Shorts ?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

rackhntr

Shorts ?

Post by rackhntr »

I'm thinking about trading for a dog but I don't know much about his breeding. Man says he is out of FC Goodwater guinea which goes back to shorts pro, undertaker, and homebrew. Dam is Boyds Colonial little Sissy. I don't know what she goes back to. My question is does anyone know anything about Guinea or any of these other dogs like how they hunted and their speed?
Home of
HBCH Quaker Knob Jill
Quaker Knob On The Spot
Quaker Knobs Lonesome Rebel
Quaker Knobs Lonesome Dixie
Quaker Knob Hannah Jae
Quaker Knob Bitsy Boo

deerhost

Re: Shorts ?

Post by deerhost »

I'm not sure of the sire and dam, but the shorts stuff is flat medium speed stuff, some even slower and some a 1/4 step faster then medium. Its UBGA breeding. Now if that is the type of dog your running then its ok. But if your expecting some foot your not going to get it. I've seen just a few of them run and one or two were very mouthy...DH

rackhntr

Post by rackhntr »

Thanks deerhost! That's what I thought. I don't know if he could hang with my Branko and Patch dogs. The thing is the man said he just likes 5 points being a LP rabbit champion. So he must have something going for him right?
Home of
HBCH Quaker Knob Jill
Quaker Knob On The Spot
Quaker Knob Hannah Jae
Quaker Knob Bitsy Boo

HAND ME DOWN BEAGLES

Post by HAND ME DOWN BEAGLES »

Pretty sure Boyds Colonial blood will be similar foot speed to Shorts blood. Also field trials don't always favor speed. Example poor scenting , thick cover etc.

Todd Jones

patchgirl

Post by patchgirl »

I have a little female with shorts blood. She is definitely about a flat medium speed on her own. However, I also have a patch hound that I will occasionally run with her. She will stretch to keep up with a faster pack. Usually she will run the back of the pack, but clean up every time one of the front runners makes a mistake. Very solid little dog. She has the best nose of my pack. I've only seen her get mouthy on a couple of occasions. She will open a little earlier than my other two dogs, but usually produces.
Sunny's Blue Moon Lola Daisy
Booman Reaume's Storm Chaser
WWB Run N Gun Paris

rackhntr

Post by rackhntr »

Yea medium speed is just not my style of dogs. I was wandering because it just likes 5 points being a champion in LP. Kind of weird to me because I thought it took a faster type dog to win in LP. I have some patch blood in my dogs. Lesage! What blood line do you have patchgirl?
Home of
HBCH Quaker Knob Jill
Quaker Knob On The Spot
Quaker Knob Hannah Jae
Quaker Knob Bitsy Boo

bigdogpace

Post by bigdogpace »

THEY DONT SCORE DOGS FOR SPEED IN LITTLE PACK
BIGDOGPACE

rackhntr

Post by rackhntr »

bigdogpace wrote:THEY DONT SCORE DOGS FOR SPEED IN LITTLE PACK
I just figured a faster dog would do better in LP. Guess I was wrong! That's why I hunt UKC!
Home of
HBCH Quaker Knob Jill
Quaker Knob On The Spot
Quaker Knob Hannah Jae
Quaker Knob Bitsy Boo

patchgirl

Post by patchgirl »

My patch hounds have a lot of Hammerenpatch blood in them. Both are grand sired by Hammerenpatch Gunner.
Sunny's Blue Moon Lola Daisy
Booman Reaume's Storm Chaser
WWB Run N Gun Paris