Is it me or do dogs hunt harder under the gun??

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Hwy 30 kennels

Is it me or do dogs hunt harder under the gun??

Post by Hwy 30 kennels »

I have 2 female beagles that I have owned since they was pups one is 5 and 3 years old these two dogs run good year around but seems like they hunt twice as hard when I'm gun hunting over them? Has any one els seen beagles like this or is it just me thanking their hunting harder over the gun? I hunt 5 beagles and the other three Dogs does the same gun or no gun!

ken pack

Re: Is it me or do dogs hunt harder under the gun??

Post by ken pack »

I can't say I notice that but maybe they're smart enough and know that when you carry that thing ( GUN ) in your hand that they might get a Face to Face encounter with that thing ( RABBIT ) that they are Running and Hunt harder. jmo

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

Had an old man told me one time that back in the 50s,when he step out of the house with the gun the dogs would go crazy and he go hunting.but when he came out of the house with no gun they would look and then just lay there head back down.I always had dogs that you took hunting,but I do believe dogs are a little different when you kill a rabbit in fount of them.

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

They probably figure out that thing can also be used on them if they don't do their part.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

John matacia

Post by John matacia »

i had a little female that would do that. and if a bird flushed and you shot she would be all over you looking for a dead rabbit.

Rowco Beagle Kennels

Post by Rowco Beagle Kennels »

I think the main difference is the manner in which we act when hunting dogs under the gun. At least for us, there is more walking with the dogs and talking to the dogs. We are more aggressive and so are the hounds. Bobby

Hwy 30 kennels

Post by Hwy 30 kennels »

I sure do walk a lot more with the dogs during rabbit season..

east80kennels

Post by east80kennels »

Hwy 30 kennels wrote:I sure do walk a lot more with the dogs during rabbit season..

thats cause ur trying to kill em lol

old blood beagles

Post by old blood beagles »

I will have to agree with Bobby. We are harder on our hounds when we walk with them but they (at least mine) get more praise when we get the bunny in the bag and it seems to me that they work harder for that praise.
Bowling's Old Blood Beagles
BOBB's Line of Hounds
Selective breeding of Old Branko "NINJA"/Ranger Dan = BOBB's Line

Laneline

Post by Laneline »

Hwy 30 kennels wrote:I have 2 female beagles that I have owned since they was pups one is 5 and 3 years old these two dogs run good year around but seems like they hunt twice as hard when I'm gun hunting over them? Has any one els seen beagles like this or is it just me thanking their hunting harder over the gun? I hunt 5 beagles and the other three Dogs does the same gun or no gun!
Absolutely! I am a firm believer that a person doesn’t know what they really have in a hound until their dog has been gunned over. The “blood & fur”, catching live but wounded rabbits along with the sound of a gun turns on a switch that no amount of “just running” can do. Many dogs never reach their full potential because they have missed out on this {what they were bred for} experience.
Last edited by Laneline on Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Heaven goes by favor; if it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in." - Mark Twain

bunnybuster88

Post by bunnybuster88 »

Laneline wrote:
Hwy 30 kennels wrote:I have 2 female beagles that I have owned since they was pups one is 5 and 3 years old these two dogs run good year around but seems like they hunt twice as hard when I'm gun hunting over them? Has any one els seen beagles like this or is it just me thanking their hunting harder over the gun? I hunt 5 beagles and the other three Dogs does the same gun or no gun!
Absolutely! I am a firm believer that a person doesn’t know what they really have in a hound until their dog has been gunned over. The “blood & fur”, catching live but wounded rabbits along with the sound of a gun turns on a switch that no amount of “just running” can do. Many dogs never reach their full potential because they have missed out on this experience.
:nod: very well said