American Hunter

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

harvhounds

American Hunter

Post by harvhounds »

For those of you who recieve the American Hunter published by the NRA please take a look at the January 03 issue page 61 artical Titled "Rabbits for Kicks" by David Hart.I was offened by his remarks about beagles-I quote "yapping little Demons" "theyer great as long as they belong to your best friends" and a few other comments about stinking kennels ect.The artical is about rabbit hunting with out a dog.Is this guy for real?He does say some good things also to be fair but the negitive far out weighs the positive in my opinion.
Am I getting carried away here?I have been an NRA member for many years and even though I detest the phone calls I send them a few bucks when I can I don't agree with every thing they say or do but the good far out weighs the bad and they are the best we have to support our hunting rights and gun ownership.I do intend to let them know what I think of this artical. :mad:

Chuck Terry

Post by Chuck Terry »

I had a little negative reaction to those same comments. I had considered a letter to the editor but have not taken the time to yet - I sure someone will if I don't,

Beagle Bum

Post by Beagle Bum »

Harvhounds,
You really need to tell the Editor of the American Hunter exactly what you are telling us. David Hart's COMMENTS STINK and it's obvious he doesn't know what he's talking about and is expressing a personal opinion (almost like one of the major newspapers UH). I don't get the American Hunter but I am a Lift Member of the NRA (I take America's First Freedom).
Tell them how you feel. :bash:

Chuck Terry,
I'm supprised you haven't written yet - let's get with the program my friend. You know what happens when you depend on others to take up the slack - I've seen all the work you do at your BC. ;)
Thanks in advance to both of you.
Let's Count Our Blessings, Not Our Problems!!

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

And to think I was considering advertising in The American Hunter. Wonder how they feel about a whole publication dedicated to rabbit hunting with dogs. Some folks just don't have a clue. Perhaps I'll write a letter to the Editor. :camo:

We've gotten an odd copy here and there - we too give every year, but don't get the magazine. Anybody wanna photocopy that article for me or do you think it's still on the stands?

Chuck Terry

Post by Chuck Terry »

I am sure the comments were meant to be humorous and may have been to non-beaglers. Granted my beagles have their individual shortcomings but they are not allowed to be "yapping little demons". They learn quickly learn around my house that if they wish to stay dry, they must remain quiet in the kennel. They are not "stubby-legged" nor particularly "high strung". I sure would not trade for the boat or beach house the author asserted they were analagous to (good only when they belonged to a friend).

DG TX

Post by DG TX »

As I have said for decades concerning "hunters" rights. Let NRA take care of hunting/gun rights and let the registries take care of the hound ownership rights. Outside of the brush, hunting or competition, guns & Beagles are best left segregated. A case of another double edge sword that both group should handle with respect! :mad:

harvhounds

Post by harvhounds »

DG TX Good point However the NRA is one of if not the most powerful lobbies in Washington for my money they had better support hunters rights the guns I own are all for hunting and also serve for home defence.
Bev I will try to scan it and send it to you soon but I have a cheap scanner so I'm not sure if it will work.
I intend to send a letter I am working out how I intend to put my views.

jackrabbit

to each his own

Post by jackrabbit »

i realize i may get pelted with stones here or beat with large sticks...lol yet i still feel freedom of speach is still so important. dont forget that the fellow writing an article on hunting rabbits without a dog and jump shooting is attempting to not only make a case for hunting without a dog, but is trying to make the article interesting and a bit humorous. his aim is to keep the readers interest and make for good reading. he is also targeting the hunter that does not use a dog. he more than likely meant no harm to any of us "real rabbit hunters". actually he is totally within his right to feel that dogs are not only bothersome, but also not needed. and should be allowed to express those feelings without getting beat up by us. and in the same grain there is nothing wrong with any of us writing and expressing how we felt about what he said. i imagine it can be difficult writing articles that dont insult someone in some way. just think how we get our feathers ruffled on the boards and normally we do not intend for our comments to come out that way. thats the great thing about this country. we have the right to stand and promote agendas that others hate with every fiber of their being. sometimes i think we are a bit too thin skinned....... and yes i know i am the worst offender in that area.

thanks guys
jackrabbit

S.R. Patch

Post by S.R. Patch »

If we're in the same boat but on different sides, it doesn't benefit one to shoot holes in the other cause we're both going to sink...Patch

DG TX

Post by DG TX »

harvhounds, I would trust the devil before I would trust a lobbiest!! And I put ALL politicians in the same boat! It is all about money. And you cannot tell me that all of them, including the NRA, will not talk out of both sides of thier mouth. THE BIGGER THE LOBBY, THE WORSE! It's all about the "deals" that we, the public, never see until they are law. And the worse the economy gets the sorrier they get. :( Sad state of affairs.

harvhounds

Post by harvhounds »

Jackrabbit - good point I just don't understand why they would publish an artical that many hunters would take issue with but I'm free to tell them what I think .When I have to pick up a dog thats been running for hours, bleeding from it's tail, tounge, ears and who knows where else and still doesn't want to quit I think Man there just can't be a better breed of dog to hunt over.
Another thing that gets me about this when jump shooting where do they tend to hit the rabbit?Right in the hind end where all the meat is!With beagles running them to tend to shoot them coming at you.

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

I plan to exercise that same freedom of speech in a letter to their Editor. Here's the first part of the article (thanks Chuck) :

"Take a kennel full of beagles, add a sweltering summer day and perhaps a warm shower from an afternoon thunderstorm and what do you have? A stinking, fly-infested mess you have to clean up everyday. Grab the shovel and the bucket and step into those knee-high rubber boots. Don't forget the clothespin. You''ll need it for your nose.

Add the cost of high-quality dog food and unending vet bills and the daily hassles of caring for those yapping little demons and you have to wonder why anyone bothers hunting rabbits with a pack of beagles. Face it, rabbit dogs are like boats and beach houses: They're great as long as they belong to your best friends."

I think this dredges up nightmares of unfit kennel conditions and applies it to all who own beagles for rabbit hunting, and I don't see a bit of humor in it. Also, I can't help but wonder how the article would have come out had it been about pheasant or duck hunting? I noticed they received an award in design for the cover that featured retrievers http://www.nra.org/display_content/show ... 51&id=4427

Hmmm, it is nice, but doesn't look that much better than my August cover, but then again I'm prejudiced. To me, that writer's attitude about beagles is just one more reason why we can't get big sponsors or televised coverage for our events, the public doesn't take the sport of beagling seriously.

Excuse me now, I have to go run about six dogs out from under my porch, find my writin' pen and git busy.

jackrabbit

non-dog hunter

Post by jackrabbit »

harvhounds i think the fellow was just trying to make a point for the fellow who does hunt without a dog. and perhaps he should take a close look at what trent lott's fate was for speaking without thinking thru the consequences. i think you guys are prefectly within your rights to caution NRA about being sensitive to feelings of all its members. i also can imagine that the guy that wrote that article has heard it from several folks too. its good that we work together to make sure all the hunting sports are being treated fairly and supported by all. so lets use a little tact and not shoot those holes in our own boat.....lol.

the article you refer to really doesnt harm us in that it is still pro-hunting. go read the post i made on the hunting legislation board. the antis are using the media to subtally put anti hunting ideas in our kids heads... now there is a dangerous area for us. the motion picture industry does it constantly... in THE AMERICAN PRESIDENT the statement was made at the end that he was drafting new legislation that would get the guns. it was done on the back drop of a supposedly couragous and morel presidents actions...

the comment was made that you cant trust the lobbist or the elected officials... unfortunately its all we got. im now attending a few district meetings of sportsmans groups. i quess im just to pro-opportunity. my take on these types of organization is that they need to be supporting every hunting cause and not picking and choosing just the popular fights or the ones they think they can win.

anyway hav ole buddy tell em what you think....ill be on your side.