shock collar brain damage

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

tcshy

shock collar brain damage

Post by tcshy »

Hello ladies and gentlemen. I have a buddy seriously not me, that shocked two of his dogs off a deer and he used a tri tronics classic 70 on number 6 until they came to truck. The dogs have not been the same since. The dogs run good for about an hour in cool weather and then they break down shaking and cant walk. You can put them in the truck for about 30 minutes to rest then they will run and get down again. Same thing happens in hot weather but they come in shaking and gaspling for air, let them rest a while they will hunt but not as long as in cool weather and they will go through the same cycle again. Anyone heard of this? Both dogs have been tested for heartworms and both where negative.

drifter22no1

Re: shock collar brain damage

Post by drifter22no1 »

blood sugar related maybe?
Jonah Staten
"Walkem when you have to and Catchem when you can"

KyBeagleGuy09

Post by KyBeagleGuy09 »

i don't thank it had anything to do with the collars if it did there would be a lot of dying dogs but it sounds like they may have had a heat stroke at one point in time if so it may never recover fully

pcable

Post by pcable »

Sounds just like the diabetes or sugar problem a friend of mine had with a bird dog. Try giving them some karo syrup about every hour and let them rest about 5 minutes. Some dogs burn through their blood sugar supply very quickly when hunting. The Karo will replenish what they burn up and get them back going again. The only way to test them for this is to check blood sugar levels in the field while they are showing symptoms. Give it a try, it worked wonders for the big setter he had!
IF A DOG WON'T HUNT, IT CAN'T JUMP RABBITS!!!
Owner Co-Owner
Cables Ragin' Recoil
Cables Rockin Ruby
Cables Tuff Baba Clyde
Martin's Holly Lynn
Wireman's Little Ann

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

I believe the guys are spot on with sugar, low blood sugar to be exact.

Feed them closer to when you run, not right before, but closer.

Carry some high protein snacks for them and give them one every hour or so. We have had multiple dogs from a line of grade hounds we have had for years that have done this same thing. Usually more with age.

Good luck

cris axtell/coal hill ken

Post by cris axtell/coal hill ken »

They probably crossed a fresh deer track.
COAL HILL KENNELS. LP GR CH Coal Hill's Brush Buster. 2014 PA state champion LP GR CH Coal Hill's Mama Cass. 2010 PA state champion LP R CH GR BCH Coal Hill's Princess Willow HOG DOG POWER!!!!

tcshy

Post by tcshy »

Seriously cris? Come on man!

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

Dogs with heart murmer do the same thing. Run for hour then need put in box for 10 min then they can run again. It's much worse in hot weather .....vet can tell in 30 seconds with a stethoscope, no tests needed.

If shock collars caused brain damage most of mine would be completely brain dead.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

This started after he fried them hard off a deer. If they come across a fresh track or bed they could be scared sh!tless. Dogs react to hard shocking differently. Shock collar only shocks between the prongs it should not effect then physically only mentally.
Last edited by cris axtell/coal hill ken on Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
COAL HILL KENNELS. LP GR CH Coal Hill's Brush Buster. 2014 PA state champion LP GR CH Coal Hill's Mama Cass. 2010 PA state champion LP R CH GR BCH Coal Hill's Princess Willow HOG DOG POWER!!!!

Smoke'n Mack

Post by Smoke'n Mack »

Cris's suggestion isn't completely off base. When I shocked my female pup off deer the first time, I really fried her too. The next 3 deer we jumped, she squealed like someone was skinning her alive and ended up back at my feet shaking. It looked and sounded exactly like I was shocking her again, but I didn't even have the remote in my hand. I'm pretty sure that was the intended result.

So let us know what the problem was. Seriously!

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

tcshy wrote:Hello ladies and gentlemen. I have a buddy seriously not me, that shocked two of his dogs off a deer and he used a tri tronics classic 70 on number 6 until they came to truck. The dogs have not been the same since. The dogs run good for about an hour in cool weather and then they break down shaking and cant walk. You can put them in the truck for about 30 minutes to rest then they will run and get down again. Same thing happens in hot weather but they come in shaking and gaspling for air, let them rest a while they will hunt but not as long as in cool weather and they will go through the same cycle again. Anyone heard of this? Both dogs have been tested for heartworms and both where negative.

If shocking dogs off deer means brain damage? I have had some short bus hounds.Better get a second opinion from another vet, lost one a while back that had lung cancer that displayed same symtons.
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

bluemouse

Post by bluemouse »

Got some older dogs that loose some ump after a long morning running. I carry the dollar store packs of honey buns they like them and seem to give them enough energy to run in the afternoon.

Nurse Laura

Post by Nurse Laura »

What's the odds that both dogs have blood sugar problems. What feed are you feeding - it just may not carry enough "good" to sustain the hounds. What other elements have they been exposed to? Something that is common to both hounds.

Mo. Beagler 5000

Post by Mo. Beagler 5000 »

Nurse Laura wrote:What's the odds that both dogs have blood sugar problems. What feed are you feeding - it just may not carry enough "good" to sustain the hounds. What other elements have they been exposed to? Something that is common to both hounds.
If they are littermates, then it is a decent probability.
God isn't real, Beer is good and people are crazy, there I fixed it.