Training Question

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

rmassella

Training Question

Post by rmassella »

This week I got a new female puppy, she will be 4 months old on the 19th of November. I also have a 9 1/2 month old female that searches pretty well, is able to jump her own rabbit, and has been consistently running/circling rabbits for the last 6 weeks (we go out three to four times per week). I plan to continue soloing my older pup to build her confidence and I also plan to try to get her out with some other dogs so that she begins to pack up.

This morning, I decided to take both pups to the beagle club. My older pup ran four rabbits and circled three back to me. While we were out in the field, my younger pup had her nose to the ground a lot, would go off into the brush, and she would go off with my older pup when she was searching for rabbits. When my older pup would first open up and start running a rabbit, my younger pup would follow along side or behind her with her nose to the ground. After 10 minutes or so my younger pup would come back and hang out with me searching the brushy areas around where we stood. On one of the older pups runs, the younger pup searched a nearby brush pile and kicked up a rabbit. The rabbit came out the other side running past me; unfortunately she didn't see it, so there was no sight chase.

I know that it's good to get dogs out in to the field as often as possible. Once my older pup opens up and is hot on a rabbit even though my younger pup is following along, the older female doesn't pay attention to the pup. My questions is, since my younger pup isn't started yet, should I limit the time(s) I take my younger pup out with my older pup so that my older pup has the opportunity to have more solo time? I thought that by taking both pups out together they would get used to working with one another, it would help my younger pup get started, and my older pup can see what it is like to work with another dog. I plan to start my younger pup in the next couple of weeks. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Robert Massella
Slippery Rock, PA

sanfordssj

Re: Training Question

Post by sanfordssj »

keep doing what you are doing.....the younger pup is going on the run, and the switch will flip when the pup puts it all together.
HOLLARBACK KENNELS
FC Reggie's Fast Cash
FC Moss's Tula
Hollarback's Reggie's Fast Holly
McDavids KY Lucky Charm
Hollarback's Hurry Up Mercy
Hollarback's Cinnamon Run Zebby

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

I just got a pup too. Nine weeks old. So far I have gotten her out every day to introduce her to where she will be hunting. We walk through thickets, grass, briars, etc. Sometimes she stops and really uses her nose. She is learning and each outing builds confidence. I'm pleased with what I am seeing so far. IMO too much soloing can make packing harder and too much running pup with another dog can make it too dependent. Find a happy medium that works for you. As in all training, set goals and have a plan if something foes wrong.
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

Just keep on doing what your doing and enjoy ! ;)
TheJohnBirchSociety