IFC X IFC

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Parker7

Re: IFC X IFC

Post by Parker7 »

No matter what you pay always look at the dog you are buying. The papers will normally tell me if it's the style of hound I am after, but seeing is believing I need to see it run to tell if its what i like and remember this "champions have just been to more hunts! "

pcable

Post by pcable »

I have done the bird hunting and coonhunting thing as well, and beagles are underpriced! It's all in what you want, in my opinion. If it is the line that I like I wouldn't have a problem paying $500 for a pup. And I am a poor man!
IF A DOG WON'T HUNT, IT CAN'T JUMP RABBITS!!!
Owner Co-Owner
Cables Ragin' Recoil
Cables Rockin Ruby
Cables Tuff Baba Clyde
Martin's Holly Lynn
Wireman's Little Ann

transman63

Post by transman63 »

I think in some cases people convince themselves what they have is just as good as any, BUT really they are running what they can afford.and nothing wrong with that, but until u have the experience of a( quality hound) out of a proven reproducing line u may not no the difference.
AJ'S KENNEL'S .

Remmy

Post by Remmy »

I don't think $500 for a decade of enjoyment is too much. Food, vet and gas getting them to bunnies each cost more than $50 a year... Any pup is a gamble, but getting a cross from good parents usually is better than some of the cheap stuff.
Home of:
Emerick's Shoot em up Blue Nellie
Emerick's Thicket Chirpin Cricket
Coal Hill's Queen of Hearts
Remmy
Winnie

Director Presque Isle Beagle Club

tdog

Post by tdog »

I agree that paying for quality is the key. Breeding IFC to IFC may not be an easy adventure and the right cross would be worth 500 dollars to me. The reason pups are 150 dollars is because a lot of times people settle for what is convenient not what they feel would be the best choice to better their hounds. A well planned line bred cross may take some effort but should be worth it in the end and have better chances to reproduce later. When you consider the time, money, and effort put into these hounds to find out their potential 2 or three years later I would rather invest a little upfront to improve my odds.

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

Most of the IFC's are hard hitting large pack dogs. Not everyone likes that style of hound. The title is just part of the equation. I will also say as a judge that there is a big difference between one FC and another FC. Not trying to put down anyone's FC, just stating they are certainly not all equal. Some FC's produce far better than others. Some don't produce well at all. Some bloodlines don't cross well. It still all goes back to observing the hounds to be bred and a critical look at what they have produced in the past.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

hlane

Post by hlane »

Last edited by hlane on Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hammer Lane Kennels

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

If somebody can come out with a cross that the pups will be true jump dogs I would give 5 thousand for a pup and it would be a grade dog pup too.Why, there hard to come by.But 500 dollors for a pup and if all good it turn out to be just a good running dog.No theres to many of them pups.JMP.I am a rabbit hunter.finding something to run a rabbit is easy.

Spruce Ridge Beagler

Post by Spruce Ridge Beagler »

Repeat crosses dont always produce the second time around, a pup is still a gamble any way you look at it.
SUCCESS- When preparation and opportunity cross paths!

Newt

Post by Newt »

I wonder what percent of the rabbit hunters are hunting with an IFC or a double mated IFC offspring.
Last edited by Newt on Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

dhoundman

Post by dhoundman »

Depending on where you live / who you now/ the phisical condition of the dog / how meany pups the seller has / how bad does he need to get rid of them / what time of the year it is / and most inportant how much money do you realy want to throw out on the ground and take a chance of ever seeing it again . :nod:
Cause with all the things that can kill a beagle and all the things that can go wrong like losing them on a deer / getting hung in a fence and brakeing a leg or chocking to death / or getting eaten by wild dog / shot at by another crazy hunter / or stolen right out of the field by some body and the list goes on and on. :???:
How much do you have to camble ? That's all it comes down to. :roll:
Beagling is not a por mans sport any more but a por man can still do it and have a great time with or with out papers. :nod:

sanfordssj

Post by sanfordssj »

transman63 wrote:I think in some cases people convince themselves what they have is just as good as any, BUT really they are running what they can afford.and nothing wrong with that, but until u have the experience of a( quality hound) out of a proven reproducing line u may not no the difference.

Very good post!
HOLLARBACK KENNELS
FC Reggie's Fast Cash
FC Moss's Tula
Hollarback's Reggie's Fast Holly
McDavids KY Lucky Charm
Hollarback's Hurry Up Mercy
Hollarback's Cinnamon Run Zebby

sanfordssj

Post by sanfordssj »

For an average hunter who is wanting to reproduce genetics you can do that, but what the average beagler doesnt do is put the training time and solo time that the trial guys puts into his/her hounds. The people who are always winning these trials are not doing it out of luck. They train, run, and put a lot of time into there hounds to make them what they are. After being around the trials for a few years I have seen several Kennels that win over and over with different dogs, and different outcrosses because they have a training system that works! The have a good genetic line of dogs, combined with a trainging system that produces results!

Hurry Up Kennels
Logan Elm Kennels
HOLLARBACK KENNELS
FC Reggie's Fast Cash
FC Moss's Tula
McDavids KY Lucky Charm

sanfordssj

Post by sanfordssj »

hlane wrote:If beagle pups are under priced and 400 or 500 became the normal asking price. what should a stud fee on a fc or ifc
become
same price as ONE pup. I would base my puppy price on what the stud fee is, not the stud fee on what the cost of the pup is.

Stud fee: $400
Puppys: $400 Each
HOLLARBACK KENNELS
FC Reggie's Fast Cash
FC Moss's Tula
McDavids KY Lucky Charm

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

rabbitearl wrote:If somebody can come out with a cross that the pups will be true jump dogs I would give 5 thousand for a pup and it would be a grade dog pup too.Why, there hard to come by.But 500 dollors for a pup and if all good it turn out to be just a good running dog.No theres to many of them pups.JMP.I am a rabbit hunter.finding something to run a rabbit is easy.
:nod:

Off topic kinda but ..........
Line running hounds are a dime a dozen. Promise me a TRUE JUMP DOG and the sky's the limit. I dont care if its IFC X IFC or FC X FC or Grade dog to Grade dog, their whats worth their weight in gold. I've raised litters and also purchased a lot of top hounds, (they had hunt but didnt have "HUNT") looking for what i once had, .......... i'm still looking. You put down 3 dogs that can run well and hunt and yeah you will get races, but you put down 3 hounds that can handle a rabbit and 1 of them is a "JUMP DOG" and you have a slice of heaven, JMO, what do i know?
Home of

HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Kickin Up Dust
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Ugly Sister
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Top Notch Lacy
(aka UKC HBCH Red Oak Top Notch Lacy)