Garmin Alpha Locking up

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

BCBeagles

Re: Garmin Alpha Locking up

Post by BCBeagles »

I have definitely heard people having LESS issues with less collars being active. I run 4-5 most times and others are running multiples that may be overloading the processor more.

I don't know... I just hope it works out!!

Crow

Post by Crow »

BCBeagles wrote:They are sending me back a refurbished unit with year warranty, not thrilled about it, but maybe it is an older version. Those seem to have less issues??
Don't worry about the refurb, if they hadn't told you it was one when you see it I bet you'd think it was new. They replace the exterior case & everything.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

How much does one of these "refurbished units" cost?
Maybe a guy could save some money and get the bugs out like this?
I know I had to get my new truck "refurbished" a couple of times, they called it a "recall".
I don't know about if you buy a 4 horse trailer an they only send you a 2 horse trailer if that matters or not. How many collars are these units suppose to track?

wireman252

Post by wireman252 »

This was posted on another site from my running buddy who has been "grounded" from here. He thought it would be helpful to you all.
Just got off the phone with Garmin concerning the Alph 100 shutting down. Lady said that they just came out with an update for it. You need to do 2 things: A. Turn off your "battery save" feature. B. Go to the Garmin site and do the update. Check your handheld afterword to be sure you have software version 3.10.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Thanks for the information.

It is a great system. I really like it, but the issues make it a bit of a pain.

Thanks for all the help again!

beaglenutz

Post by beaglenutz »

I called to see if there was any progress and the guy told me the same thing. He said there is a new update to fix this problem. All excited I rush to check for updates and it says I have the most current available. :angryfire:
I have the 3.10 and battery save is off! Sure didn't fix my problems!

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Well, 8 miles in today it shut off.......Crow can you please detail me on the fix you found.

Please call me if you can. 304-825-6595. little frustrating...

packmaster

Post by packmaster »

I have found that the only time mine shuts down is when I am using the birdseye view,and when I try to remove the small red zoom pin,by hitting the x at the top right corner,thats when it shuts down.I ran hare everyday last week,and did not load the birdseye map for the area I was running.The unit never shut down once,and worked flawlessly.

Crow

Post by Crow »

BCBeagles wrote:Well, 8 miles in today it shut off.......Crow can you please detail me on the fix you found.

Please call me if you can. 304-825-6595. little frustrating...
Sure but it didn't work :lol: it doesn't do it as much but still does. I called them, mines headed to Kansas & a new one should be coming to Tennessee soon.

What I did was turn it on, go to settings > maps > advanced setup > zoom options. There should be 4 categories and all should say "auto". If not do a hard reset (3 of my 4 said ",,U$" and the 1 said "mount Everest"). This will erase ALL INFO on handheld including collars so they'll have to be added again. To reset turn unit off. With unit off press & hold the upper left hand corner. While holding upper left hand corner turn unit on. Continue to hold upper left hand corner until the garmin logo appears & unit starts "booting up" then release. It definitely helped mine but didn't fix it. I was told that this problem has been reported multiple times & it has been narrowed down to a "hardware" problem (prolly processor). Not all have it but several do.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Shut down on me twice today. Calling them again on Monday, ALL new updates, battery save off, only ran two hounds today so I stopped tracking on the other three collars I have.... frustrated with this....

cut2dchase

Post by cut2dchase »

BCBeagles wrote:They are sending me back a refurbished unit with year warranty, not thrilled about it, but maybe it is an older version. Those seem to have less issues??
BC, Is this the unit they sent back to you that you'r having the same problem with?

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Yes....they will here about that Monday....I just want one that works!!

Crow

Post by Crow »

BCBeagles wrote:Yes....they will here about that Monday....I just want one that works!!
Me to brother, me to! I'm awaiting my replacement unit. I'm hoping it doesn't have the same issues. I wish these things weren't so awesome. I've hunted with units that work perfectly, even with he issues we're having I just don't hink I would wanna go back. Good luck Monday.

beaglenutz

Post by beaglenutz »

Anyone getting these problems fixed?
I haven't heard anything from them in quite a while!! :angryfire:

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

They already have emailed me another tag to send mine back again.

I have a couple trips coming up and will be using mine, but when back it will be returned again. Mine is now shutting down twice a day....I will keep sending it back...customer service has been very good!