Alrighty...... Lets Hash This One Out......

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

xdawg

Alrighty...... Lets Hash This One Out......

Post by xdawg »

I'm in search of a hare bred beagle pup that i'm planning on raising up and running on cottontail alone....

If anyone else has tried this tell me about it, did you have any luck?

Also, i've been told this won't work and that i'm wasting my time. However, genecticly both dogs are made the same. And since i'd be buying a pup verses an older dog it wouldn't have had time to develop hare style tendencies....... Or atleast thats the way i see it.....

Tell me what you think......

-Jack

high ridge joe

Post by high ridge joe »

Drop me an e mail....
have a 3 week old litter out of some harebred hounds....
look in trading post under Northway bobcat X langs little leeza
pedigree is there...

joe t

Hilltop Kennels

Post by Hilltop Kennels »

I got into the Hare Bloodlines about 15 years ago and all my have ever run is Cottontail and you can come watch them run, they do fine or I would not have them.

DarrinG

Post by DarrinG »

I have never ran hare but sure hope to one day soon. Now I have been told by many a houndsman that it's not that hard for a cottontail dog to run hare but it can be hard for a hare dog to run cottontails. I've been told that a hare runs and runs unlike a southern cottontail in a heavy briar patch, which will zig and zag and double back. Like I said I've been told by hare hunters that it will take a little time for a dog that has ran hare exclusively to adjust to the twisting, turning line a cottontail in the briars will run. However, I think if you take a pup from northern bred hare hounds and start it on cottontails in the briars, if the pup has "it" in him, he will run cottontails just fine, maybe as good as the "southern cottontail bred dogs". I run hounds from the IFC Taylor's Sock It To Me line, which was a northern bred hound, here on our cottontails in HEAVY briar patches and they do just fine.
+++
He's coming....are you ready?

hounds

Post by Guest »

Need input from the Master of Hounds from Muskatut Beagles in Seymour Indiana, his diatribe on superiority of harehounds :roll: On this one go get'em Chris

B.Trull

Post by B.Trull »

You konw, of course, that was my post Chris :D

Gary A

Post by Gary A »

I have a hare bred pup that I plan to only run cottontails with. I have been told the same thing, but I tend to do what I want. I know for sure after season.
Gary Otte

beaglercaller

Post by beaglercaller »

have a 5 year old hare breed hound. have had him 3 months. he was breed in vermont ran in upper new york. runs a clean track on cottontailgets better all the time when you run him. ran him in midwest spo and made it through 2nd series. does this sound like a hare hound can not run cottontail.

beaglercaller

Post by beaglercaller »

for got to say in my reply i live in kentucky. thats a long way from hare country.

high ridge joe

Post by high ridge joe »

xdawg...
it will work...you can take a well bred hare hound and train it to run cottontail...
i have heard that it is easier to take a hound that is trained on cottontail and train in to run hare than it is to take a hare only running hound and train it to run cottontails...

you could try and contact Paul Kormony...
his hounds usually go big..and have the foot and nose to carry it...

joe t

JOE WILSON

Post by JOE WILSON »

I think you guy's over analyze a lot of things, especially this topic. You can teach a walker hound to run a rabbit. No big deal.....
Joe

Chris Spall

Hare Hounds

Post by Chris Spall »

give me a hare breed hound on cottontails any day of the week over those hole blowing, 3 feet on the ground at all times, mouthy, trash running, never get any better after they turn a year old and used up by the time they turn 5, southern breed cottontail hounds. I don't know where you live, but there are hare breed hounds just burning cottontails down all over this country.
Once upon a time, a man asked a girl " Will you marry me?" The girl said " NO." and the guy lived happily ever after and ran his dogs as much as he wanted to.

Bopeye

Post by Bopeye »

Gee Chris, you wouldn't bust on the south's hounds at all, would ya? :shock:
Coyote problems? Can't fix it with western tactics. Here ya go. http://www.easterncoyotes.com/
You can find me and other Prostaff here. http://www.easterncoyotes.com/prostaff

WSRandy

Post by WSRandy »

lol.......

blackdirt beagles

Post by blackdirt beagles »

got a bit of hare breeding in a couple of our outcrossed dogs. they run just like all my others here in IL. if you have an older running dog, it might be an issue to switch from hare to cottontail or vice versa, but if you got a pup, i think its just a matter of training them to run what you want. shouldnt be a concern i wouldnt think.