Garmin Alpha Locking up

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Pine Ridge Beagles

Re: Garmin Alpha Locking up

Post by Pine Ridge Beagles »

Mine has shut down a few times,it just fades out and you have to restart,it always picks the dogs up right away.It picked the dogs up at 425 yards in the UP.Al

beaglenutz

Post by beaglenutz »

I updated and master reset hand held and all collars. Ran last night for three hours with no problem. Tonight I ran for two hours and it shut down on me again. Very frustrated!!

old blood beagles

Post by old blood beagles »

The tracking is supposed to be up to 9 miles, is that what everyone is seeing? Also what ranges is the shocking going out too? Really interested in this unit for 5 hounds but before I pay that much I want to make sure it works like it should.
Bowling's Old Blood Beagles
BOBB's Line of Hounds
Selective breeding of Old Branko "NINJA"/Ranger Dan = BOBB's Line

fasttrackpa

Post by fasttrackpa »

I tested mine from a ridge top down a valley. it was pretty much line of site, and I was able to read the collar at 10 miles. when you can read the collar you can shock or tone it. I have never seen that kind of range in the woods. if my hounds are at a mile and not making a turn I am going towards them. I cut that range as fast as possible. That said in normal hunting conditions if I can get 2 miles I am satisfied. I have seen coyote hounds tracked at 3-4 miles in big timber ridges consistently but that is the farthest. Mine with 4 collars has been worth every cent.

Last Spring in Maine we had a hare go about a mile and circle a knob, a couple of the guys went after him. When they got in there and tried to kill it, he took off. the hounds ended up 1.75mi from where they started. After killing the hare the guys did not have enough leads to bring all the hounds back. Using radios they told me when to tone my dogs and they brought them back without a lead...
Andy Purnell-Dead River Beagles
FC Purnell's Greens Valley Dixie
FC Purnell's Dead River Rebel RIP
FCGD Dead River Hare Razin Ruby
FCGD Purnell's Dead River Ranger
FCGD Purnell's Dead River Bloo Bell

Smoke'n Mack

Post by Smoke'n Mack »

Nice Andy! I was happy that I had mine in Maine for my first trip up there this year. I think everyday we had a split that would lead a dog or two into the next spruce thicket. At one point we missed a hare and the next thing I knew I was tracking my males at a tad over a mile. Start walking and reset up when you get there. Another day my female split off and went out of hearing. I killed the hare the pack was running then looked at the Garmin and she was over a 1000 yards up over the hill. Start walking to that cut, about half way there you can start to hear her again and get setup on that hare.

I did drop signal a few times up there when a hill would get between me and the dogs, however wait 5 seconds for the next update and it usually picked the collar back up. I am still running the stock collar antenna's on two of my collars and one tuff skin on the other. Funny thing is I think I'm the only person that doesn't see an improvement in range with the tuff skin. It tracks and drops the same distances as my stock ones.

beaglenutz

Post by beaglenutz »

Wow, I can't believe that nobody else out there is having any troubles.
They sent me a brand new one (not reconditioned) and out of five times out it locked up and shut down four times!!!!
For the price of these you would think they would just work properly. OR FIX THE ISSUE!!!!!!!!

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Calling tomorrow, having more issues.

Hope they replace mine as well.

Budd

Post by Budd »

You fellas that are having the issue's, do any of you have beirdseye installed and how much?

Buckeye Blues

Post by Buckeye Blues »

I have had mine for 2 or 3 months now. I have birdseye view. Probably have the 32 gig card I bought about 1/3rd filled up. I have had zero issues with mine. Knock on wood!

cjgrabhunter

Post by cjgrabhunter »

I had one do it like 3 different times in almost a year called them up they told me to send it back and they would replace it but they gave me a reconditioned one was not to happy about that at all told them I didn't buy a reconditioned one I bought a new one anyway they said cause it was almost out of warranty that's why I wasn't gonna get a new one so if you are having problems don't wait better get it back to them as soon as possible only had chance to use the one they sent me a couple times but so far so good only time will tell though.

beaglenutz

Post by beaglenutz »

I talked to them again today and I think they are going to open a case on this problem!
There are also suppose to be looking at this site to see how many people are having these issues.
My unit is bare bones stock out of case!! No downloads, waypoints, pics, birdseye ect.

Keep posting they are looking!!!! :D
Thanks

Swamper AR

Post by Swamper AR »

I would LOVE to know how you are getting long range. I start dropping signal at 1/2 mile at times. Sometimes I can get them out to a mile. This is pretty flat areas in grass and briars.
If I agreed with you then we'd both be wrong.

beaglenutz

Post by beaglenutz »

I try to stay somewhat close to them most of the time.
I haven't had any issue with loosing signal out to 600 yards.

bluecollar beagler

Post by bluecollar beagler »

im constantly losing signal now on my dogs since the updates. Hunted with four guys this past week with the same alpha units and all three of my collars would beep on the handheld that i had lost signal. not once did any of those guys lose signal w their dogs. mines not even a yr old yet. havent got around to calling yet but plan to.

beaglenutz

Post by beaglenutz »

This thing is freezing up every time out now!
It is really ticking me off!! :angryfire: