Possible cheap dog tracking???

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Alabama John

Possible cheap dog tracking???

Post by Alabama John »

Had a bird dog owner and his son come to my place to run his dog. Saw him take his sons phone and masking tape it to the dogs collar. I asked him why and he said he could tell where his dog was just as he could his son when he carried his phone with him.
After they finished he took it off handed it back to his son and they left.
Is that possible or was he BSing me?

Hammer

Re: Possible cheap dog tracking???

Post by Hammer »

Yes, it can be done. You can track other phones that are on the same plan.

Will05

Post by Will05 »

yes you can but with the cost of phones these days that could get pricey!!!
Wsullivan777@gmail.com
Home of :
Sullivan's Sadie MaePatch
Sullivan's MollyPatch

shawnfrazier

Post by shawnfrazier »

if you have an iphone you can dog track my phone and it is gps location

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

Don't know exactly how accurate it would be on updating but could definitely tell where the dog is but I wouldn't want to put my phone on a dog "phones are expensive" more expensive than buying a garmin!!
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

LET THE DOGS DO THE TALKING
www.bornagainkennels.weebly.com

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

Called him and he said his three sons already have a phone they use for work that are the cheap fold down lid type that cost about $30.00 for each unit. His is the expensive type that does all sorts of things but he keeps it to himself and would never put it on a dog. I also asked how far this set up would reach out and he said as far as the phone reached so I don't think our dogs would get out of range.

Since we would be using phones we already have but for a different purpose during hunting, it sounds like it would help a lot of beaglers be able to find their dogs that have and are already paying monthly for cheap phones. Maybe some of you will try it.

We may be the only ones NOT doing this.

Newt

Post by Newt »

johns03272008 wrote:Don't know exactly how accurate it would be on updating but could definitely tell where the dog is but I wouldn't want to put my phone on a dog "phones are expensive" more expensive than buying a garmin!!
Call your local phone company. You may qualify for a free cell phone. I hear the rules are rather lax. ;)

Little Indian Creek

Post by Little Indian Creek »

It doesnt sound cheap to me. I am sure the phone wont last long with water and so forth not to mention you would have to pay a monthly bill.
Kenny Lain
Little Indian Creek Kennels
AKC & NKC Beagles

duckbuster38401

Post by duckbuster38401 »

What happens if he gets a call? Talk about the dogs acting funny, mine are time broke to the collar that would be funny.
Jason McMeen
931-446-1467

Ohiohntr

Post by Ohiohntr »

My daughter lost her iPhone while hunting on Saturday....she was a mess about the whole deal as I was making fun of her that she was "off the grid and losing friends by the minute". :lol:

Anyhow, I let it go on for quite awhile and then pulled her phone up on the Find My iPhone App and it pinpointed us to the exact location, played the lost sound, found it right away. Without this we would have never found it as it was laying in high swamp grass and was on vibrate....Don't think I would be strapping it to my beagles collar though.

Hmmm....just had a thought to get these young kids out there judging, strap their phones to the pack of hounds...no doubt they would keep up with the dogs all day. ;)
FC Green Bay Nemasket Singer
FWR Blue Boy's Lightfoot

duckbuster38401

Post by duckbuster38401 »

No doubt on that they would be all over a pack to get that phone back. I can't say too much I'm on mine a lot on the form and listening to pandora.
Jason McMeen
931-446-1467

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

LOL

hskennels69

Post by hskennels69 »

Garmin has an APP that if you sign into their site and get a password you can input the DC30 number from under the collar plate then it lets you track it on your smart phone....It doesn't give you yardage and isn't quite as sophisticated as the handheld but you can track it none the less....I did it and it was awesome!!!!! Shows where the collar is as a green dot on the screen, mine was in my house and it showed my house on Google Earth and every move the collar made, even showed the cars in the drive!!!!
Home of:
LP R. CH. UKC DUAL CH. PKC SILVER CHAMPION OLD DIRTY SOUTH PLAYBOY
H&S MUSTANG SALLY

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

hskennels69 wrote:Garmin has an APP that if you sign into their site and get a password you can input the DC30 number from under the collar plate then it lets you track it on your smart phone....It doesn't give you yardage and isn't quite as sophisticated as the handheld but you can track it none the less....I did it and it was awesome!!!!! Shows where the collar is as a green dot on the screen, mine was in my house and it showed my house on Google Earth and every move the collar made, even showed the cars in the drive!!!!

What is the app? I may check it out
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

LET THE DOGS DO THE TALKING
www.bornagainkennels.weebly.com