Life is Great...

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Schag

Life is Great...

Post by Schag »

I have been trying my best to get my 7 year old son his first rabbit. We have been out, but he has not had a shot. Today finally proved to be the day...

Dating back, he has been around the hounds since he was able to walk. We shoot pellet guns, BB guns,rifles, shotguns, etc. He is able to handle it at a young age and believe me he knows what gun safety is, and how important it is or I would not allow him to do the things he is allowed to do. (Matter of fact, he would probably get his butt smacked instead.) Anyway, today was a great day.

The hounds started a rabbit and this bunny came by us, but did not pose a shot. I was amazed how small this rabbit was, not much bigger than my hand. I knew the rabbits in my yard were still breeding late. Anyway, the dogs eventually just flat out lost the rabbit. My boy asked, "Did it go to a hole?" I said, no, they just lost him and that they don't always run them the way we expect them to. We searched for another rabbit. The dogs finally jumped the second rabbit, and he wanted to run! They took him into the woods and circled him a couple of times. I told my son, and wife, who was videoing for me that we had to move up to get a shot. We moved up and the dogs took the rabbit right by us. We caught the rabbit on video coming by, but my son did not shoot. He said, "I just wasn't confident in myself on that one." I was proud of him and told him that there is no sense in taking a shot that you are not confident in. The dogs strolled by on him and I was hoping to have one more crack at that rabbit. My wish came true, he came back around. I told my son the next time I will try to get the rabbit to stop. The rabbit came flying to us, and I whistled at him, I have had this work in the past, and not work as well, but this time it worked. The rabbit stopped on a dime, and I told my boy to shoot. He peppered the bunny's ears and was excited as could be! I was very pleased with him. He was shooting my 28 gauge side-by-side, but I told him he was only permitted to have one shell in the gun. We took a couple of pictures, talked about what a great day we had and how we are blessed, and called it a day. What a great day! One shot, one kill.

On a side note, we captured this hunt on video, and it WILL be featured on my new video, Briar Patch Bandits III. Stay tuned... :biggrin:

Thank-you Lord for the many blessing you have given me.

Chuck Prather

Re: Life is Great...

Post by Chuck Prather »

That's great!

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

Jason Congrats to you and your little guy!! Great feeling it must be for him and great feeling for you as well!!! Again Congrats to the young man!! Can't wait to watch it on the 3rd video.... :D
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

LET THE DOGS DO THE TALKING
www.bornagainkennels.weebly.com

ken pack

Post by ken pack »

The face describes it all BIG :bigsmile: Congrats :!:

Dark Holler Beagles

Post by Dark Holler Beagles »

Great pic. Congrats and thanks for sharing!
Brad D
Dark Holler Beagles

Ron Conroe

Post by Ron Conroe »

he will remember that the rest of his life. great pic.

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

Good job dad !
TheJohnBirchSociety

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

Frame that picture and hang it in his room. My granddaughter is getting interested in hunting. Last year she went to a couple of trials with me. She's 11, but I can't wait to get her out. She needs to learn to shoot first but I have a little 870 28 gauge she can use. Congrats to both of you.
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

fasttrackpa

Post by fasttrackpa »

Outstanding! :thumbsup:
Andy Purnell-Dead River Beagles
FC Purnell's Greens Valley Dixie
FC Purnell's Dead River Rebel RIP
FCGD Dead River Hare Razin Ruby
FCGD Purnell's Dead River Ranger
FCGD Purnell's Dead River Bloo Bell

J.C. Blair

Post by J.C. Blair »

It doesnt get any better than that, Jason reading this I couldnt help but think of my dad and our hunting trips, and my first kill, it was just me and him. We lost dad back in september, but I always have memories of him like this to lean on. I hope my twins want to hunt with me one day as well. I know you are a proud dad for sure! :D
EAST RIDGE KENNEL
2010 Natl CH LPGRCH East Ridge Black Phantom
East Ridge The Dark Side
Weedeater Foxy
East Ridge Allie Gator
East Ridge Tomahawk

Joseph J Murphy

Post by Joseph J Murphy »

Very cool stuff !
Bring on Dream Team 3 !!!!!!

Schag

Post by Schag »

Thank-you guys for the responses. Very special moment for me, with my son, as many of you understand. Again, I appreciate all of the compliments.

Chad, sorry to hear about your father. I am sure he is looking down proud of his son as well.

pcable

Post by pcable »

As a father myself, I have to say there is nothing that compares to that moment! Being with my son when he killed his first deer was a priceless experience that I will never forget! Enjoy every minute you get with him. Soon you will look up and he will be grown! Congrats to you and him both!
IF A DOG WON'T HUNT, IT CAN'T JUMP RABBITS!!!
Owner Co-Owner
Cables Ragin' Recoil
Cables Rockin Ruby
Cables Tuff Baba Clyde
Martin's Holly Lynn
Wireman's Little Ann

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

God, family and hounds... Way to go Jason. Looks like you got a great young man growing right in front of you.. Looks like that dog worked hard for your son as well, look at his tail... Beat raw!!!

Hope he kills a for more... Congrats brother.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

Chimney Rock Kennel

Post by Chimney Rock Kennel »

Nice job! Blake just turned 5 I hope he takes to it like you're son did.
Home of

NrFC LPGRCH Chimney Rock's Bad Moon Rising
FCGD LPRCH Chimney Rock's KY Lucky
NrFC LPGRCH Chimney Rock's Shooting Star