Garmin Alpha Locking up

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Crow

Re: Garmin Alpha Locking up

Post by Crow »

BCBeagles wrote:Sending mine back to Garmin today. I just want it replaced and I told them that.

They deny any issues with this which is obviously false, others are having issues.

See what happens?
What kind of turn around time did they give you?

wcbeagle

Post by wcbeagle »

SR Patch ,you are correct. How can someone have confidence they will be able to locate their dog if it is left out overnight? The last 2 years I have been to Maine, our group had anywhere from 6 to 14 people in it. I am the only one with a regular wildlife 1000 tracker. Everyone else had a garmin gps unit of some kind, be it a 220, 320 or alpha.
Every night someone had a problem of some kind. Wires breaking on the collars, Batteries going dead 2 to 3 hours after being turn on, and yes they were charged the night before. I have had and used my wildlife unit since 2001 without a single failure. Would not own a gps at this time because of what I have seen. Some people cannot hunt for watching the screen on the hand held unit. If you can hear the dogs running why do you need to be looking at a video screen.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

10 to 14 days.

I don't get fixated on the unit. I could care less what is going on until I need it. It is a nice tool, just has it's pro's(many), and it con's(a few)..lol.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Just got another call from a gentleman having same issues on three units of Alpha, exactly what mine was doing. Locking up and fading out.

Garmin denied any issue with there unit, they are WRONG... mine is back with them we will see what happens.

cut2dchase

Post by cut2dchase »

Mine is also fading out and then dying. Not every time out, but
probably 2 out of 3 times.Garmin tech told me that he was confident
that update 3.0 would solve my problem. NOT :angryfire:

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

I have 3.0, does not change issue!!!!

Farm dog

Post by Farm dog »

I have never done any updates on mine and have had since they 1st came out. Mine works good. Hope you guys get yours figured out

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

it is an issue with newer models from best I can get. My Uncle has one as well from right when they came out and it has no issues.

beaglenutz

Post by beaglenutz »

They finally emailed me and requested I download my xml files off of my handheld and send them to product support.
I seen errors on the files as I downloaded them. That was a week or so ago and haven't heard anything back. The funny thing is that they haven't said anymore about ( I am the only one with this issue!!)

packmaster

Post by packmaster »

Just finally got around to calling them.She walked me thru a bunch of steps on the computer and handheld including the master reset.We`ll see what happens tonite.I never loose signal on the dogs,and when it shuts down I pick them back up immediately,when I turn it back on.really gets me upset because I loose all the dog stats.<and I like to keep mileage on my dogs.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

That is exactly what mine does. Lose mileage and have lost truck location more than once. Not a big deal when hunting in my regular spots, but it sure sucked when it happened in Maine running Hare!!!

packmaster

Post by packmaster »

mine started doing it right after I installed birdseye view.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

They are sending me back a refurbished unit with year warranty, not thrilled about it, but maybe it is an older version. Those seem to have less issues??

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Some guys still trying to get their hounds back(running hare?), their collars lasted two days.
I told them they should be out on the roads looking for the next day or two, they should be good and tired and hungry but maybe not as i've found many deer carcases from the deer hunters at most of the side road pull offs. I wish they would take their deer home with them instead of dumping the remains at the parking spots. I hung three messes in the trees to keep the hounds away from them.

birmi1nr

Post by birmi1nr »

Guess I've got a good one........ My Alpha is around 6 months old and I have (2) collars for it and have yet to have a single problem with it and I use it 3-4 times per week from running cottontail to hare in the big North woods. I've also kept both my unit and collars up to date with every update they've came out with since purchasing. :hammer: on wood.
CEREAL CITY KENNELS
FCGD CEREAL CITY WANGO TANGO
FCGD CEREAL CITY OOH LALA