one that swings at the check alot. The only upside is he makes a ton of recoverys,all dogs have faults you just have to pick the ones you can live with.I run him with 2 dogs that stay pretty close in the check area and he cleanes their clock most of the time,he does get burnt some and has to play catch up.I keep him because he is that one in a lifetime jump dog.Al

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

solo time, and then more solo time.

Not a permanent fix. I am selective how I run my young hounds and with what.

transman63

Post by transman63 »

breed in some pacesetter. :D
AJ'S KENNEL'S .

bigcfromrbc

Post by bigcfromrbc »

Mine swings really big at times. Been running him a lot and he seems to be doing better.

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

transman63 wrote:breed in some pacesetter. :D
Even though thats funny, i like the way ya think. I have owned alot of pacesetter stuff.
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

east80kennels

Post by east80kennels »

run him with stuff his own speed!!! faster hounds make em tend to cut swing ect they will do what ever it takes to get to the front beagles are competitors like anything else out there. u may have to redefine your pack to a certian style or speed. if your hounds dont match in speed faster ones are gonna pull the slower ones and they're gonna do what ever it takes to get the front weather its cheating or not!!

bigcfromrbc

Post by bigcfromrbc »

east80kennels wrote:run him with stuff his own speed!!! faster hounds make em tend to cut swing ect they will do what ever it takes to get to the front beagles are competitors like anything else out there. u may have to redefine your pack to a certian style or speed. if your hounds dont match in speed faster ones are gonna pull the slower ones and they're gonna do what ever it takes to get the front weather its cheating or not!!
Not always true. My male is the fastest dog I own and he is the one that swings. While my slower gyp will work the line.

Big Mike

Post by Big Mike »

Solo solo solo
Big Mike

tcshy

Post by tcshy »

Thanks for the tips, I figured that soloing would be the best way to go.

John Way

Post by John Way »

Alone , feed him plenty of rabbit tracks as often as able. If possible only run him in heavier cover. Will keep him closer. Avoid the wide open paths at the beagle club. Just encourages /amplifies that type of behavior in an over competitive hound. Good luck. With time and patience he will come around some.

cpuckett

Post by cpuckett »

if your anything like me and just about every other person that works 40-50 hrs a week u dont have time to solo a dog to fix a fault i run all mine at once which is 5 or 6 i dont have time to solo and i dont live on a big farm were i can cut them loose and let them run while i mow grass or sit on the couch i try to b as patient as i can which probally aint long enuff but if one is doing something i dont like and i cant fix it then when i have finally had all i can take then that is it THEY GONE but as for the swingin thing i would say if hes your fastest dog and still swings he is just that which is what i always refured to as a rough dog and will probally always b that way.not that its a fault it just depends on what format u run and what u like
Puckett's Ridge Squallin Kennel

east80kennels

Post by east80kennels »

bigcfromrbc wrote:
east80kennels wrote:run him with stuff his own speed!!! faster hounds make em tend to cut swing ect they will do what ever it takes to get to the front beagles are competitors like anything else out there. u may have to redefine your pack to a certian style or speed. if your hounds dont match in speed faster ones are gonna pull the slower ones and they're gonna do what ever it takes to get the front weather its cheating or not!!
Not always true. My male is the fastest dog I own and he is the one that swings. While my slower gyp will work the line.

well somewhere in his lifetime that dog has been pressured to a point to make him swing, if not whats he cutting himself.. jmo :biggrin:

fulcount

Post by fulcount »

Believe it or not but some bloodlines ARE over competitive by Nature and do what you want it cant be run out of them
You can solo all you want to and the dog will look good alone but you put just one dog down with them and away they go just cant stand being behind