Has anyone experienced this?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Big Dog

Has anyone experienced this?

Post by Big Dog »

I have a pup that has a pink fleshy growth in the corner of his eye close to his nose that seems to be getting bigger. I called the vet today and he told me that it sounds like a tear duct tumor. Recommended that I put the pup on Penicillin 1cc for the next 3 - 5days and see how it reacts. If that doesn't work he said that surgery will probably be necessary Has anyone ever seen this, and what was the outcome? Pup is 5 1/2 months old.

Big Dog
Black and Tans, Blue Ticks, and a few others bringing smoke

blackdirt beagles

Post by blackdirt beagles »

I think I know what you mean. if so, we call it cherry eye. This is what I do. But first, I'm sure any vet will tell you to absolutely never do this. Anyway, I pull it away from the eye a half inch or so with tweezers and with a sharp, clean pair of scissors, cut it off. pretty painless and only bleed a few seconds. I've done this on 4 dogs with no trouble, but as I said, vets hate this.

Big Dog

pup

Post by Big Dog »

How much would a vet typically charge to perform this procedure?

Big Dog
Black and Tans, Blue Ticks, and a few others bringing smoke

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

A lot of vets won't remove cherry eye anymore. It used to be standard procedure, but now some of the more progressive vets feel like they need that tear duct and will stitch it back in. I don't think the procedure is all that expensive, but it's like anything that requires a hound to go under a general anesthetic - the anesthesia is the lion's share of the cost. I haven't had to have a cherry eye done, but I have had dew claw removal (which required surgery) done on an adult hound and the total bill inluding follow-up care and prophylactic antibotics was around $115. Most vets will quote you a close estimate for routine surgeries like spay/neuter, dew claw removal, repair of cherry eye, etc. Procedures that require overnight or several day's stay, or getting into the belly are the ones that generally get expensive.

SouthernBeagles

Post by SouthernBeagles »

A friend of mine had a cherrie eye removed this past Monday from one of his hounds. Says it cost him $35.00. Does anyone know if it is genetic?

snowshoehareguide

dew claws

Post by snowshoehareguide »

bev i had a cross bred mutt rabbit dog here that had rear dew claws. they are ugly and can bleed if running on thin crust well being a big procratinator and never seem to have an extra 100$ she still had them. a couple weeks ago i let her out of truck and she got brite idea to run down the rd . i drove till i caught up with her downed her and snip off came her dew claws . within a week no sign she ever had any. next time i went hunting she didnt offer to run the rd either. when you talk about removing dew claws are you talking front ones or rear ones? ive never seen rear dewclaws on my purebred beagles just the cross breeds. ive never taken the front ones off . and im real interested in this cherry eye subject , i have one here im kinda waiting to see if hell ever adapt to snow. dewclaws is one thing eyes is another when it comes to my vet work. pete

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

Beagles as a breed are predisposed to several conditions, cherry eye, and epilepsy, to name a couple. That's why I'm never surprised to hear about beagles having seizures. The tough part is finding out if it's epilepsy or the kind of seizure brought on by hypoglycemia since beagles often work beyond the calories available to burn.

Rear dew claws can be present in beagles papers or not. I have a well-bred litter in the house right now. Two were born with rear dew claws, three were not. I have had the dew claws removed from two hounds I'd acquired as adults because I felt they had the conformation to show, and removing the dew claws neatened up the back feet quite a bit.

I'm glad you didn't encounter any trouble with your hound. Some dew claws are just attached by a flap of skin, but some of those rear dews can be attached by a good bit of bone and require stitches and bandages when removed. Infection can always be a hazard for an open wound, especially for an outside dog. It's best to get them removed when they are a couple of days old and never have to think about it again.

I've been told that if one totally removes the bulging tear duct with cherry eye, they need to replace that tear source with eye drops daily, since the main duty of tear duct is keeping the eye lubricated and washing foreign objects from the eye - and we all know how easily beagles get junk in their eyes. A lot of things that were common medical practices in the past are now considered unnecessary. I think cutting the tear duct out is probably one of them. I'd have it stitched back in.

Vickie

Post by Vickie »

The sooner you have it stitched back in, the better chance you have of it staying. I had one that didn't stay after two surgeries. Finally we took it out. Gave her eyedrops to encourage tear production and weaned her off that. I gave her to some people and they haven't had any problems with her. I did advise them to rinse her eyes out after every time they are out hunting. Her mother had the same problem, but it always went back on its own. So, I had the pup spayed. Didn't want to take any more chances.