Garmin astro or alpha

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

matt c

Garmin astro or alpha

Post by matt c »

How many of you guys run a garmin astro with a e collar on same collar? I already have a trash breaker with 3 collars. I don't know if I want to just attach the e collars to the astro or try an sell collars and get the alpha. What would you do?

rabbitatfarm

Re: Garmin astro or alpha

Post by rabbitatfarm »

It depends on whether you want to trial or not. You can use an Astro but not an Alpha. I have an Astro and separate e-collars. If I didn't trial the Alpha would work. However, there have been some comments on the e-collar operation on the Alpha.
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

Tuff-E-Nuff

Post by Tuff-E-Nuff »

I have the Alpha and love it however not long after I bought mine it was decided they could not be used in ARHA so I kept it and bought a used 220 just for the trials.
Tuff-E-Nuff Beagles
Silas/Tracy Damron
FCLP Salem's Willy Nelson
GR R.CH Tuff-E-Nuff Annie
HOF Gr.RCh/GrB.Ch Tuff-E-Nuff Charm
Harrogate. TN.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

The alpha is a super useful tool. There have been some issues. I just got mine back from garmin with a "fix". I would still buy it again even though it has a few bugs. I enjoy its purpose.

matt c

Post by matt c »

rabbitatfarm wrote:It depends on whether you want to trial or not. You can use an Astro but not an Alpha. I have an Astro and separate e-collars. If I didn't trial the Alpha would work. However, there have been some comments on the e-collar operation on the Alpha.

I don't trial so that would not be an issue.

44magman

Post by 44magman »

I prefer the astro with the tri tronics on a separate collar . I can run without a shock collar but I will not run with out a tracking collar.

sammiller03

Post by sammiller03 »

alpha. i have an astro its just twice as many collars to charge. hope to get the alpha after Christmas is over and keep the tritronics for pups. it would be nice to only worry about charging one collar . but I don't trial either. just hunt and the less gear i have to worry about charging and keeping up with the better.

Sam
Millers Old Line Kennel
Grantsville, Md.

walkerdogman85

Post by walkerdogman85 »

Alpha all the way! Although I can't use it in most trials I would still but it again.. When my dad and I go to trials I use one of his dc 40 collars.
Michael West
1-740-502-8956
http://www.simmonsrunbeagles.com/

mowhawk madman

Post by mowhawk madman »

I think ARHA Little Pack has made a rule change so you can use the Alpha. They got some deal with Tritronics so Im sure it will no longer be an issue. Might effect a sponsorship or kickback if they didnt allow their use. As far as the Alpha....it is frikkin awesome. No comparison to the astro/dc whatever have ya's. Had a astro 220 and dc 30s. They were OK. Never lost a dog on my Alpha so far and if you can Track you can "Train".

Mhouse

Post by Mhouse »

I had the trashbreaker and so I bought the Astro and three DC40's six months ago! I ran three collars for six months and just bought the Alpha from Chuck Prather of Plum Creek Kennels today. Used it for the first time and it is AWESOME and only one collar!! Don't waste your time and money.......get the Alpha to start with!!!!! :D :lol:
MEADOWWOOD'S BEAGLES

adirondackjoe

Post by adirondackjoe »

i have both the alpha and astro. i love them both. if i could only have one it would be the alpha. the only thing i don't like about the alpha is it doesn't have vibrate, only tone. i prefer vibrate. anyone else feel the same?

cut2dchase

Post by cut2dchase »

Joe ,Alpha does have vibrate , go to setup, then dogs ,
then dog alerts and make your picks.

Parker7

Post by Parker7 »

The vibrate would be nice. As far as the alpha I love mine, money well spent. They are a little expensive but running dogs is my hobbie and I have had hobbies that were a lot more expensive. To answer your question I prefer the alpha because of the shocking range. With other shocking systems I have owned the dogs can get out of range pretty quick especially in heavy cover. Also it weighs a little less then running two units on a dog.

Parker7

Post by Parker7 »

Cut2dchase thanks I just learned something myself.

adirondackjoe

Post by adirondackjoe »

cut2chase, thanks i tried but i meant vibrate instead of shock. can i do that?