What hunting coat?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

sem

What hunting coat?

Post by sem »

I need a new briar proof jacket or coat. Just looking to find out what others use and recommend and which ones to stay away from.

island hare chas'r

Re: What hunting coat?

Post by island hare chas'r »

Use the nite lite coat has plenty of pockets for trackers and training transmitters no game bag though if your killing,
Have had it for aprox 6 years and had to spray some waterproofing on it

HS Run

Post by HS Run »

Check out SouthSide ...

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

I purchased the Wick jacket, vest and bibs 15 years ago and they still going strong.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

Filson.
TheJohnBirchSociety

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

Just Cowboy Up and getter done!!! LOL! I wear jeans and let the briars add dignity.
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

Buckeye Blues

Post by Buckeye Blues »

I wear a Mule coat and wear a gander mountain hunting vest over the top of it.

bluecollar beagler

Post by bluecollar beagler »

i wear a carhart jacket and my cabelas hunting vest over it. when it gets too warm i just shed the carhart and use the vest that way im not stuck with a heavy jacket on all day.
if you guys are interested in good hunting pants i bought two pair of the wranger work pants with the double stitched fronts on them and cargo pockets on side. man have i been amazed with these pants. warm, rugged and i typically dont even wear my briar pants with them and i push right through the nasty stuff. i cant tear them up. i use them for deer season doing drives and all of rabbit season for the past 3 years and they still look good.

fasttrackpa

Post by fasttrackpa »

I wear a lightweight mule jacket with a Cabelas upland vest over top. When it gets real cold I wear a heavy carhartt rancher coat with the vest.
Andy Purnell-Dead River Beagles
FC Purnell's Greens Valley Dixie
FC Purnell's Dead River Rebel RIP
FCGD Dead River Hare Razin Ruby
FCGD Purnell's Dead River Ranger
FCGD Purnell's Dead River Bloo Bell

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

I never liked wearing a coat(to restrictive to arm movement), I usually layer according to the weather and just wear a orange zip hooded w/ my hunting vest over it.
I soak the hood in All Dri or Hunt Dri to make it water proof and carry a poncho packet if it comes a down pour.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

When I visited the packs in England I had nothing to go out in, so they loaned me a pair of wellies (rubber boots) and a "waxed jacket", it kinda looked and felt like an oiled canvas material and repelled water completely.
The Clinkard had a Landrover that pulled an enclosed sheep trailer for transporting the hounds. The trailer was about 6' tall and 12' long aluminum w/ lift gate on the rear. The nose was enclosed and separate for storage of gear.
The North Bucks had what they called the "hound Van", it was a box van with the cab caged off from the rear where the hounds loaded. I told Ken, he should pant the hound box with "bed liner" like we have over here(rhino bed liner) to protect and help from the hounds claws and washing out.

I don't know anything about the waxed jackets or clothing as to durability and long lasting, maybe they have to be retreated at times, but they allow no water to penetrate an they get plenty of rain... :nod:

Owl Creek

Post by Owl Creek »

fasttrackpa wrote:I wear a lightweight mule jacket with a Cabelas upland vest over top. When it gets real cold I wear a heavy carhartt rancher coat with the vest.
that's the ticket . you can dress accordingly. if it warms up take your jacket or coat off ,roll it up and lash it down with the cargo straps on the vest . took me 4 years to come up with a combination.

mine is close to this one

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas- ... l+Products
STEVE SERINI
owlcreek@ymail.com
573-701-4646

1 Corinthians 13:4-8

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

The vest I've used the last yrs is something like this...
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Clothing ... t104058180

cswest

Post by cswest »

Dans hunting gear, best there is in my opinion made in sugarcreek ohio.
http://www.danshuntinggear.com/

gdawg

Post by gdawg »

cswest wrote:Dans hunting gear, best there is in my opinion made in sugarcreek ohio.
http://www.danshuntinggear.com/
Ill 2nd that
RockRiver Kennels